Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Starting The Gym...Again

50 posts, 12 members
tabucutie
1811 posts
It has been 2 years since I last actively tried to lose weight. I signed up for the gym again, a couple of days ago and as yet still yet to have my first session. It is the same gym I was with last time. I like the layout and they have an awesome classroom where you can do all sorts of classes by yourself(which i love its somewhat private so less embarassing). Is anyone else just beginning an exercise regime and has some thoughts about getting the first day out of the way? Best intentions the first day will be today.

Also has anyone done the Betty Rocker 30 day challenge. I saw it on FB and signed up 1st day today also. Was thinking I would take my "before" pic and try and find some motivation within myself to get this done. 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Well done for taking the first step and joining! I know the fear of the first day but in all honesty nobody cares and you will find everyone helpful. I used to gym years ago but now i would rather walk down the beach or do things in nature. Just remember losing weight is more about what you eat and the exercise boosts it, well imo anyway. Ive lost 55kg through diet and very little exercise. Good luck on your journey! 
MareeB
5244 posts
Good work! I did some body building when I was young. At the end of that I had a hatred for gyms that has lasted for over 30 years. I'll never set foot in one again.

Jeepers Lisa, you're a legend! 55kg is a highly impressive weight loss!
trudijoy
8375 posts
I love the gym but can’t maintain a membership. I travel so much and have a skeletal condition - as we speak I’m rehabbing a pinched nerve at the base of my skull that’s left me with movement and sensory issues this week. One day I want a couple of machines and a lap pool in my house, that’d be the dream!

as for me, I’ve dropped a dress size in maybe 2 months - I got back off 6 weeks of work travel and my body just went ‘enough, you eat healthy now’. I walk, use a step counter but with my health and body dramas I’m not too strict - 5000 steps 2x a week, 7500 2x, 10000 2x a d one ‘whatever’ day is what I shoot for but I don’t beat myself up.

i do miss the escape of gym or pool but memberships aren’t a good idea for me :(

SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I have gym membership but I only use it for Zumba classes and haven't been for a few weeks so I need help getting motivated myself lol. I make sure I always have my gear in the car so I'm ready to go if the mood strikes me. 
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I just started a gym membership to try an give my exercise regime a boost. My biggest challenge is time.
tannygirl
3392 posts
    I would love to have a gym membership but on a tight budget even with the more affordable gyms I find I could save money buying a program online which was a one off purchase and I can reuse again and again. Was one of my best purchases the year before last. 

I also have a second hand exercise bike which I use. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
Wow that is amazing Lisa congrats! First day gym hang up is normal for me. But now I have got the first couple of days over with it am feeling much better about it. Food is like 80% of weight loss the other 20% being exercise. I am trying to work on both at the same time. If I'm in control of one part the other is usually whack.

@Trudi I did quit the gym as I thought I'd take up walking but I never got around to it. Congrats on dropping a dress size! I would be super stoked to achieve that. 

@soozie I tried a Zimbabwe class yesterday, I thought it would be easy. I was wrong I am quite unco, good workout though. I am really feeling it today.

@itsclearascrystal my challenge isn't time it's motivation ..

@tannygirl I would prefer to do workouts at home. There is YouTube and popsugar  videos that look awesome but I board atm and there is no space and privacy hence the gym. I'm not stoked I am on a contract I hate them but I like the facilities and being left alone. I did have a look at another gym that was cheaper with no contract but didn't like the atmosphere. It was hardcore and intimidating I wouldn't have fit in there

SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Tabucutie - Zumba or Zimbabwe class? Lol. What I love about my Zumba class is that its all ages, all shapes and sizes and plenty of other unco people too. My instructors say it doesnt matter if you can't keep up or do all the steps, just enjoy the music and keep moving. It is a good workout and I swear it actually gets harder, not easier lol. Probably because I don't go often enough. I really must start back tomorrow! I'm noticing a big difference when I don't go.
Imoshen
461 posts
TannyGirl - Check out Bogilates on youtube.com.  I haven't tried any yet but she's supposed to be really good.
trudijoy
8375 posts
thanks - i personally don't see weight loss as an achievement (for me) because my real battle is making my body do what i want it to do despite a couple of underlying conditions (one blood, one bone) that make it really tough at times. I also got really upset when I lost 30 kg and people were really excited about that but didn't want to acknowledge the fact that me pulling myself out of depression was a better victory to me - they only wanted to applaud the superficial change, which grated a lot! I'll take that 'well done' though as I know you didn't mean that, and that's my stuff x

I try not to get obsessive with steps - i count 'movement points' - essentially it's a step counter but to me, movement is movement and if i crank 1000 'points' tidying up in the evening when i could be lying on the couch, i reckon it counts just as much as a walk tbh.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
@tabucutie, after reading your first post on this thread, I googled the Betty Rocker 30 day challenge (I didn't know what it was), and I've signed up for it ... today is my Day 1.  

I'm probably not going to be able to keep up with doing it every day, as I have a weird work schedule, but I plan on following it as best I can.  I don't have a huge amount of weight to lose (I need to lose around 10 kgs), but my main aim is to tone and tighten all the flabby areas that I'm not happy with, and get back into the clothes I haven't been able to wear for the past 4 years.  

I have been doing the Yoga by Adriene videos on YouTube (at home) for the past few months, and love doing those, so this 30-day challenge will be a little more hard-core for me.  

Good luck, tabucutie, we can do this!  
tabucutie
1811 posts
@soozie: Lol sorry must have auto corrected and I didn't notice but yes Zumba. Really? Oh I was hoping it would get easier lol. Feeling much better than yesterday, maybe will try for a session tonight but definitely tomorrow as it is my day off. 

@trudijoy: I did not mean to come off as offensive I am sorry if it was perceived that way.

@silvene: Hey thats awesome, I have done day 1 and 2( day 2 wrecked me lol was in good workout pain yesterday) which was day 3 so that wasn't happening. Its supposed to be my day 4 today. I also have a weird work week so will probably end up compiling some workouts together just to catch up. I have seen some super awesome transformations so hope mine is even half as a good id be stoked. I took day one pictures and probably will take some updated ones throughout. I like the workouts though, easy to follow when doing it with someone via the video. I also check my emails daily so that serves a great reminder.

trudijoy
8375 posts
nah nothing against you at all hon just my own stuff about weight loss and why our society heralds it as a massive achievement when really the underlying self care is the achievement and the weight loss is a byproduct xx
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Tabucutie, today is one of my Zumba days and I'm not sure I'm going to go (knee pains today) but you're kinda motivating me to go :)
RamblingRose
1280 posts
@tabucutie, I’ve just done Day 2 ... and now I’m wondering what I got myself into!  Those mountain climbers just about killed me.

I have also taken before pics, and I plan to take pics on Day 15 and then Day 30. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
After talking myself out of it all day, I finally made it back to Zumba today! Woohoo! Feeling accomplished! 

Tabucutie, I find it hard because I just don't go often enough! 
MareeB
5244 posts
You ladies are an inspiration x
Macs
5351 posts
That’s awesome.

This year my fitness has fallen to the back burner . I’ve put on 2 kg . Trying my best to get myself back on track .
tabucutie
1811 posts
@trudijoy: Self care is so important and often something that is put on the back burner of importance. Society is so superficial its extremely difficult to find self acceptance and improve from there when all people seem to care about is the external, not internal.

@soozie:Stoked I can motivate you and congrats on making it to your zumba class! Today is my day off so I will be going to the gym today :)

@silvene: Day 2 was brutal for me lol,  I felt it everywhere and everything was accomplished albeit slower. Feeling better today so will probably be doing Day 3, 4, and 5 today just so I can catch up. Feel a bit intimidated about that but excited for it to if that makes sense.
trudijoy
8375 posts
tabucutie <3 Yeah i know. I got hung up for a long time on not being pretty before I decided to just rock whatever I have and make the most of it.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Trudi have you seen your pic? Lol you are gorgeous! As are all you ladies xx
trudijoy
8375 posts
thanks Lisa x I should post my glow up pic comparison i did recently, it's truly shocking ..

def dont' see myself in that way BUT im no longer the way i was ie ashamed of myself and unwilling to be seen in public at times....
RamblingRose
1280 posts
@tabucutie, did you see the bonus video on Day 2 about 4 biggest mistakes challengers make when doing the 30 Day Challenge? She actually warns against doing additional exercise or more than one challenge per day, as too much exercise can apparently halt weight loss. It was interesting, as I’d been doing a yoga class after each day’s workout, which I’ve now stopped doing.
tabucutie
1811 posts
@Silvene: No i didn't see that all, interesting point and not one I had heard of. The couple of daily challenges I have done have been after a class which I haven't felt to bad about. I  suppose I am at a bit of a loss as I was unable to do yesterday as well. I'm not going to have time until after work tomorrow. Not feeling great about that.. 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
@tabucutie, how are you going with the 30-Day Challenge?  Just thought I'd check in and see how you're doing, seeing as you were the one who motivated me to sign up :)

If you feel you need some encouragement, or just want to chat about how it's going, feel free to private message me on Instagram or FB ... the links to my accounts are listed on my BR profile.   Have a great Hallowe'en!
tabucutie
1811 posts
Hi @Silvene. Have been so caught up with work that I have only managed 4 days so far though I think I should be on...10 or something by now. Today is my "Friday" so I am hoping to get back into it and catch up. I have 4 days off and I am trying to establish a new routine that will be work and exercise friendly. 

Thanks for checking in, I have been wondering how you have been doing too? I hope all is well!
RamblingRose
1280 posts
It’s been tough going, but I’m still doing it. My body hurts in different places every day, lol, but I’m determined to get through these 30 Days and then take up yoga again. Today’s Day 11 for me, and it’s a ‘rest’ yoga day, so I’m quite looking forward to it. 

I weighed and and measured myself yesterday ... no actual weight loss on the scale as yet, which doesn’t faze me as my body feels stronger and I can see that me legs have toned a lot (the cellulite is less and the skin feels tighter and less wobbly, there’s more muscle).  Measurement wise, I’ve lost one or two centimetres in certain areas, so that’s great. 

There have been days where I really haven’t felt like doing the workout, as my body’s been too sore, or it’s been a long day and I’m tired, but then I tell myself that it’s only 15 minutes and once it’s done, I’ll feel much better about having done it. 

I don’t know if you watch the bonus videos at the bottom of the emails, but they’re great. They contain helpful info or are part of her “Motivational Monday” blog, and really do help.  Yesterday’s one was all about progress and how it may not feel like we’re losing weight yet, but to hang in there because the changes happen internally before they start showing externally, etc. (like boosting metabolism and burning fat).  It was exactly what I needed to hear to keep going. 

Hang in there tabucutie, keep doing what you can, when you can, even if you end up doing the 30-Day Challenge over a 60 day period, or whatever it may be, just don’t do too much at once and burn yourself out. A little bit every now and then is still better than nothing at all! You can do this! 

tabucutie
1811 posts
Sounds like you are doing awesome work! Definitely a motivating factor for me, it's nice to chat to someone else who is doing the same journey. I inadvertently pulled calf muscles in both legs during a fire drill at work so am completely hobbling around at present. I thought maybe I could do core exercises or something?

I don't tend to watch the bonus videos at the bottom of the emails but will definitely check them out in future. I generally feel stronger in my body though I have not jumped on the scales in like 2 weeks. I feel better in myself and more confident in the way look (despite the awkward limping thing atm) Ironically, now that I have some days off work I don't feel up to exercising though I do look forward to being better so I can get in and get it done. Maybe tomorrow.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
It looks like I’ll be taking a few days off, too ... I ended up hurting both shoulders during her workout routines, all due to too many days of push-ups, tricep dips, and downward facing dog/plank-based yoga in a row.  She had far too much upper body stuff for my poor shoulder joints to handle, so I’ll be taking the weekend off to recover before getting back into it on Monday. 

I hope your calves recover soon. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
Sorry to hear that, I hope you have a restful and healing weekend.

My calfs are almost better so will be into it tomorrow which I am looking forward to.
I prefer running outdoors in the morning and exercises at night. Works pretty well for years :)
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Betty Rocker 30-Day Challenge is DONE! Today was day 30 for me (it took me 33 days to do in total, due to a shoulder injury one week in), but it’s finally finished.  I won’t lie, I’ve been stiff and sore every day for 30 days and I can safely say that I won’t be putting myself through that torture again, although I will be using some of the exercises that I learned as a pre-yoga warm-up & fat burn session.

I’ll be weighing, measuring and photographing myself on Monday morning to see what the final results are.  I’ll be doing a 30-Day yoga challenge next, starting next week, which will be much less hectic but still good for toning and weight loss. 

tabucutie
1811 posts
Congrats Silvene, I think I only got a s far as day 6 and 4 sessions at the gym in the last month. It's less than what I wanted but thats down to injury, work and can't be bothered/excuses. I keep looking for motivation elsewhere as I can't seem to find it in myself (motivation pics/encouraging words etc). Where do I go from here? I don't know but I still have 11 months left on my gym membership and 24 more challenge exercises to complete. I just got back from my birthday holiday. Dear I say I am planning to go to the gym tomorrow before I go to a friends thanksgiving.
tabucutie
1811 posts
8 months has passed since I started this thread and I was just wondering how everyone's doing with their health and fitness goals? Me personally, I'm into the swing of things. Currently a solid 2-3 sessions at the gym a week, some weeks more if i can. Down..11 kgs and measurements down too (haven't added it up yet) Still a long way to go but enjoying the journey. Its nice to have a bit more confidence.
MareeB
5244 posts
Ermmmm.... I've been sick but hope to get a good system going when I can.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Nice work! Do you have a goal in mind? I've been going on some amazing bushwalks and using my car less. Winter time makes me lazy though. I'd rather stay by the fire and watch movies lol. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
    I'm still doing my home workouts. Made changes to my diet so I've lost a bit of weight.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I stopped weighing myself and developed some body confidence, and now have a much better relationship with my body.

currently on a health plan - calorie counting with a goal of more mindful eating, and counting steps on a sliding scale (I try and hit 2x5k, 2x7.5k and 2x 10k steps a week with the 7th day being a whatever day - I might not wear my tracker that day, or might not care, or might do 20k steps but it’s my call :) 

im focusing on my health now that I’ve decided to be happy with my body - following some amazing chicks on insta for body positivity and after wandering  around in bikinis in Fiji at definitely not my smallest and realising no one cared, I feel empowered 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I’ve just finished reading “The French Don’t Diet Plan” and it made so much sense!   I’ve stopped calorie counting, stopped weighing myself, stopped eating “fake” foods and started looking at ingredients on the stuff I buy, per the book. 

I haven’t done any yoga for the past two weeks, due to a back injury, but the plan is to get back into daily yoga as soon as I’ve recovered. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
@MareeB: Sorry to hear that, I hope you get better soon. It's the season for it isn't it? I was sick the whole of June it was crazy, glad to be past it but I started getting the sore throat and the cough today..here's hoping it doesn't become something more.

@Lisa-Lou: Ideally i'd want to be back where I was in college. Not small by anymeans i'd still be plus sized but I hoenstly can't picture myself being smaller than a 16. I'm okay with that. I'd love it lol. I prefer the car than being in nature it's too cold! I'll wait for Spring to do my outdoor walks :)

@trudijoy: I find that so inspirational that is great! I have half body positivity? I actually like the way I look in outfits I buy and wear in private but just don't have the confidence to wear them outdoors, I still care what people think. Probably some form of trauma from childhood when I was called out for wearing shorts from passersby..I am going to try and wear a particular outfit on a social outing in a couple of weeks..Not sure how that's going to go but I will find out..
tabucutie
1811 posts
@Silvene: I hope your back is better soon. I want to go back to Yogalaties but a bit afraid really. I did a number on my lower back last year and have been scared to try again since.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I’m 38, it took me long enough lol. 

xx
MissDilly
229 posts
I turned into a bit of a fitness addict this winter and knocked off the chub that made the clothes not feel so great.  Loving home workouts - I love the channel groovefitness on vhx.tv - I zumba and dance my day into gear each morning and try to get to 15K in steps each day - but anything over 10K is a good day..... With more balanced food choices and working out at 5am each day (kids still asleep when hubby is travelling for work - so it's my 'me time) I've dropped 9kg's in 12 weeks and feel fantastic.  The workouts have been fantastic for my mindset and just feeling generally happy. Sometimes I get myself into a bit of a mood-dip and the fitness side has really changed that for me ...
RamblingRose
1280 posts
@tabucutie, thank you.  I do yoga at home (using Yoga by Adrienne videos on YouTube), as I’m able to then fit it in around my weird work hours and don’t have to worry about trying to make it to a class on time. 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Wow @MissDilly 9kg in 12 weeks! Good job!
tabucutie
1811 posts
@MissDilly great work!

@Silvene that's awesome. I have no space nor privacy in my current housing situation. But when I move next year I hope to set up an at home routine as well.
MareeB
5244 posts
Great work ladies. I hope you can get your back sorted Tabucutie - health is the main priority in the end, that's for sure.
tabucutie
1811 posts
I think my back pain was weight related, at the time it was my heaviest. Since having lost some weight I rarely have the pain now. Health is so important I agree!
Macs
5351 posts
Man I’ve put on weight like 4kg i  lol I’ve been doing lots of unhealthy eating. I really need to get back on the wagon . ASAP 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!