Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

What are your favourite scented candles etc

129 posts, 80 members
karenmarie280
88 posts
I recently tried out the ecoya range after seeing it on beauty review and I am in love,
I would like to know hat other brands you guys like and what scents are your favourites ?
ohlovelynicole
191 posts
Bath and Body Works (US store) have the most amazing smelling candles! I am in love wi their Pineapple Mango scent, it reminds me of summer and I'm already on my second. I have a varied range of scents but vanilla scents are usually my favourite. I can't wait to try their hot buttered rum scent when they go back into winter! The only thing is they don't ship direct to nz so you have to find a way of getting them here. 

I really want to try the Ecoya candles after spotting them in Farmers one day. Oh and Glasshouse has a great range too which is stocked at Peter Alexander's nationwide :) 
lauraisme
52 posts
I would love to try the Ecoya range, but can't really jusify paying that much for a candle hehe. But anything vanilla I love!
LisaE5
447 posts
YES Peter Alexander's shop always smells AMAZING!!! Whenever I walk past, I have to go inside, the frangrance draws me in. Great sales tactics there :P
Xtinastar
165 posts
I also love the smell of all the Peter Alexander candles, and really really want to try the Ecoya range, i know i will love the vanilla one!
xjayloux
900 posts
Aromatherapy co hands down.. Mainly because i cant afford ecoya on a regular basis.
xjayloux
900 posts
Anyone tried 'wax melts'? You get the amazing scent of a really nice candle but they are a lot longer lasting.
baileybreanna
119 posts
Absolutely love Ecoya candles! French pear, and sweet pea and jasmine are my favourites. The jars are great to use after the candle is used up. They can be expensive but Living and Giving have specials on them often :)
LisaE5
447 posts
I haven't tried wax melts but would love to. They seem to be very popular in the US as companies such as Yankee Candle have a huge range of all and they seem like such appealing scents
xjayloux
900 posts
Im currently giving yankee candle melts a go.. They are so long lasting! Ive been burning one melt for 16 hours now.
LisaE5
447 posts
Oh really? that seems like such a long time for one product. I may just have to give them a try :P
RachelM
345 posts
I was lucky enough to be given the Ecoya black gift box - Lotus, oh so yummy, wasnt too keen on the lip balm but the lotion and candle are divine.  A friend of mine gets all her essential oils from lotusoils.co.nz has anyone else tried this NZ company?
sunelizabeth
410 posts
I've got a wholesale account with Lotus & buy heaps of stuff from them. They're great!
lucygollogly
14 posts
We sell this one at my work (Life pharmacy) and it is to die for.. I cant think of the brand name but it is "Vanilla Bean" flavour and its in an orange container. It honestly smells like freshly baked vanilla cupcakes! good enough to eat!
lenarose
313 posts
I have a bunch of wax melts, they last soooo long and don't take much room  to store unlike big class candles. I love the glasshouse candles though :)
rayray91
19 posts
You might all know about this place, but the Aromatherapy Co Outlet shop at 339 Onehunga Mall Road. SO CHEAP! All the candles that are sold in Farmers, Smith and Caugheys etc are in there for half the price if not cheaper, plus they do seconds and end of lines, and Nursery/Mother&Baby; stuff.. Well worth a look :)
xjayloux
900 posts
I keep forgetting to check that place out! Thanks for the heads up x
tanitaandtia
144 posts
I love wax melts they last so much longer and the scent os stronger in my opinion, i really like the cheapies from the warehouse - the red ones , pomegranate i think they are, and anything vanilla!
beckyj7
40 posts
I have a couple of the Bath and Body Works candles in pumpkin caramel latte and pumpkin apple and they are amazing. My room smells so yummy when I do use them
BarbaraMay
131 posts
I totally heart Yankee candles - the big jars last so long (and seriously who knew a candle could make your house smell like fresh linen?!)

I love the melts too.

I'm a sucker for any Yankee candle that smells like home baked goods!  And I love the Christmas ones, like mulled wine, or cinnamon.  Totally lush

chikoboo
3402 posts
Love the Yankee Candle range, as well as the Betty Crocker range (got from US site) they both generate true to life fragrances not just perfume.  The Betty Crocker range though can leave you hungry and a strong desire to bake lol

meimei
81 posts
they are so pricey but the candles (which name now eludes me) from red current are amazing (NOT ecoya) theres a caramel one that is utter heaven. I splurged and bought one and do not regret it a single bit. My flatmates kept coming into my room as it just smelled AMAZING
xjayloux
900 posts
Glasshouse mei!
Nicole
23 posts
The other day in the supermarket I saw the Glad scented candles and impulsively bought one. I wouldn't usually have bought that kind of thing from the supermarket but it was actually quite good! Pretty cheap, i think it was ~$6 and when its finished the glass that its in will actually be very useful.
makeupnic
21 posts
I agree, Ecoya are amazing! Also I am obsessed with the Bomb Cosmetics candles...currently burning the White Chocolate Truffle candle.
Kaiarahi
160 posts
Ecoya ones are amazing, but super pricey!I also buy The Aromatherapy Company ones, waaaay cheaper and lovely too. They don't throw scent out as well as Ecoya due to them using only essential oils but a great alternative never the less.  I got some today from Living & Giving (which clearly from the other posts I've made is one of my fave shops lol) - Buy one get one free and 30% off at the moment. So I got 2 candles for $21! 
raniwelsh
104 posts
my FAVE at the moment is from Anthology..its the Vanilla bean soy candle, mmm so delish! My partner said I have to move it out of the bedroom because it makes him want cupcakes lol...hosestly smells heavenly!
Laura-Gaylyn
24 posts
My lovely sister has the Ecoya vanilla candle which is delicious but very sweet. I am on the hunt for a nicely scented mocha candle.. (;
Oh and just been looking on Bath & Body Works and I cant wait to buy some of theirs
MSharp90
3 posts
My mother in law absolutely loves Ecoya candles and since moving in with her I have also fallen in love with them. The scent can fill the home quickly after lighting and Ecoya have some great scents available.  I also have wax melts and find these to be a great alternative to candles and often use them in my office which is a smaller room. 
Allymay
26 posts
Has anyone tried soy melts . How long do they last and what's the difference between melts and candles?
lapereau
46 posts
I didn't know that myself and had to google it and managed to find this:

"In melts a candlemaker can use more fragrance than in candles as the candles could become flammable themselves if you go over the limit to use. Each wax has a different % that you can use for your fragrance to wax ratio when making candles - you don't want to ever light a flammable candle!! Melts are not made of the same soft wax as used in jar candles or tealights though.

...As fragrances can become costly when used in larger quantities, this will help to explain the price of melts by comparison to candles if you are comparing by size."
Allymay
26 posts
Where are some good cheap vanilla / sandalwood melts?
courtnayadele
11 posts
I used to buy my melts from Kirkaldie and Stains, but they were a bit pricy. Then one day i stumbled upon some amazing vanilla bean melts in The Warehouse. They were only 10 bucks and you get 5 of them. They have a pretty good lasting power for the price. I burn the same melt about 3 or 4 times with a fairly good result. I definetly reccomend them, especially if you havent tried melts before. It doesnt appear to have a brand sorry. They are in a black and flesh coloured box with Vanilla Bean written on the front :)
Youphoria
6 posts
I am candle obsessed. My girlfriend started up www.whimsycandles.co.nz and if you LOVE the Ecoya Vanilla or French Pear you need to try hers. She has both vanilla and pear. They are only $24.99 (I think!) for the medium size and they fill up a room beautifully. She fragranced my wedding with 30 of her French Pear candles and it was amazing. I have just bought "Sistine Chapel" by Glasshouse which is kind of smoky and incensy so not for everyone but I've tried all of their candles and this was one I'd never seen before. If you are keen for a major splurge Diptque candles are amazing and so are SOHUM.
Kaiarahi
160 posts
I've been using the Ecoya soy melts instead of candles lately - The scent is waaaay stronger! 
Bayley
238 posts
Glasshouse candles from Peter Alexander! Absolutely addicted. I own the vanilla/caramel and can't get enough. Have also gifted the passionfruit and lime one...was so hard to let it go haha even in the wrapping it made my room smell so good!
Oh my goodness I just adore candles and melts, and they can be any flavour. At the moment I am burning a vanilla melt from flicker candle which is a NZ website. They have a great range of candles and fragrances. I've also come across a site called candle crush, does anyone know of it? It again is a NZ site. I may now have to treat myself to an Ecoya or a Glasshouse candle after reading everyone's post, if anyone lives in Hamilton, Redcurrant have a great selection. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I got a gorgeous one in my last Sample Bar I think it was or it was a special edition - Eco Soya Massage Candle Lime 'n' coconut, its soooo good.  I love the smell of it and then once its melted you can add as a massage oil.  Its heavenly :-)
Mrs_rain85
437 posts
The lime and coconut massage candle is from Surmanti... thier stuff is amazing, thats my fav candle too
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Yes, thats the one hun, sorry didn't see the brand in the little circle on the top.  I could eat it, its that yummy lol.
chikoboo
3402 posts
I decided I want a really nice candle for my dresser in the bedroom but went on 2 sites and got so many choices I gave up after about 45 minutes of trying to decide.  Think I'll have to check some stores out in Chch when I am there for the day that way I can actually smell them. Can anyone point me in the right direction of where I could get some great candles in Chch =)
tannygirl
3392 posts
  Chikoboo, I haven't been there for ages but the best scented candle I remember and the one I would have bought on the spot if I had the funds was at I think the shop is call RedCurrant and it's in Spotlight Mall down on Colombo street in Christchurch in the Sydenham area. They had a decent selection of candles there not just Ecoya. I can't remember the brand but it was a pink candle and had a lovely rose and apple fragrance, they not only had your usual vanilla and pear scented candles but also caramel scented ones, ones that had a perfume like fragrances and a bunch of other ones. I don't know if they still sell them as I haven't been there for at least a year, but I can tell you it smelt that good for me to remember it. Another place is Stevens near/in Farmers in Westfield mall they do have a selection of candles there I don't remember which brand but they smelt really good and expensive which they were but every once in awhile the shop has specials and half price storewide days. There's also loads of other gift shops and stuff where they'll sell candles but I haven't checked them out. I hope this was helpful.
brushandbullet
395 posts
If you are feeling super lush and spendy, Diptyque is amazing (Mecca Cosmetica sells them). Also Curio Noir (a NZ brand) is fantastic. SOOOO expensive though. Like others have said, Living and Giving often do good sales where candles are 40% off, keep your eye out. Also the Aromatherapy Co outlet is amazing, love their candles :D
tannygirl
3392 posts
The candles I remember I liked the most scent wise was a rose apple scented one but I can't remember the brand. I do have an ecoya candle in sweet pea and jasmine that I got when Westfield was doing a special of spend this much and get stamps that can be exchanged for a free ecoya candle and that smells really nice and not like a cheap fragrance. I do wish I had picked a stronger fragrance as this one takes a long time to scent the room and it's just barely noticeable you have to leave the room and then come back to notice a hit of it in the air.
100_percent_ash
488 posts
In December I won a candle from the Aromatherapy Co. I saw it was Juniper Berry and White Thyme flavour and planned to gift t to my mum for Christmas. One sniff though and I couldn't bear to part with it. It smells AMAZING. I never imagined this strange sounding combination would actually be the most incredible scent I've ever encountered in home fragrance.
Iamjessgrant
12 posts
Before I moved into student apartments, I was a candle junkie and burnt excessive amounts of candles all the time.... I found that a great way to try out new brands and scents is to go onto nzsale.co.nz because they have at least one candle sale every week! The good thing is that some of the candles are really cheap, and smell great! If you get lots of smaller sized candles you can pay similar price but have a wider range of scents to choose from:)
Cat
474 posts
I have just opened a package from candlecrush today. I brought some of their melts to try and they smell ridiculously good! I'm burning 'if you like piña colada' right now and my room smells like pineapples. So good! I also have 'like a kid in a candy store' smells like jelly beans and just sugary sweetness! 'Lions and tigers and pears - oh my!' Is of course like pears, really nice! And lastly I have 'just one more cookie' it literally smells like cookies... Kinda confuses my tummy! They're NZ made, great price and packaged super cute in little reusable tins! Free delivery too. I ordered mine on Tuesday, paid by bank deposit and received today. Great service!
1139 posts
Oh I haven't heard of Candlecrush before! I'm now on their website trying to figure out which melts to buy - they all sound absolutely amazing.
xjayloux
900 posts
Second that their melts are fab! I was given the coconut one, its divine and seems never ending with burn time! The fiance absolutely loved it too which was a bonus! 
Cat
474 posts
I already want to order more! I got the 4 thinking I'll give them a go and I'm already thinking I need to try every one!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!