Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

My hands are ageing!!

35 posts, 17 members
SmileyPisces
253 posts
Hi peoples... I work in an environment that requires a lot of hand washing... The number of washing at work plus the number of washing at home is starting to take a toll on my hands..  I try to apply hand cream at work during break times... but later i’ll just be washing it off again.

My hands, especially fingers don’t look as plump and healthy as they did a year ago... plus i feel my hands are getting more and more fine lines that looks like will turn into premature wrinkles quite soon... Although my hands are not dry dry itself.. i do have a few bits of slightly thicker and drier feeling parts of the skin at the tips of my fingers and around my nails that i peel off. I feel like the skin on my hands (and elbow) has lost quite a bit of its natural bounce and elasticity.

I’m not quite 30 yet... so i’m not quite really to have wrinkly hands yet.  Any suggestions on how to get rid of those premature fine lines and restore my skins natural health and elasticity? 

Thanks =)
trudijoy
8375 posts
100% you need to be washing them with something softer.

Also try intense overnight hydration creams - chuck one on, put a pair of cotton gloves on (or socks on your hands) and go to sleep.

You might also need to get a doctor to look at something like a fatty cream to help out
SmileyPisces
253 posts
Thanks Trudijoy.. =)

Yes i’m continuously looking for some good hydrating hand creams to put on overnight. Need to start taking proper care of these delicate hands. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
this is my holy grail fave
SmileyPisces
253 posts
Aww... shea butter.. macadamia oil... and oh marshmallow!! Sounds yummo!! 
trudijoy
8375 posts
it's delicious, and they even do a $4/$5 travel (50ml) version - I just buy it in the smaller size and have them in a few places
tannygirl
3392 posts
    I have eczema and my hands are prone to drying out my holy grail nighttime handcream is the Weleda Skinfood and I do notice a difference when I use it. I have tried other hand creams in the past but I always go back to this one.

I usually buy it off Healthpost because it's under 19 bucks for a 75ml tube but you can also pick it up at Farmers or iherb for around 23 bucks I think. It might sound a bit pricey depending on what's your price range for a handcream but you don't need very much and I find that a tube lasts me for months.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I used to get eczema on my hands but this has disappeared since I started using Lush's Handyguru handcream at night. It is quite heavy duty and takes awhile to absorb so I use something like the Soap and Glory hand cream that Trudi recommends during the day. I also stopped using liquid hand soaps at home and now just use bar soap. SLS is the culprit for me so you might want to try avoiding that at home too - not so easy with hand washes at work and out and about though.
SmileyPisces
253 posts
Thanks! Will look into those too =)
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Don’t forget to exfoliate your hands (once per week) using either a facial scrub, body scrub, exfoliating glove, or even just a bit of sugar mixed with a little olive oil.  Exfoliating your hands will help get rid of any excess dry skin, and can make your hands appear less wrinkly. Just remember to moisturise well afterwards. 

I like to use Oasis Rhino Repair on my hands, as there’s no greasy residue, but it gets rid of dry skin. 
AboutFace
413 posts
You could try Ecostore ultra sensitive liquid handwash or Cussons oatmeal bar soap. My hands would get itchy and sore and I found the Moreish hand cream really soothing but you may need to purchase this one online. I know it's a petrochemical but straight Vaseline jelly on your hands at night followed by gloves may help. You could go to your doctor they may prescribe a moisturizing hand wash or try a health shop and they sell Weleda as Tannygirl mentioned. I haven't tried lush but they sound nice too.
SmileyPisces
253 posts
All sounds pretty good... I should so start hunting for some nice exfoliators
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
I reckon don't give up on the hand cream even if you'll wash it off, even brief periods of moisturising can help. Also you could try chuck on a heap of heavy moisturiser and then wrap your hands up in glad wrap (like a mummy) when you're watching TV or doing something that doesn't require heaps of hand work.
tabucutie
1811 posts
As far as I know I don't have an SLS allergy but the hand wash at work completely strips my hands of moisture. I am an avid hand Cream wearer and it helps a lot.  It is a hassle to keep reapplying after every wash but it's worth it.
Imoshen
461 posts
I also have strips (yes STRIPS) of skin that come off around my nails and some of the layers are so thick that my fingers bleed.  

Lately though, my fingers have completely healed and I'm no longer getting those dry bits that I pick at because they catch on things. 

As far as I know I have changed two things in my diet, one is eat more carrots but I don't think that is what has caused the change.

What I think is that I recently started taking Radiance Ageless Beauty not for the collagen, there are no studies around to say that taking it is helpful at all.  I take it for the Hyaluronic Acid in them and I suspect this is the true cause for the skin on my fingers to calm down as the dry fingers started to come back when I ran out. 

I know you can buy Hyaluronic Acid from iherb so I will try getting some from there to see how it all goes.
Julieal
915 posts
I would use a barrier cream om several times a day -usually pretty cheap and help protect your hands if you can;t wear gloves
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Tabucutie, if the hand wash strips your skin, it probably does have SLS in it - it's primary purpose is to strip and degrease. (An allergic reaction is something else again). I can't use SLS in cleansers as it leaves my skin feeling tight and hot, almost burning. I've given those cleansers to friends who said it left their skin lovely and soft (those products also had great reviews on here too). So it's not an issue for everyone but sounds like you might also be sensitive to it. 
SmileyPisces
253 posts
Thanks for all the feedback.. will definitely look into it all ;)
MareeB
5244 posts
Imoshen that sounds terrible!! I hope you find a permanent answer to it.
MareeB
5244 posts
Good luck with it Smileypisces!
SmileyPisces
253 posts
Thanks MareeB  =)
tabucutie
1811 posts
Thanks @worldofsooziewong. I will keep that in mind and try to avoid it in future purchases.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I use the same one that Trudi mentioned and I love it and it smells amazing. The good thing is as mentioned above, that there is a trial size, so maybe get one of those and if you like it, you can upgrade to the bigger size.

I also use The Righteous Butter which is really good. Even the boss steals some of me from time to time (and he's a male lol).

The good thing about S&G is that they are totally affordable and that is what I really like when you haven't tried something before.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Have taken a couple of photos so you can see the difference before and after applying the hand cream, I couldn't add them here for some reason, but have put them on the Photowall.

Hope that helps xx 
SmileyPisces
253 posts
Thanks Mumof3Munchkins!! =D 
tannygirl
3392 posts
    The best soap that I've found for my eczema prone skin is the Sabun one but it's 15 bucks for two 200g bars. Has a weird smell but it's the most gentle soap I've come across. It lasts me a really long time when I use it in the shower.

But when I use it as a hand soap with a full house of people in using the bathroom we manage to use it up really fast. So I came across this really affordable glycerine soap on iherb that's about 7 and a half bucks for three bars. And that I put that by the sink and even with a large family one bar lasts about 2 weeks. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Mumofthree, my students go crazy for the S&G hand sanitizer. If one kid uses it, the whole class wants some lol. The boys sit there sniffing their hands going "this smells soooooo nice". It stinks the whole room out and it's great for covering teenage smells lol. 
triffid
151 posts
Keep trying to wash with gentle handwash where you can.A good handcream is a must and try to keep extras in places so you can use it more.I also find when I moisturize my face at night I rub the excess on the backs of my hands.Actualy a good nightcream applied before bed on my hands means theycanbe nourished overnight and works well too
SmileyPisces
253 posts
Yes yes, totally agree =D
stephxo
4 posts
I suggest using coffee scrubs as an exfoliator. I get extremely dry hands in the winter and the coffee scrubs moisten and make my hands look healthy and plump again. I  like the Franks coffee scrub the most and use it 2-3 a week before heading to bed. You can find them them in Mecca stores or online.
SmileyPisces
253 posts
Coffee.. scrubs... Oh! Sounds yummy for the hands ;D
Macs
5351 posts
I'm searching an old post for a hand cream . My hand sanitizer at work is drying my hands out along with over washing.
Kat555
143 posts
It looks like you've got heaps of awesome suggestions. I have really old looking hands. I always have. There are a couple that I really like. Something called Du'it Tough Hands. It works incredibly well. Also the Neutrogena Norwegian formula hand cream and weirdly enough the foot cream. Also the Elgy cracked foot balm. These I have found to be super intensive if you really want to make a difference to your hands. None smell particularly beautiful but boy do they work well.
Pat17
390 posts
It is tough when you have to continually wash your hands. I have heard that Urea cream is really good and  if you are at the Dr's they may be able to prescribe a stronger version.
MareeB
5244 posts
At work everyone uses Cetomacrogol cream and it works wonders. You can buy it at The Warehouse. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!