Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

What Were Your Best Skincare and Bodycare Buys of 2018? Worst?

36 posts, 10 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
Another year has passed and you're a skincare junkie like me you've probably bought heaps of skincare or tried heaps of skincare. So what were your standouts that you discovered this year and why?

One standout for me was the Ordinary's 30% Vitamin C Suspension in Silicone. Now, not gonna lie. It stung my face every time I applied it for about 15 minutes for the first two weeks. If I went more than a day without applying it my skin lost a bit of tolerance and I could feel the tingle but to much lesser degree. But after going through two tubes some of those pesky sunspots I had lightened a little bit and my skin got a lot brighter. The sunspots stayed lighter months after I stopped using it although the skin brightening effects have gone way down. Given the price and the fact that it did what no other previous and extremely expensive treatments and serums have done it's a winner in my books.

Kiehls Creamy Avocado Eye Treatment was another winner. I had super dry undereyes that had pronounced hastags from other products that really dried them out. I got a couple sachets to try and loved how it just locked in moisture and smoothed things out a bit overnight. With better results in the nights to come. Unfortunately, not all my lines disappeared but the few that remained are much finer and softened.

tannygirl
3392 posts
    I also really love the Heimish All Clean Balm. It's so gentle and amazing for removing makeup in my oil cleansing step even eye makeup. Gets everything to almost everything off. I used this when I had an allergic reaction to eye patches and it barely stung my skin to no stinging at all. Best of all rinses off almost completely without the need for a wash cloth and a little goes a long way. It's a new staple.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Best skincare : Garnier Micellar foaming Cleanser. I like the gel wash version but the foaming one is muccccch better and we can’t get it here :/ Also Urban Decay pore refining mask, also not available here. Grrrrrr.

Worst: farsali unicorn essence. Wanted to love it but it broke me outttttt. Sad.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I had so much skincare that 2018 was the year of trying to use it all up so I could try more. Am nearing the bottom of the barrel so excited to try new skincare in 2019.

However, in 2018 I did  finally try micellar water. Am undecided on how I feel about it. 
alikat
423 posts
Best: Not a product you can buy, but a salon service - Dermaplanning. My skin glows and my foundation sits on my skin so much better, also no peach fuzz. Pixi Glow Tonic. Kate Sommerville Exfolikate, origins ginzing eyecream. Rediscovered my love of rosehip oil.

Bad: Kate sommerville daily cleanser dried me out so bad.

MareeB
5242 posts
Dermaplaning is the bomb! Getting rid of the peach fuzz and dead skins cells leaves my skin looking shiney and fresh. It's wonderful.
MareeB
5242 posts
My best skincare was the L'Oreal Paris Age Perfect Intense Nutrition regime that I trialled through BR. It is fabulous.

The Olay Ultimate Eye Cream was disappointing. I had high hopes for it too because I like other Olay products. Guess they can't get everything perfect all the time - some people are going to like some things, and some people will like others.

I'm using the Natural Instinct range at the moment, and loving it.
Emily-jane
314 posts
My best skincare finds last year would be the Eve lom cleasner and brightening cream. I've only been using a few weeks but already noticing a difference. 
MareeB
5242 posts
I just looked that up Emily-jane - yikes is that stuff expensive or what??
Emily-jane
314 posts
Maree, I was gifted the radiant ritual set for Christmas.  Not sure how I will manage to continue using it once it used up. Pretty expensive indeed.
MareeB
5242 posts
Lucky Emily-jane! sounds like it's worth the money though?
Macs
5351 posts
My 2018 were: 

Scrub was Lush Salt and Peppermint Bark and Rough with the smooth bars

Lush Body Conditioner Rose Argan, Snow Fairy and Solid body conditioning bar One Upon a time and Buck’s fizz. 

Lush Solid shower gel bar Twilight and Lord of Miss Rule solid. 

Night Cream Evolu,Micellar Water in oil perfect make up remover,Oxygen Cream Cleanser all hits for me. Skinfood Coconut oil and Tony Moly Under eye Panda Stick all good.

Worst would be Dr Lewwins eye cream, Neutrogena Face cream spf , Olay Foaming Cleanser , Skinfood Wipes. 

Honestly havent found my holy grail skincare . First time this year I didn’t do a lush xmas haul . Kind of regretting it now . 

MareeB
5242 posts
I really want to try the Skinfood coconut oil Macs.
trudijoy
8375 posts
What is the Skinfood coconut oil used for? Could I use it as a makeup remover?
MareeB
5242 posts
Actually I'm sure you can, but I hadn't thought of that. I was just thinking of using it for a facial moisturiser.
tannygirl
3392 posts
     I really like the Hado Labo Premium Moisturizing Lotion. It's more moisturizing/hydrating than the regular one. Works really well as toner in simple skincare routine. I like to layer it underneath my moisturizer if I'm doing an lengthy skincare routine and it really plumps up my skin. I'm going to repurchase it.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Dear Klairs Supple Preparation Unscented Toner. Interesting story. Okay I seem to be allergic to most eye patches because just about most if not all of them seem to sting my eye area somehow but one of them left me with a rash because I stupidly left it on and the next day I had double eyelids. I stupidly decided I wanted to make use of my newfound eye shape and wore makeup despite having a rash and that really pushed the allergic reaction over the edge. I big red panda eyes and undereyes of a 90 year old. I rumaged through my things and luckly I was able to put together a skin care routine for sensitive skin. Unfortunately, because my skin was so inflammed almost everything stung a bit although less than using my normal skincare. 
    This was the item that stung the least to not at all. I patted layers and layers of it on because it hydrated my skin and stung less than my aloe gel. It's now a staple. The only con to this product is that is smells like hydrogen peroxide, but that fades pretty fast once you apply it.
tannygirl
3392 posts
      I also really liked The Chemistry Brand's Hylauronic Concentrate. It's not cheap but it's really good for that hit of hydration if you have any areas on your body that need it, just make sure you seal it in with a good cream afterwards.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Bon Bon's Peaches and Cream and Hot Chocolate Body Butter. They smell amazing and the texture is amazing. Texture wise and hydration wise they are just a small step down from Pure Fiji but way more affordable.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   The Ordinary's Reservatrol + Ferulic Acid - used in conjunction with vitamin c really helps to brighten the skin. I added just a couple drops to my Vitamin C suspension from the Ordinary and it really did help to brighten my skin. I had plenty left over when I finished up my Vitamin C from the Ordinary so I've been using it with other vitamin C products that I've had and it's been really nice. 
EliseMM
120 posts
Loving reading all of these interesting comments! 

Best - Mecca 'To Save Face' SPF 50. Moisturising, great as a primer, and of course it has a high SPF content. I also love Natio's 'Ageless' SPF 30 day moisturiser. Basically, I'm determined to include sun protection as a more consistent part of my routine. 

Worst - I trialled the Estee Lauder pomegranate 'Radiant Energy' duo through BR and was thoroughly confused and disappointed. They didn't really achieve anything for me, which is such a shame because Estee Lauder are generally one of my fave brands. 
MareeB
5242 posts
Eeee it's hard to think Estee Lauder do anything badly :)

Welcome back Tannygirl!
tannygirl
3392 posts
    One product that I bought but didn't really like was the Frank Body Green Tease Scrub. Now I love Frank Body Scrubs. My fave is the coconut one. I wanted to try the Green Tease one because it sounded interesting and it had coffee in it. So I moved it out of the bag to a tub for use in the shower. It was nice, I didn't like it as much as the coffee scrubs but it was plenty moisturizing. I kept it out of the water and kept the lid screwed on the jar and moved it out of the bathroom once I was done showering like I do with all my scrubs. The next time I opened up the jar, all the scrubs granules had turned in one hard rough clump. I got very little use out of the bag. I'll stick to the regular coffee scrubs. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Probably one of the most disappointing skincare products I've used this year was Origins A Perfect World Age Defense Treatment Lotion with White Tea. It's not a lotion but a toner, the ingredient list sounded good on paper but it was so strong from all the essential oils every time I used it my face stung and I don't have overly sensitive skin. I honestly was considering just chucking it out despite it being expensive, I didn't buy this directly but I got this in set when I was after the spf eye cream from Origins and I bought a few of the sets so I had a few of these bottles. I actually feel bad for the people I gifted these to since I was putting together gift packs a threw one or two of them in and I only kept one of these for myself to try out which I did after I gave the other two away.
tannygirl
3392 posts
    I should also mention Origins a Perfect World Cleanser with White Tea. I didn't like this either it was very drying for my skin. Again I didn't buy this directly it came in a set that I bought multiples of. I actually gave away two of the cleansers before I tried it myself, I feel bad for those people. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
Origins Modern Friction Nature's Gentle Dermabrasion - not a fan! It was loaded with SLS and the granules weren't concentrated enough for it to be a good scrub and they were sharp. Luckily this wasn't something I bought but came as gwp mini.
tannygirl
3392 posts
    Origins Dr. Andrew WEIL  Mega-Mushroom Skin Relief Soothing Treatment Lotion. This isn't a lotion but a toner, I actually pulled this out when my skin was in recovery from the rash I mentioned earlier but it burned. It burns if I use it on skin after having hayfever, so I wouldn't recommend it for sensitive skin despite the claims. It also smells very strong and masculine like it was unscented but targeted at men. It's fine on my skin if my skin is normal and doesn't have any irritation but this line was supposed to be for sensitive skin. Luckily, this wasn't something I paid for but a gwp.
tannygirl
3392 posts
Thank you Maree. :-)
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Snowberry Bright Defence Day Cream No 2. This is very comfortable on oily skin but it on the list because I found it really hydrating to use under my eyes and it didn't sting. I like to layer products a bit when it comes to my eye area and the very light texture of this was really hydrating.
tannygirl
3392 posts
Supergoop! Eye Cream spf 37. I'm actually sad that the online store I bought this from doesn't sell this brand anymore because it's so nice and light, non-irritating, has a mineral spf and the highest spf for the eye area in an eye cream that I have come across. I'm gonna hunt around for an online store that sells this brand and will ship it to Youshop once I use up my spf eyecreams from Origins. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I'm absolutely loving the Mario Badescu Face Sprays. They have been a godsend in this heat especially at work where we have no air conditioning and the only fan I have is a tiny USB one that fits onto my computer. I'm especially loving the Lavender and Chamomile one. 

Also I'm obsessed with Soap & Glory Motherpucker Lip Plumper. Not a fan of the taste or smell but that product does amazing things for your lips.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yesssss the Mario sprays are amazing. I keep mine in the fridge. Bliss on overheated skin
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I love mists too - I may have purchased four whilst I was away, lol, including my favourite, Pixi’s milky mist. There was also two waiting for me when I got home in my parcel from the Vault. Those two have gone straight into the fridge!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I guess my Best Buy (although I may have started using it in 2017?) would be Mecca’s To Save Face sunscreen. I’ve always hated using sunscreen on my face but this just feels like lovely skincare, and is also a good primer under makeup. I now finally wear sunscreen every day because of it.  

Worst buy for me was definitely Heimish Cleans All balm. After using it for about a month, my eyes had a severe allergic reaction to it. The pharmacist told me to never, ever use it again!
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
They're amazing aren't they Trudi? I have one of each now. I keep mine in the fridge too as they are so cooling and soothing on hot days. I have the rose one at work in the fridge.

Oldest son got a bit sunburnt this morning and sprayed the Aloe and Cucumber on him. Instant relief. Looks like I'll be ordering the full sizes for the whole family to use lol.
trudijoy
8375 posts
My fave is the rose Water, aloe and herb and yep, heaven on over sunned skin! And so cheap!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!