Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

3 posts, 2 members
Zinnia
2 posts
Hey there,

I'm new to skincare, and am trying to start a simple regime to protect and restore my skin. 
I spend a lot of time outside and in the ocean and would like to know whether a retinol night cream would be suitable for my lifestyle.

I've read that it can increase skin's sensitivity to sunlight, and I'm wondering whether I could continue to surf while using one at night.

I have very pale skin, and in the water I wear SPF40 zinc. Generally,  I don't burn while using it. However, I've read a lot of warnings against using retinol in Summer on other blog posts, and am wondering if there's anyone out there with a similar lifestyle that can share their experience. 

Thanks! 
:-)
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Welcome to the forums! I don't share your life style but I have used retinols, both prescription amd over the counter for decades!

You could try starting off with a very gentle retinol and just use once a week to start with to see how your skin reacts. Ideally use it on a night where you won't be in the ocean the next day. Retinol could also make your skin more sensitive to wind and salt water. Always use SPF when using retinol whether you are in the sea or not and I would recommend  SPF50. Mecca do a lovely one for everyday use that's more like skincare than a regular SPF. 

I would recommend Caroline Hiron's retinol cheat sheet  for further info. Her website is a wealth of sensible skincare advice. 

Zinnia
2 posts
Thank you! Will check out the product and the link. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!