Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Please help! Perioral Dermatitis

8 posts, 4 members
rachelgm
12 posts
Hi beauties! 
I'm wondering if anyone has had any issues with, or can offer any advice for perioral dermatitus? I went to the Dr a month a go when I had a flare up and she seemed to think it was a skin infection, gave me antibiotics and a face cream, it cleared it up for a short amount of time but it's flared back up again, which is making me think it is perioral dermatitus! Would love to hear from anyone else who has it and how they ended up getting rid of theirs.

Thanks in advance x
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I've not experienced this myself but it is something Caroline Hirons talks about often as she gets it herself. One of the culprits in some people can be SLS in either face washes or toothpaste (I've just recently realised that SLS doesnt agree with my own skin - it will give your skin that horrible, tight, hot feeling after you use it and make your skin 'squeak'). 

Sorry, my iPad won't let me create a nice tidy link, so go to carolinehirons.com and search for the cheat sheet on the right hand side for perioral dermatitis. Her other cheat sheets are also a great read for anyone interest in skincare. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Whilst I was on Caroline Hiron's website, I remembered to watch her latest empties video that she's posted. She talks about perioral dermatitis, SLS and toothpaste during the last couple of minutes of the vide so you might want to watch that. 
Imoshen
461 posts
Where abouts have you had the flare up?  Face?  Hands?  Behind the knees?  

Look at the ingredients in your products and if there is any Sodium Lauryl or Laureth Sulfates (SLS), fragrance or essential oils see if you can find an alternative product for them such as QV or Cetaphil (even this isn't guaranteed because Cetaphil can still contain questionable ingredients).

Go gentle, see if you can get your moisture barrier repaired and then add your products back in slowly one at a time to see if you can figure out which one is causing it.

Also, if the Dr has prescribed any steroid creams, use only the tinniest amount on your face.  Steroids can be very harsh for facial skin.
rachelgm
12 posts
Thank you both so much, I'll look in to the SLS side of things, it's been such a nightmare trying to figure out what is causing it. 
The flare up is always around my mouth, sometimes under the nose, and also between my brows and sometimes down towards my eyes. But the worst of it is around my mouth. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Cetaphil contains SLS so I would avoid that too. 
siouxsannah
261 posts
Check if any of your skincare products contain the preservative methylisothiazolinone, or methychloroisothiazolinone. It is a known irritant overseas and causes dermatitis in about 10% of people. I have had dermatitits from products containing it.
Imoshen
461 posts
Siouxsannah - love how those preservatives are pronounced but don't ask me to attempt it myself ;).

rachelgm - check your toothpaste as many of them contain SLS (even though this may or may not be the issue).  I suggest trying Sensodyne and it might be a bit pricey but you don't need to use a lot of it.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!