Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Oil facial cleansing... anyone tried it?

16 posts, 9 members
Kat555
143 posts
I ran out of my Clinque bar cleanser which  I have loved forever. Anyway I couldn't get anymore at the moment and I had heard a little something about oil cleansing so I've been trying it with some oils I have in my bathroom cupboard. I have quite combination skin and am prone to break outs so I thought it might be a stupid idea. Anyway. I am surprised how nice my skin is and am wondering if I might continue with this type of cleansing. I'm interested to know if anyone else has tried it too?
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I usually remove my make up and semi cleanse with rosehip oil and when I first started doing that I noticed it improved my skin tone as well.
MissDilly
229 posts
I only use oil and cream cleansers as my skin can be quite dry and silky if I use soaps on it. I really love cleansing at night with Trilogy's Rosehip Transformation Cleansing oil. I think I did a review on it recently if you look for the product in BR. It's a lovely product and leaves my skin clean but hydrated and so soft - its a good price point too and often has specials and bonus gifts if you buy it at Healthpost. Changing from soap/foaming cleansers to oil and creams really changed my skin for the better. 
Emily-jane
314 posts
I also recommend the Trilogy transformation oil. It's so lovely and soft on my skin and really gives a good cleanse. This is the only one I have used so not sure how other's compare sorry. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
double cleansing changed my skin. I used to use the ZA oil cleanser but when it was discontinued here I switched to the Body Shop Camomile one for a while, before discovering that I prefer balm cleansers (which are solidified oil cleansers). 

the Body Shop Camomile balm is lovely and I quite liked Drunk Elephant Slaai, but my absolute must have holy grail one is Clinique 'Take The Day off' balm. 

over summer I wanted something lighter and switched to First Aid Beauty's Coconut Micellar Makeup Melter for  a while  . It's really lovely but if I could only use one makeup remover for the rest of my life it would be the take the day off 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I love Cleansing oils - I used to use one from Moreish that was really good. I also love the one from The Bon Bon Factory, feels so good. I'm not using one at the moment but definitely will be checking in o  this thread for product recommendations.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Another big fan of balm cleansers and double cleansing here. I've used a few as well as oil cleansers. I'm currently using Jordan Samuels Skincare After Show cleanser and can't see me using anything else from now on. I've never felt this way about a cleanser before. It's just a beautiful experience lol. You can only get it directly from his US website or from Cult Beauty UK. He's a genuinely lovely person too and interacts with all his customers personally on social media. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I recently got the Clinique cleansing balm that I can't wait to try, but just waiting to finish up my other cleansers first before I open it.

I've not had good results from cleansing balms in the past as it's like cleansing my face with vaseline lol.

The1Natasha
1 posts
Hi there, I'm new to this so bear with me.
I am personally a fan of cleansing oils which are either runny or in the form of a balm. The ones I recommend are Lush ultrabalm, Okana Mango and Apricot sorbet cleanser, and Rice water bright Rich Cleansing oil by The Face Shop. 
I always follow an oil cleanse with a foaming facial cleanser. 

Kat555
143 posts
Oh thanks so much ladies. What a great response. I  will have to dig a little deeper I think. Double cleansing isn't something that I had heard of either.
Kat555
143 posts
Actually when you say double cleansing, do you use the oil cleanser first and then a regular cleanser?
tabucutie
1811 posts
Yup I do Kat. Naturally being an oil cleanser can leave a bit of a greasy residue, so the second cleanse just removes the greasiness and or left over makeup. Cleaner feeling for me anyway. Not a big oil cleansing fan though. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
yeah basically with double cleansing, the first one is for your makeup and the second is for your face.

So your first cleanse should be focused on removing the extra layer on your face - makeup, whatever else you encounter during the day - and then the second is more about your actual skin - keepinng it clean, not stripping it etc.

Oil as the first step is great because it melts away your makeup without drying out your face so that the second cleanse is less likely to strip your skin. 

I use Clinique Take the Day off or FAB Coconut Micellar melt as my first cleanse as they're gentle and  effective, then Garnier Micellar Gel Wash as my second because it works well with my skin. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
your oil cleanser shouldn't leave a super greasy residue hon.   How are you removing it?  A hot facecloth is best, to wipe away the oil and the makeup along with it.  You shouldn't have makeup left on your face after an oil cleanse. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Everything Trudi said. Also first cleanse is to remove SPF too. Even if you're not wearing makeup,but are wearing SPF you should be double cleansing, otherwise the SPF can cause breakouts. 
Kat555
143 posts
Oh thanks for that. I was just doing the oil cleanse and then using a hot face cloth to remove everything. I was surprised how well it worked and that my skin has been quite balanced since. But that's a good point about the SPF removal too. I think I used to get into a habit of over cleansing and I have found this is a huge improvement. So great that I can just come here and ask all my silly questions! Ha ha

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!