Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Natural/Organic Skin Care Question

10 posts, 7 members
thirtywinks
60 posts
Early this year I decided to shift to natural/organic skin care from my usual chemical-based skincare (I was using Paula's Choice) as the latter started getting too dry for my skin. I am now using the Thayers Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel Toner with Aloe Vera followed by the Esssano Rosehip Oil, but it seems like the rosehip oil is not enough to moisturize my skin (I have combination skin).

Has anyone combined rosehip oil with other skin care products and seen good results? 

Also, I'm curious to know what other natural/organic skin care have worked really well for your skin in dry weather. 

Thanks a lot! :)

Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Heya. I have very dry skin also. Things that help are crop macadamia oil, crop night cream, also hydrating sheet masks, I just used a botanicals one last week with marshmallow root and it also comes with a serum for after. My skin felt amazing. Lots of cleansers dry my face out so I use micellar water all the time. The loreal sugar scrubs are also fantastic, I have the nourishing one.
tannygirl
3392 posts
    What I like to do is layering. I'm currently using some products from the Ordinary so not all natural but when I was using mostly natural stuff I would layer a natural water based or sometimes two under the facial oils. I currently really love the Antipodes Hosanna serum I've tried deviating from it in favour of more affordable products but my skin actually feels different.

Another option is if you don't want to spend a lot of money is to swap your toner (if it's a spray) for a natural gel toner. An asian brand Secret Key has some big bottles of toner for a low price on Yesstyle and the ingredients on them are mostly natural especially the aloe one. You could just pat on several layers of it and really plump up and hydrate your skin prior to applying facial oil.

Lastly find a nice moisturizer that complements your skin. A gel one is great for oily skin but also hydrates drier skin. There are heaps of natural moisturizers out there.
thirtywinks
60 posts
@Lisa-lou: I've started using micellar water too! I'm currently using the one from Bioderma and I'm very happy with it, except I would usually need to use a 2 to 4 cotton balls sometimes to fully remove my make-up. I used to use make-up wipes from Simple but I'm trying to slowly ease out of it. For the hydrating masks, how often do you use them a week? I usually do masks once or twice a week but my skin is still dry. Not sure if the masks are ineffective or they're meant to be used more often.

@tannygirl: I've tried a few serums in the past (SK-II and Paula's Choice) that despite having really good reviews gave me breakouts. :( Maybe I'll give the Antipodes Hosanna serum a try. Can I ask moisturizer do you use with it? 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I use 2-3 make up pads to remove mine with micellar water. Kmart sells a pack of 60 for $1.50 and they are a great size. The sheet masks are $3 from Kmart but I'm not sure the ingredients would be what you are after. I only use once a week. I use crop hydrating moisturiser in the morning, I love it.
trudijoy
8375 posts
i use reuseable facecloths for micellar water etc! I put oil cleanser on, remove it with a hot, wet facecloth, then dampen another with micellar water, wipe my face over, and then rinse.
Macs
5351 posts
My skin is going through a dry spell. I add drops of rosehip oil to my day and night cream. Stay away from foaming cleansers . Go for gels or oil cleansers not as drying.
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I use rosehip oil with other products. I tend towards a gel cleanser and rich moisturiser, which is enough to usually keep my skin in good shape. I use Antipodes, Plantae, Living Nature as my more expensive but really good brands. If I'm looking at something more affordable, I tend towards Essano and Skinfood.
tabucutie
1811 posts
I'm using Natural Instinct Nourishing Facial Moisturiser. You can get it from countdown, its vegan, CF and pH balanced. It's very moisturising and hydrating. Might be worth a try?
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I tend to use whatever night cream or non-spf moisturizer I'm trying to use up. I'm currently trying to use up the Evolu Rescue Rehydration Mask, since I've had the tube for awhile. I really love this overnight mask/nightcream it's light and but gives hydration. I do want to repurchase it at some point but I need to use up all my other moisturizers that are going to expire if I don't. I also have an Oasis Beauty Sleep in the old airless pump bottle that I've had for awhile that I'm trying to use up. 

If you are looking for a nice light moisturizer to use at night Evolu is known for their light texture in moisturizers but they are pricey. The Antipodes Rejoice day cream is amazing as well since it's so light. I think also the Corsx Sleeping Masks there's a honey and there's a rice one that are super popular and mostly natural ingredients and not overly pricey either. 

I would recommend going to Farmers or Life Pharmacy and trying out the different natural NZ brands.  I know you can request samples at Life Pharmacy. If you are interested in cheaper alternatives check out iherb for brands like Andalou naturals they are natural as well and have lines for different skin types.

Lastly if you don't mind a few synthetic ingredients check out the NZ Skinfood range. There's a Nourishing Moisturizer that's really good at hydrating and doesn't feel heavy and the Light Moisturizer absorbs quickly and has that refined texture that you'd find in a more expensive brand but it's about 15 bucks a tube. I totally recommend their Mud Mask if you like a mud mask that dries completely and sucks oil out of your pores as it dries. I've tried more expensive mud masks like that but the Skinfood one is one of top faves.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!