Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Holiday makeup and haircare advice please :-)

25 posts, 8 members
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Hi ladies. So I am heading to Vietnam for a 2 week holiday next year and wanting some advice please. I know it is hot and humid, do you ladies just go makeup free or can recommend something for a light base that won't melt? Is it worth even taking my hair straightener or easier to do a messy bun to fight the frizz. Anyone been to Vietnam? (Soozie and Trudi I'm looking at you) lol. Also when packing do you take toiletries on the plane or in your suitcase? Thanks in advance!
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
Hi 
Its hot not so humid as you think 
My hair can't stand humidity and I had no problem with frizz while over their 
even in Halong Bay 
no hair friz at all 
I did mascara a bb cream with sunblock :)
hope that helps 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Awesome thanks! What parts did you go to? Do you have a favourite? We are doing the South.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I’ve not been to Vietnam butttt...

(assuming you’re going in summer)

i dont go totally makeupless in asia in the heat, I opt for tinted spf lotion and mattifyong powder, waterproof eyeliner/mascara and tinted lipgloss. I def do my ‘set with spf spray’ trick too. Your hair straightener may not work - diff plugs and currents. I actually own a Japanese dryer and straightener as that worked out just as cheap and easy. I often just braid my hair of pop it up during the day but at night it’s cooler and nice to do your hair and face if you’re going out. Def take some oil or something for your hair, mine gets hella fluffy. 

I aleays take a glad bag of minis on the plane - lotion, a small eyeliner, mini mascara, lipgloss,  small pack of baby wipes, vial of micellar  water, hand sanitizer etc etc. plane bathrooms suck and that water isn’t something I want in or on my face. You can’t take anything over 100 ml and some airlines you can get a few toiletries in flight if you need them.

take tampons and antiperspirant, and your own supply of toothpaste  
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Thanks Trudi some great advice. I purchased a plug that I can use in Vietnam lol I thought I could just plug my straightener in. I better check that, I don't want unnecessary items.
I usually wear bb or light foundation and mascara so hoping to stick to that and not look a hot mess. Ive never used a setting spray, what do you recommend?
trudijoy
8375 posts
Straighteners are often dual voltage so COULD be okay but yeah def check that.

In summer I use neutrogena beach mist over my makeup and it sets it a bit but mostly protects my face. I also love glamglow ‘glowsetter’ - the mini is about $25, smells amazing and works to refresh your face as well - I flew with this to Hawaii and carried it around and it was awesome . I’d also take a small spray bottle of something like the Mario Badescu rosewater aloe and herb toner, which I keep chilled and is amazing on overheated skin and as a quick morning refresh.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
All good advice from Trudi. I've been to Vietnam four times. Three of those times I travelled from Hanoi in the North to Ho Chi Minh City in the South. It does get humid, depending on the time of year. It can also be surprisingly cold at other times of year in parts of the country. 

I dont bother much with makeup at all when I'm travelling in hot, humid countries. I start of with good intentions and then can't be bothered. My trips tend to involve lots of early mornings and long bus/train journeys lol. My hair is short and I pretty much gave up on even washing it in Cuba due to the awful shower situation where there was either no water/no hot water/taking your life into your own hands even getting into the shower lol. 
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
I was there for a month 

Halong Bay is worth doing a boat cruise 
and if you stay overnight on the boat it's amazing  
so much to do and try, so worth doing the tunnels and markets 
it's a beautiful place
Shorts or a dress a messy bun sunblock with a tint lip balm and a mist spray 
a good hat 
oh you'll enjoy 

Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Yay im feeling a bit better with all the great advice thanks ladies! Trudi I am going to buy the products you said lol I will copy you :-) Haha Soozie I knew you would have been! We are doing Ho Chi Minh, Da Lat, Da Nang, Nha Trang, and back to Ho Chi Minh, please excuse my spelling and wherever else we decide to go on the way. I was a bit worried I would look like a sweaty drowned rat so I want to be prepared.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Choose those overnight boat trips wisely though. Another one of my travel horror stories involves a boat on Halong Bay. Or 'Cape Fear' as we ended up calling it lol. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
It’s REALLY common in Asia to carry oil blotting paper, a face cloth and a fan. I’d also recommend all those things. The blotting paper works incredibly well at de-sweating your face lol
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Lol we shall choose wisely Soozie :-) I will definitely be getting a fan, I think they are so pretty too.
trudijoy
8375 posts
And I love snapping the foldable ones open Haha. Got taught it in some manner of class in Japan and never lost the skill ;)

Exciting! I’m 99% sure I’m off to asia next year too, but not Vietnam :)
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I've been to all those places. It's over ten years since I went to Da Nang. There used to be nothing there at all, you just went there to get to Hoi An. A friend went recently and i didn't even recognise it from her photos. Definitely go to Hoi An, it's one of my favourite places. 

Trudi, I still have a huge stash of oil blotting papers. Stocked up on them when I left Japan and I've barely needed them since lol. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
What time of year are you going, Lisa-Lou? 
trudijoy
8375 posts
I use them sometimes over the Akl summer - I’ll go restock in daiso at some stage lol
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Hmmm yea we were deciding whether to go to Hoi An, only 4 hour drive, we are going march/april. Seems ages away but I am excited.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Hoi An is really close and to Da Nang, definitely not a four hour drive. April will be hot! 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Oh yea i was thinking somewhere else, we were looking last night and it was only an hour if i remember correctly. Unfortunately my mate works at sea for 4-5 weeks so we are not too flexible about when we can go. What would feb/march be like?
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
It would be a bit cooler. You're best looking up average temperatures for where you want to go. The temperature in the North and South are very different and Da Lat is in the mountains so that's different again. 
KiwiLass
174 posts
I just got back from a month away in some very hot and humid places (includign Hong Kong) and I have very fine, fizz prone, bleached blonde hair. I found the De Lorenzo Instant Restructurant spray reccommended by my hairdresser to be really good. Likewise Angel en Provence hair conditioning treatments.
I didn't go makeup-free (and literally spent all my spending money at various Sephoras....). But being really prone to sun spots, this year I was vigilent about using a good vitamin c serum morning and night (Mad Hippie one is great, from iherb - it absorbs quickly). I then used an SPF 50 lightweight face cream (Neutrogena I think) or [color=#000000]Heimish, Artless, Glow Base, SPF 50+/PA+++ followed by Benefit's Be Happy SPF 25 foundation.
And Benefit mascara, Huda eyeshadow on top of a base (Huda LASTS seriously well!).
Also, an SPF lip balm is a must - I used Blistex Deep Renewal.
However, if I was having a beach day, then it was just sunscreen all the way, applied regularly.
And a hat - always a hat and sunnies.[/color]

itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I do my make up the same and do my hair in a side bun if it gets frizzy.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Thanks ladies! You are all so helpful!
Julieal
915 posts
I loved Vietnam but really hot so I just wore a good moisturiser,sunblock and lippy and mascara. A toner is nice too as you can refresh with this
lisaflow
9 posts
Nice tips dears! Thanks everyone

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!