Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Face Oils & Sunscreen Questions?

30 posts, 17 members
tabucutie
1811 posts
I have a couple of beauty related questions. First thing first. I am really not a fan of "oils". I currently have the  A'Kin Brightening Rosehip oil open and just opened Goodness Chia Seed Oil. I dislike the A'Kin one due to smell and it's quite a heavy formula on my face. I was wondering if I could use up the rest of this oil as a body moisturiser? Or should I just give it away? I find the Goodness Chia Seed Oil has hardly any smell and is so light on my face I will continue to use it.

Second beauty question: I am aware I should be using sunscreen on the daily but am confused about where it fits in in a routine. Eg:Does it go cleanser toner moisturiser sunscreen?Or cleanser toner sunscreen moisturiser?And what if you add an oil in there? 

Comments and suggestions would be appreciated. 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I’ve used Rosehip oil as a body oil before with no ill side effects, as I couldn’t stand the smell on my face.  I added a few drops to my bath water, too. 

I cleanse, tone, serum or oil, moisturise, and then apply sunscreen, purely because I want all the other products to sink into my skin and the sunscreen to sit on top. Also I don’t want to “dilute” the sunscreen with moisturiser, if I’d applied them the other way around. I also wait a few minutes between applying the different products, to give each time to sink in. 
Imoshen
461 posts
Sunscreen goes on last and technically does need to be reapplied through out the day (if outdoors a lot, every two hours, if indoors, at least 2-3 times).

NZ has a shocking selection of sunscreen to choose from so I have been dabbling in some Japanese ones and they are amazing.  I've just been trialling this one and am blown away by how cosmetically elegant it is.  It goes on white, dries down to a soft shine which I can then apply my tinted sunscreen over the top followed by mineral foundation.  Sits all day beautifully.

Check out Japan Mart.  Everything is in Japanese but you can take notes and go home to research about it.

Dr Dray on youtube has many, many videos on sunscreens that will hopefully point you in the right direction on how to select one.

PS Many sunscreens also contain moisturising ingredients so you can skip the moisturiser and just use the sunscreen.

Macs
5351 posts
I’ve never used my face oils as sunscreen before . Mostly I use mine as a primer under my foundation , fly aways on my hair , as a nail cuticle treatment or under my night cream . I normally use rosehip oil . But at the moment I’m using skinfoods coconut oil as a treatment for my skin. 

I normally cleanse , tone, serum day or night cream . I also like to put serum on after a face mask .

trudijoy
8375 posts
in summer i set my makeup with Neutrogena beach mist and never ever get face, neck, ears sunburn. BEST HACK EVER.

Otherwise i use the skinfood SPF lotion as a day cream
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Interesting hack, will have to try it.

I've used face oil on my body no issue.

And the best sunscreen I've found for with make up so far is Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer Dry Touch.
Julieal
915 posts
I have recently trialled Olay moisturiser with sunscreen and was really impressed -Easy to use and no extra step for sunscreen
trudijoy
8375 posts
Also please don’t use oil as sunscreen or add it to sunscreen. Oil heats up in the sun and causes issues. Like burns and skin cancer. Not a good idea.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Macs, I think you may have misread the original post but please don't use any type of oil as a sunscreen. It won't protect your skin at all and is like smothering a chicken in oil before you stick it in the oven to roast it.

I won't give the full details of my skincare routine (will take too long lol) but I do skincare then sunscreen then makeup. I think what Trudi does with the sunscreen spray over makeup is brilliant and I keep meaning to do that to top up during the day. There's a lot of debate currently about whether we should also wear sunscreen when we are inside all day due to exposure through windows and also from blue light. 

I was a bit slack about wearing sunscreen every day as most of the dedicated sunscreens are just so awful. That was until I discovered the Mecca Cosmetica ones. They seem expensive but are lovely to use - they just feel like really nice skincare and a small tube lasts a long time. I don't need to use moisturiser when I use them. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
As far as using facial oil on your body, sure! Any face products I don't like get used on my hands or body. Any that I really don't like, get used on my feet lol. 
Macs
5351 posts
Lol Yes I think I did read that wrong . I’m lazy with sunscreen in winter. I have two bottles sitting in my hallway credenza for the kids to put on before school each day . I’m pushing them to wear it more than myself lol We just using a Neutrogena sensitive sunscreen at the moment .
Sophia
203 posts
Rosehip is pretty expensive to chuck if there's nobody to give it away to, but you could definitely use it on cuticles and elbows and other bits .
I have a little container on the table next to where I sit to watch TV at night and that's where i put my hand creams that I need to let sink in such as Rosehip, where I wouldnt normally have the patience to wait haha

trudijoy
8375 posts
I mostly use rosehip oil on my hair or rough skin
shazatron101
5112 posts
i never know when to incorporate things into my routine either, tabucutie. but for me i try to do 'lightest' to 'heaviest' so oils and things are last. sunscreen has always gone last for me though, as i have a bizarre thought in my head that its going to ruin my routine and my moisturizer won't soak in lmao
Kimrose
1419 posts
I love the beach mist Trudi, I recommend it a lot at work.
tabucutie
1811 posts
Sunscreen last, that's easy enough to remember. Cool I won't get rid of that oil but ill use it as a body oil. Would hate to waste it plus from memory I have atleast another 2 oils waiting to be used.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I’ve tried 3 or 4 Kim and neutrogena is the best, followed by aveeno I think
EllaLemond
6 posts
@[url=https://www.beautyreview.co.nz/profile/page/view/tabucutie]tabucutie
thanks for sharing.[/url]

MissQT
1547 posts
Re sunscreen my method is similar to those above. I do cleanse, tone (but often don’t tone), serum/oil, moisturiser then sunscreen. Followed by makeup. If I’m not going to be outside directly in the sun (eg everyday at work in the office) I will use a face moisturiser with SPF in it.

re oil, if you have dry hair you can use it on the ends of your hair
tabucutie
1811 posts
A year on and I have successfully incorporated sunscreen into my skincare. I still use oils as such, the ones I don't like just become body oils. Product gets finished and no wastage,  win!
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I need to start using a sunscreen too - I'm a shocker for skipping this step.

I'm looking for a natural sunscreen without all the nasties, any recommendations? 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Mumof3, I’m not sure what you mean by natural sunscreen but I use the Mecca cosmetica one. I haven’t skipped using sunscreen since I discovered this (and I used to HATE using sunscreen). It’s just feels like really lovely skincare and I use it in place of moisturiser and primer as it’s great under makeup. You can buy it in small tubes that last forever. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Oooh I like the sound of that one hun. I've had it on my wishlist for awhile oops.

When I say natural, I just mean cleaner ingredients.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Lol, I definitely don’t know what cleaner ingredients are but I’d still recommend the Mecca one. 
Macs
5351 posts
Gosh I’ve been slack with skincare lately skipping serums and masks for cleanse and moisturise lol
Emma-kate
1 posts
I've been really slack with sunscreen, but it is so important, especially in NZ. I'm on holiday in Australia at the moment, and they have a good range. Just so happens I'm going shopping today so I'm on the hunt for the Neutrogena Beach Mist!
tabucutie
1811 posts
As we are coming into our warmer months definitely using sunscreen daily. I have been using a sample of the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunscreen Lotion SPF50+ for my face and its great. Lightweight, no white cast and not greasy looking. I got a Cancer Society Daily Moisturising Body Lotion SPF50+ (in a BR box) that i'm going to take to Raro next week. Thought it would be most suitable as will be wearing lots of summery clothes.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Mumof3Munchkins I find most completely natural sunscreens are pretty greasy from all the zinc and l even if they say it's lightweight. Some are lighter compared to others. I'm a Mac NC25 and most leave a white cast to lighter whitening tint. If you want something that's mostly natural I would recommend the Oasis Beauty range of spf moisturizers, they don't leave a white tint but have zinc, so a natural spf in it but then also some other chemical sunscreen. They are specifically formulated for NZ UV rays and formulated to NZ and Australian standards so I've stuck with them for years because of that. 

I do like the Mecca To Save Face Spf50+ Superscreen for the lightweight feel but I think I do get a more spf protection with a bit of zinc and a higher PA rating with the Oasis Beauty Apple a Day but each to their own.
MrsO
196 posts
I'm usually pretty slack with applying sunscreen but lately have been using Natio Rosewater Moisture Balance Day Cream which has a SPF50+ so I can easily do my beauty routine without worrying about extra sun protection. It smells lovely and sinks into my skin really well.
MrsO
196 posts
Natio also do an SPF 50 tinted moisturiser and a moisturising SPF 50 sunscreen in a larger bottle.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!