Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Face oils - what are you using?

38 posts, 16 members
shazatron101
5112 posts
I'm on the hunt for a new oil. I've currently got the A'kin (?) one everyone is raving about, but its gone into that syrupy stage and is no longer useable - shame really as I did like it. Same with the Skinfood one I have. Or perhaps it's just too hot and my skin has had enough, either way, not using them anymore.
I have a sample of Drunk Elephant (I think) Marula oil and OMG but then I saw the price and added a few more words to my OMG. 

Ideally I'd like something light (like chia). Or if you have any suggestions for a face serum (currently using one from Glow Lab that I'm enjoying) I'd be open to them. 

My face is in your hands, thanks lovelies xxx
MareeB
5239 posts
I'm just finishing the Elizabeth Arden oil and Essano oil. I loved them both.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Haha that Drunk Elephant Marula oil is one of those samples you wish you'd never had because it's so good but so unaffordable! The Ordinary's marula oil is supposed to be a good dupe for it and it's $100 cheaper! I'm just waiting for mine to arrive so I'll let you know what it's like when it get started here. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Oh and for serum, again the Ordinary's Buffet.  
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Not sure how I managed to double post. Definitely sounding like a stuck record about The Ordinary now lol. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Well I would have suggest the A'kin one but you already beat me to ti ha ha ha. The Chia also would have been another recommendation lol.

Roship oil is a really good one, I want to try that Evolu Friends something I think its called. 

Yikes, the Marula oil sounds so good but I don't want to try it if the price tag is high. The Ordinary sounds like a great substitute though.
Kimrose
1415 posts
Have you seen the light rosehip oil from Trilogy? I have heard it is great.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I use crop macadamia oil. Also rosehip and argan are faves too.
Macs
5351 posts
This is the first time in years I havent needed facial oil. Ever since I started working I’ve noticed my skin is oily combo with acne :0 

When I did use them I just used Trilogy Rosehip . Been meaning to try jojoba oil . Someone recommended a while ago to me.
shazatron101
5112 posts
oooh i bet the Elizabeth Arden one was nice, Maree! i've sniffed the essano oil, i didn't like it so haven't bought it lol. and their skincare doesn't agree with my face

is it what, Soozie! honestly. it's so nice though. yes please, let me know how it is! i want to do an order but i think it'd be easier to jump in on an order the next time someone from here orders lmao. and i reeeeaaallly want to try the buffet!!

i have used it, Kim, but at the moment i'm not really into 'heavier', if you will, oils ;-P but thank you. i do have a bottle stashed away for emergencies :-D

ooooooooh Lisa what's it like? can you compare it to any other oil? i've been tempted by that as well as their argan (?) face oil but after using argan on my hair for so many years i'm on the firm belief it's to stay there lol

lmao macs that's awesome! i have tried jojoba, it was really nice, but always went solid so i was running the hot tap a lot lol :-P

ps i'm sorry i took so long to reply! brain needs a vacation from its thoughts x
MareeB
5239 posts
It was fabulous Shaz - I love Elizabeth Arden products. I've stopped using oils and serums temporarily because I'm trying some Evolu products - cleanser, toner, day creme and overnight cream, to see how well they go together. They came from BBBEs so I'm assuming other people have tried them too. I'm not wildly excited by them so far, so it'd be good to know what other people think? I can't wait to get back to a nice oily oil or serum for overnight!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Shaz, I'll let you know next time I'm ordering the Buffet. I'm almost out but I'm going to use up some other serums first. 

Maree Ive tried the Evolu cleanser and really liked it. I've also got the toner and night crime but I'm not using them at the moment. I've got the travel size toner so saving it for travel and my skin doesn't need night creme in this heat. I tend to mix and match my skincare. Have you thought about incorporating your serums and oils into the Evolu routine? I'm all about layering and adapting to my skin's current needs. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
   My fave oil for oily skin would hands down have to be the Oasis Beauty Straight Up one. That one just absorbs so quickly and really balances out skin, shame they discontinued it. I would recommend trying out a blend of oils with jojoba in it as that's really light and absorbs quickly. I've also heard the squalane from the Ordinary is really light an ideal for oily skin. Another idea is to buy the Ordinary oils since they are much cheaper and add a drop of the different ones and make your own blend if you want. 
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Currently using the ordinary squalene oil and love it very hydrating and inexpensive have beem using it for six months and a little goes a long way. I have combo oily skin
MareeB
5239 posts
I've got a discontinued Schwarzkopf hair oil, and I tried it on face to remove make up to see what it would be like. It's just as good as any cleanser and smells better!!!
trudijoy
8375 posts
i'm no help haha i use oil cleanser but only really put oil on my hair, nails and any skin issues like scratches or lil weird scaly patches
I am using ila Face Oil. It’s ultra-nourishing, yet sinks enough to work beautifully under makeup. Along with super-soft, glowy skin, it leaves a barely-there but nonetheless gorgeous scent.
tabucutie
1811 posts
I am currently using the body shop oils of life intensely revitalising facial oil. It contains black cumin seeds oil, Camelia seed oil and rosehip oil. I am using it as my day and night moisturiser as I am finding cream moisturisers to be too heavy and the oil absorbs much better. I also have the akin oil but have not used it yet.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I'm currently using the Goodness Chia Seed Oil. It's quite nice and not heavy. 
fairyfluff
19 posts
I use rosehip in the morning and elizabeth arden at night. The Elizabeth Arden oil smells soo good
Macs
5351 posts
I’ve gotta try that one Maree. I’m all out of facial oil . I need to visit the CS Factory for some Trilogy Rosehip oil.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   The Ordinary's facial oils are quite reasonably priced. I sent quite a few bottles of the different ones to my sister and she said they worked quite well on her sensitive skin. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
Just tried that A'Kin oil and really not liking it. Something about that smell. Trying  to give it a fair trial for two weeks that i'm not sure my first impressions are going to change. Did use it as a hair oil and it worked slightly better...
kiwilibby
13 posts
I have just started using face oils, and my face is going so nice!
I am using lavendar oil first, and waiting for it to sink in, because it's good to help prevent acne, and helps any other oils absorb better. Then I use bio oil, because it's got good oils in it, and I need to use it up too. My skin is looking AMAZING! Also, all my pimples are starting to go, and my pores look smaller 

I am actually going to buy some oil, here are a few I want to get jojoba, argan, barbary fig, marula, and rosehip oil... just to name a few. I have read about others who make their own concoction, and was thinking about doing it myself. 
I did find a website that has a lot of oils, and also clay for clay masks.... The carrier oils are the ones you want to look at, and cosmetic ingredients have the clay/mud masks. 
https://www.gonative.co.nz.

I haven't purchased from them yet, but I will in the next few days :) 
shazatron101
5112 posts
i've tried jojoba before, i didn't mind it too much. maybe ill look into it again now that winter is here (basically).

oh Maree you're such a card, i love it! i'm glad the hair oil worked well as an oil cleanser for you :P your eyebrows must be very soft now! hehehehe :P

TabuCutie that oil sounds amazing! but as its body shop i'll just assume expensive and steer clear lol i'm glad it's working well for you though!

i always thought (or was told) lavender oil for your face was a huge no no, so that's really interesting how you're using it KiwiLibby! i always just used tea tree for my acne lol. i've also always been weirded out about putting argan oil on my face, something just screams in my head "no! thats for hair!!!" so it's one reason i won't buy the crop (?) one from countdown!

so instead of getting a new oil (can never justify any of the prices in the groceries) i started using a bit of rhino repair with my moisturizer. not saying its my new favorite thing but my dry patches have cleared up significantly and i've only been doing it once a day for less than a week. can't say i've noticed any other changes but until i can find an oil that i can put in holy grail status that doesn't cost the earth then this will do for now :-)
kiwilibby
13 posts
I thought that it was weird to use on the face too, but I went to a local market day and spoke to people who make lavendar oil. They said they used it on their face, and I read up on all the effects of lavendar oil and gave it a go. It also evens out the skin, which is a nice effect too. It's odd at first, but I just use 3 drops and rub it on my face at night time. It can feel slightly odd at first but now I love it. It's also good for sleep.
I just make sure I am getting pure lavendar oil, cosmetic grade. I never liked the smell of tea tree oil, so I am happy I have this :) 

I feel that way about argan oil too! Haha. Although, most of the oils are good for your skin and hair, so you can use it for both :D 
I will get argan oil eventually though, and I might make my own concotions. I just purchased a tonne of jojoba oil, and some barbary fig oil, and will use them by themselves, but part of a routine. Haha, I am getting a bit of an oil routine now. I have halved the pimples on my face after several days of doing lavendar oil, rosehip serum (I got this from the beauty vault), and bio oil at night time, and rosehip serum, and bio oil in the morning. 

I am completely obsessed. I am telling everyone to try it. My skin glows. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I'm surprised about the lavender oil as well as it is a known irritant. Shows it makes a difference when you get it directly from people who make it themselves. 

I'm currently using marula oil which I got from The Ordinary....it's a tenth of the price of the Drunk Elephant one. It's also nice to use in hair but I'm currently using a yuzu hair oil I picked up in Japan as I just love the smell of yuzu. 
Imoshen
461 posts
Essential oils (including lavender) are far too strong and potent to use directly on the skin.  Please, please, please mix first with a carrier oil.

Do your research, lavender oil is not what everyone makes it out to be and is not as gentle as you think it is.

Never, ever use citrus essential oils on your face either, it is phototoxic and your skin will FRY.
kiwilibby
13 posts
From what I read, and what I was told, lavender oil is one of the only essential oils that can be applied directly to the skin. 

I'm okay if I am wrong though. I was just told this by the owner of the lavender farm, who makes the lavender oil I purchase, and what I found when I  researched it when I first started using it a couple of years ago agreed with her. So, I have had no reason to not believe her. 

Researching now, it's a mixed bag. Half say applying directly to the skin is good, the other half say to dilute it or mix it with a carrier oil. 
I did read that it helps other oils absorb better, so it may be good to add to a concotion then.

Oooo I have heard good things about merula oil! Do you like it?
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I really like the marula oil. It's quite thin/runny compared to other oils but it works really well on my skin. 
kiwilibby
13 posts
It will have to go onto my list to try then :) 
Imoshen
461 posts
I used to use lavender oil directly on my skin too but I really wish I had never done that.  Between that and sun damage, I have so many regrets.  Go gentle, treat your skin with respect and be nice to it and please wear sunscreen.

I found out the hard way that essential oils do more damage than good.  

Since those days I've accidentally dropped essential oils onto plastic (which melted) and paint (which peeled the paint right off) and if it does that to plastic and paint, do you really want it on your skin?  I didn't.

As for the people selling the lavender, you need to remember they are trying to sell you something that pays for their food and life style so of course they are going to tell you what you want to hear and we all want to hear that "natural is good for you".  Well, Deadly Nightshade is natural too but you sure don't want that anywhere near you.  

Also, you might not notice the damage straight away but when you're older, that's when it will start to show up :(.

Marula oil is nice, I like it and you don't need to pay Drunk Elephant prices for it either.

If you find oils break you out, stay away from Olive Oil, Rosehip Seed Oil and Vitamin E (also known as tocopheral - this is often used on the ingredient list instead of Vitamin E).  

I always find the Ingredient Dictionary on Paula's Choice website very handy in looking at ingredient descriptions and as mentioned, Dr Dray on youtube is VERY informative with many handy videos to watch.

tabucutie
1811 posts
You wouldn't be wrong @shazatron101 it retails for $72.50. It's good but not great I won't be purchasing it again. The A'kin oil i've been using is okay. I still don't like the smell even though the results are good. Oils don't seem to the holy grail for me that they are for other people.
kiwilibby
13 posts
Thanks Imoshen for the information! I really appreciate it. I definitely do wear sunscreen, I use the 85+ one for my face and chest area, as I want to make sure I keep it looking nice and try to avoid sun damage, unlike when I was a teen and purposely went out to tan/burn. 

Oh jeepers, that sounds very bad with the plastic and paint. 

Definitely do not want any deadly nightshade near me! You are right, I have taken your advice on board :) 

I am trying to get in early with taking care of my skin, so I can thank myself as I get older. Currently 26, so have been looking more into it, as fine lines are appearing, and pimples are still popping up. 

Thanks for the links as well :) 
Imoshen
461 posts
Look into Differin!  You used to only get this by prescription but now it's over the counter (you will need to ask the pharmacist and they may go over some things with you). 

I think a tube costs somewhere between $30-$45.  It's a derivative of Vitamin A (also known as Retin-A) and is extremely effective at helping control acne.

Do your research on this because the instructions that come with it don't really go into a lot of detail on how to use it.  It's very irritating but your skin does become accustomed to it over time.

You definitely need sunscreen when you are using this too.

Also, don't use if you are planning on or are pregnant.
shazatron101
5112 posts
good grief tabucutie. $72! !!!! for that price i'd expect it to have gold flecks and make a cuppa every morning. jinkies
thirtywinks
60 posts
I've tried both the Essano and Trilogy Rosehip Oils and the Trilogy one is definitely a lot lighter, but I find that the Essano one had more visible effects to clearing my skin. If you want to try Essano, it's almost always on sale at Chemist Warehouse. For Trilogy, Farmers should have them. :)

Right now I'm finishing up my Drunk Elephant Marula Oil and I love it! But I'm thinking of changing to the Ordinary one after this bottle because of price difference. Haha. I see in this forum that the one from The Ordinary is a good dupe. I'm eyeing Beautylish but is there anywhere else you guys buy products from The Ordinary?
shazatron101
5112 posts
haha i tried the essano one - can't get past the smell! plus i'm a bit iffy with their skincare as i've had issues with it in the past.
drunk elephant though OMG in love with that stuff! i want more!!! i had a sample and i luffffeeddd it!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!