Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Does Anyone Use the Same Sheet Mask Twice?

15 posts, 11 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
   So I've been doing this for awhile. I like to use use sheet masks but the costs can add up and they can get a bit pricey for a one time use thing. So awhile back when I thought to experiment with DIY and making my own, I bought a bunch of ready cut dry sheet masks really cheap off Aliexpress. The ones I have are exactly the same material as the Essenza Fuss Free Naturals. Now I bought them thin because I thought well then I have to make less solution for the mask. Unfortunately the mask material that I bought doesn't hold liquid well and dries quitely quickly, something Essenza found out and probably why their masks are so sticky and goopy.

Anyways I got lazy and stopped making my own solution and decided to instead, everytime I opened a sheet mask sachet to pop a dry sheet mask in the empty sachet to use up the remaining solution after I put the sheet mask on and then I take one of those snack bag clips to seal the packet. Well unfortunately those sheet masks though lessy drippy than my DIY solutions still, seemed to dry super quickly. Then the other day I had the idea that instead of reusing the solution still in the packet with a dry mask to put the original sheet mask inside instead to rewet it and then reuse it the next day.

So I tried that and the original sheet mask of course holds the solution and stays wet for longer. I probably don't get at many fresh ingredients on my face as is I do as when I use the sheet mask for the first time but I get a similiar level of hydration, out of something that would otherwise get tossed out. So I'm wondering has anyone else tried that? Are there specific ingredients in sheet mask solutions that aren't too good the second time round, maybe they oxidise or go bad quickly when exposed to air?
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I'd be more worried about having something grow on the already used sheet mask that's now back in the original packaging.  Yes, your face would have been cleansed prior to putting the sheet mask on your skin, but while the mask is sitting there doing its thing, the other side is being exposed to air and possibly airborne germs and bacteria (not to mention possible bacteria already on the skin, like when you have a breakout or the odd pimple, etc).  These are then on the sheet mask when you take it off and when the mask is put back into the packaging, any germs and bacteria that may be on the sheet mask will simply "marinate" and multiply in the nice damp, possibly slightly warm environment until the next time you choose to use it.

For me, it would be a no.  If something's made to be used once, there's usually a reason for the single use design.  It may seem like a good idea to reuse them, as single use always feels wasteful, but possibly exposing my face to a bacterial infection is not something I'm keen to try.

If you don't want to waste the left over solution in the sachet after the mask has been used (and thrown away), you could possibly decant this into a little tub and try applying it with an old foundation brush or mask brush, like any other face mask.  It probably wouldn't work the same as a sheet, but you may get some hydration from it.  I'm just brainstorming here now ... what about trying to soak a paper towel in the left over solution and applying that to your face instead?  I don't know if it would work, but they're really absorbent and you could probably cut out holes for your eyes and mouth using one of your dry sheets as a template?
trudijoy
8375 posts
There is absolutely no way i'd do this. I don't use sheet masks, don't like the feeling, but I use the eye ones.

The moment they're exposed to the air it's compromised - they're not designed to be left open so I would say there's nothing in there to stop bacteria forming etc.

I think this is asking for problems, personally. You'd be better off simply using sheet masks less often and something else on other days.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Definitley not! To me this would be the same as reusing a face cloth again the next day which I never do (I let those air dry then chuck them all in the washing machine at the end of the week). I agree that re-using them could cause you more harm than good.

As far as the left over sheet mask solution goes, I pat the extra on to my chest and arms. You could save it and use it the next night to pat on as an essence or gel toner and let it dry before moving on to the next step. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
agreed re facecloths soozie! i never reuse those before washing them either.
tannygirl
3392 posts
  Okay I guess it's not a good idea to reuse the same sheet mask. What about the dry sheet masks I have are those okay to use with the left over solution from the sheet mask? Or are those not such a good idea?
trudijoy
8375 posts
if there's that much left over that it's worthwhile then Silvene's suggestion of storing it in a sealable container is the only option, but even then i'd be cautious.

As Silvene also said, if it's single use it's probably only meant to be single use. But I wouldn't imagine the leftover product is as germy as the sheet mask itself, provided you remove the sheet mask with clean hands and pop the residue into a sealed container immediately, store it appropriately and use it quickly.

I still wouldn't, personally. But if you need to reuse them then that's the least harmful option, i guess.
Macs
5351 posts
I've never re used a sheet mask before. I just assumed once it's opened you had to use it immediately. 
MareeB
5239 posts
I've never used one twice either. I'm not sure I'm dexterous enough to unfold it and spread it neatly over my face again! in any case, I'd rather use a cream style mask.
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Nopidy nope nope! The heat of your face and the fact that you're expose the mask to the dirt and bacteria in air for up to half an hour seems like an invitation for bacteria to grow. But I do sometimes collect the extra serum in a little bottle straight after I apply the mask and put it in the fridge to use the next day. And I think a someone has mentioned above the exposure to oxygen can lead to oxidation (kinda like how some serums change colour over time and you have to try keep the bottle sealed and out of the sun) which might end up being bad for your skin. 

I've tried those little pellets that you make your own sheetmasks with too, and I have to agree they do seem a lot thinner and doesn't hold as much serum so they dry faster. Have you tried doubling up? So soak one and apply it to your face, and then soak another one and try lay it on top.
EmmaWhite
5 posts
Always thought it 1 time-use items. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
   No I haven't tried doubling it up, but that's a good idea. I did give away the dry sheet masks to my younger sister last night for her DIY. She likes to DIY a lot of things and I figured she could try them out next time she has her friends over for a sleepover. I'll suggest they try doubling up.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Personally I wouldn't use it again, as mentioned above once it has been on and subject to bacteria etc, I wouldn't recommend it.

However what I would do, is take any of the serum/mask in the packet out (before the mask has been used) and pop in a little container to use later on, but if you have used the mask already and it has been put back in the packet I wouldn't use it.

Hope that made sense lol.
Julieal
915 posts
I would use the left over solution with the dry mask as I am sure this would be fine.
Kimrose
1412 posts
This is a no from me!  Like others have said, I think there is a huge opportunity for bacteria and other nasties to evolve.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!