Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Best All Over Make Up Remover?

70 posts, 40 members
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
I use my Garnier Micellar water and I love it but it doesn't remove a lot of my eye make up very well (mostly mascaras and eyeliners) so I'd love something that works well on my face AND eye make up. Suggestions please?
Pifithrin
1243 posts
My favourites (after trying many) are the Clinique balm, the Garnier biphase one (blue and white), and the Za cleansing oil. I reckon oil is your best bet for all over cleansing, plus it's the quickest and easiest method.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I love micellar water too. If my eyemakeup is heavier i loosen it with a hot facecloth before i micellar water my face. Works fine :)
janini9
341 posts
I agree about the Micellular water not being effective in removing eye makeup. So if I'm using Micellular water, I use the Garnier oil eye makeup remover too, which I think does a pretty good job, not too annoying on the eyes and is an excellent price. 
But hands down my one stop makeup remover favourite is Clarins cleansing milk, it removes everything so easily.
Lutece
1849 posts
I still havent hopped on the Micellar water wagon yet but I have been using the Bossy oil cleanser to remove my makeup for a few weeks now, it gets the job done very well :)

My fav before that was the Neutrogena makeup wipes 
shazatron101
5112 posts
I haven't jumped on the bandwagon either Lutece ;p I don't feel like I'm mising out though? I have the Garnier eye cleaner stuff, it's like purple and clear at the same time and to use you shake it up so they mix, I dunno what it's called hahaha. It does an okay job. But I do use the Bossy Oil Cleanse. *angels singing* that stuff is lovely. 
Lutece
1849 posts
shazatron101 Im glad Im not the only one who hasnt tried it :) What is that makeup remover like?
Ohhh the bossy one is awesome, especially when I face paint, it takes all the staining off my face and body :)
shazatron101
5112 posts
Ahhhh... Would it be weird if I said it was really wet?? I dunno, I put a lil squirt or something on the cotton pad and it drips so bad like I've dipped it in water! I don't understand it haha it works okay though and it doesn't sting or anything, but I find I have to shake it each time I want some drops cos it separates really fast :\
Lutece
1849 posts
Oh stink! Do you like the Neutrogena makeup remover? In liquid or wipe form? I like both of those
shazatron101
5112 posts
I've never tried them! :O I used some pams wipes I think, but they've been shunned into the bedroom to have on hand when I'm doing my face haha. Half the time I didn't even remove my make up :P Perhaps I'll look out for them on your recommendation ;P
MareeB
5239 posts
Good old fashioned Ponds cold cream was always the best, and I think you can still buy it online.
kirstyj
1732 posts
I love my body shop camomile oil cleanser. It is sooo good for removing stubborn makeup and leave my skin feeling really nice.
Julieal
915 posts
I like make up wipes. I find they really clean the make up off and add a bit of toner as well.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I liked my nutrimetics cleansing wipes they were great but I have some clinique and lancome makeup removers to use first before I get more of my favourite wipes again.
mallomiss
569 posts
When I'm feeling lazy I'll use the Micellar water but I don't think it actually works very well - good for cleaning the make up brushes though! I also use the Garnier eye one (purple & clear) & I find that awesome!
I'm going to use Bossy's oil cleanser for the first time tonight! So excited! Just gotta get my boys to bed first!
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Agreed, Micellar water, both Garnier and Bioderma, aren't too great at taking off eye makeup, especially when anything waterproof is involved.

I use makeup wipes to remove everything before cleansing my face, but that Body Shop cleansing oil sounds fab Kirsty, I might have to check that out! I've tried cleansing oil from Farmers, I think it was Lipidol? and that was a total fail, but I'd love to find an oil that works, as I feel it'll be gentler on my poor old eyes.
Koni
444 posts
I haven't been able to find an all over makeup remover that does the job but like you I use Garnier Micellar for my face and Neutrogena Oil-free eye makeup remover for my eyes - no tugging at all you can just wipe away :-) retails for $15 at Countdown. It works a treat on removing liquid matte lipstick as well.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Lush Ultrabland takes everything off and leaves my skin feeling lovely. Best removed with a hot face cloth rather than cotton wool or it will leave an oily film. I've used it for a few years now and was so disappointed when I tried Garnier micellar. Tempted to try the Bossy oil when  I'm finally through my Lush stash from tn Boxing Day sale. 
Mila
1209 posts
My all time favourite is the ZA cleansing oil.  It removes absolutely everything including waterproof mascara without rubbing and my skin always feels amazing afterwards :)
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Lutece I totally agree. I hate to say it but the bossy one is better at taking off my makeup than my expensive mac oil remover!
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
I'm just using my Garnier micellar water and it's pretty good I learnt to leave o eyelids for absorbance then it picks up my makeup easily. I do then wash my face with my normal cleanser don't necessarily need to but I do. It's affordable and non abrasive I have noticed that I'm going thru them fast and that it soaps up a bit? ? What I mean by soaps up its lathering up on the face and cotton pad?!
jaybeejack
116 posts
Hands down my favourites are: The Body Shop Camomile Sumptuous Claensing Butter! Virtaully the same as Clinque Take The Day Off Balm but half the price. A little goes a looong way too so the tin lasts forever.

Also Almay Moisturising Liquid Makeup Remover. This is excellent if  you prefer a liquid remover.

I wear waterproof mascara and both take it off so easily!

I tried the garnier micellar water one on my hand when I swatched something in a store once and it didnt even budge lol. Never bought it after that. I also dont like the Lipidol oil cleanse, it smells really chemically and not something I want to put on my face, plus it doesnt remove mascara well (even regular mascara). 
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
Unless I get chosen for the Splurge Vs Save thing I think I'll go out and buy the Body Shop one. I've had my eye on that for a while and I think I'll go for it - especially cos I have a $10 voucher thingy!
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I use "the oil cleansing method", it's a mix of jojoba oil or sweet almond oil and castor oil.  The ratios vary depending on skin type (oily, combination or dry).  I mix up 50ml and store it in a tinted glass bottle and just give it a good shake before using.  Cheap, affordable and works brilliantly. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
I use Bossy's cleansing oil for dry skin, since the other one has tea tree oil and I like to use my oil cleanser for removing eye makeup as well. I really like it and it's gentle to be used around my eyes. I also really love Plantae's Pacific Blue Lavender Cleanser it's pricey but it's like the cream version of an oil cleanser so not drippy and rinses off really well with water if you aren't a fan of having to wash a face cloth every time to wash your face, also can be used to remove eye makeup. Another cleanser that I used to remove eye make up is Living Nature's Vitalizing Cleanser it's another fave of mine but I prefrer Plantae's one for the deeper cleanse for removing makeup but I've used Living Nature prior to getting Plantae.
The 'Clean it Zero' one from Korean brand Banilla Co. is really good. There is the original one and then a few versions such as the Clean it Zero Purity' which is more mild for sensitive skin. 
chikoboo
3402 posts
Out of all the makeup removers I have ever tried, hands down oil cleansers are the way to go and you can get them for any skin type.   All you do is one step and that is it, pop the oil straight onto your makeup loaded face, massage around the lips and along the lash line really get it in there, soak a flannel in near hot water and place on your face to let the oil "melt" for a few seconds (although I find this incredibly relaxing so I leave it on and meditate a little for a few minutes, it's wonderful to rewind) then massage your face through the flannel and drag it off, rinse flannel and just clean up any left over oil.  OK your sink gets messy with the oil and makeup floating around it but it leaves your skin purged of makeup and dirt, the results are staring back at you from the sink!  I no longer have different cleanser for different things, like wipes or eyemakeup remover for mascara and eyeliners, then an actual cleanser for the face.  Its a miracle product in my opinion plus its made out of natural oils, what could be better for your skin.   I have combination skin and using oil to cleanse doesn't cause me any breakouts at all.   Currently I am using Bossy Oil Cleanser but the soon to be released Temple Tonic one I trialled is just as good.  As you can see by my ramblings I can not rave or recommend enough!
Danni
324 posts
I really like ultrabland from Lush! I didn't understand it at first and thought it was weird but recently I found it again and I love it! Its got a waxy consistency and you just put it all over your face, massage it round then wipe off! It even tax off eye make up really well because it has beeswax in it which helps break down makeup...Its like a solid oil cleanser :) Well its not completly solid its like a cream but thicker...Its hard to explain! hahah
ChristineHoll
152 posts
Is there a difference between oil cleansers and straight oil? I'm talking something like rosehip oil, not cooking oil obviously! 
Kaitlyn343
268 posts
Organic Extra Virgin COCONUT OIL. Seriously it's amazing and much much cheaper than any other cleanser you can buy.
Danni
324 posts
ChristineHoll I've seen some people use jojoba oil as a makeup remover so you probably could use Rosehip or similiar it will do the same job :)
chikoboo
3402 posts
Christine, brought oil cleansers are normally a mixture of oils designed to remove the makeup and dirt plus treat the skin type, for instance an oil cleanser for dry skin would probably be a base of coconut oil, with jojoba, rosehip and something else for aroma.  Jojoba probably would work but not sure if it would break down tought makeup like mascara and lip stains? could be wrong but that is where the coconut comes in as it is an oil that keeps it's cream state for longer giving the mixture some body that essential melts on your skin to lift and remove.  That's my understanding anyway.
Julieal
915 posts
Another good make up remover is coconut oil and this also makes your skin feel really nice -possibly best for dry skin.
alikat
423 posts
I'm with Chikoboo - The Bossy Oil Cleanser does the most amazing job I've come across. I do have some eye makeup remover products still, but thats because sometimes I need the Superpowers of the Lancome Bi-Facil to remove the most stubborn of stubborn mascara. 

Micellar water doesn't do it for me. I've come to realise that it only breaks me out because its not actually removing everything. 

Otherwise, I've also got some Clinique Take the Day off, which is an oil/balm product and is just as good as the Bossy Oil Cleanser. 
MrsO
196 posts
I'm using the Garnier Micellar Water at the moment and it does a good job for me, takes off all my makeup easily including eye makeup. If I have heavier makeup on then I use my Dove cleansing wipes first.
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
I find the Micellar water doesn't completely remove my makeup too. I also love oil cleansers and have tried a Holika Holika one and the ZA one. I love the ZA one - it's inexpensive and does the job. I definitely recommend that. 
idomakeupnz
150 posts
There are two types of oil cleansers - emulsifying and just straight up oil.
Oil cleanser that contains emulsifier will turn milky when you add water and rinise away much more easily. A regular oil cleanser that doesn't contain an emulsifier is just plain oils, usually mixed together with essential oils and such, these are harder to remove because they don't have that emulsifying property that allows them to melt away.
Emulsified oil cleansers are more suited to oily skins and regular oil cleansers are better for dry skin.
If you are just wanting to find an oil to use as a makeup remover, which is perfectly fine and works just as well as a store brought version, look for an oil that is suited to your skin type.
The two most common are Jojoba and Coconut -
Jojoba is the best for oily skins.
Coconut is best for dry skins.
You can basically use any oil you want though.
Avocado is great for drier skins.
Hemp is good for all skin types.
Shea butter is good for all skin types.
Almond oil is better for drier skins.

bronjenks
253 posts
I too looked around for a while trying to find something that didnt rip my eyeballs out and I've gotta say I was pretty skeptical about the bossy oil cleanser but thought I'd give it a go and I really love it.  If you use it properly, like with a warm flannel then it gets everything off and leaves my skins feeling really lovely.  I've used makeup removal wipes and skin did not like that at all, too harsh. :-)  
kirstyj
1732 posts
Thanks for the explanation of oil cleansers idomakeupnz. That is super interesting, I had no idea of the difference.
MissQT
1547 posts
great explanation idomakeupnz. I love using coconut oil as a make up remover.
kirstysays
762 posts
I looove my garnier micellear water and find it removes eyemakeup amazingly...what a shame it doesn't work as well for you...I really soak a cotton round in it and hold it on my eye for a few seconds.  Coconut oil is fantastic too though...definitely worth trying :)
trudijoy
8375 posts
I agree kirstysays~!

I hold two cotton rounds together and soak them through.  I use one front and back, rinse my face and repeat.  If i have heavy eye makeup on i sometimes use rosehip oil to loosen it first
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
Maybe I'm just being stingey with my Micellar water? I'm definitely going to look at an oil cleanser soon but maybe if I use more I'll be able to get it to work until I get the oil one. 
Macs
5351 posts
I had to stay away from micellar water. My skin has stung really badly in the past from those types of removers so I just stuck to cleansing oils and cleansers.
trudijoy
8375 posts
tmua i use mine that way every night and i've only been through one and a half bottles since jan...not that expensive :)
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
I also love micellar water, I do soak my cotton pads with it and hold them on my eyes just a we bit longer then wipe, this takes off waterproof mascara and a full face of makeup. I've had no bad reaction to this but I usually wet my makeup pads with water first so I suppose it's slighty diluted. It works well for me. Sometimes I continue on and use a cleanser. Remover! Cleanser! There's a difference right!
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
I feel like such a noob! Every time I tried using micellar water to take off eye makeup I was super stingy with the product and, unsurprisingly, I could never get it to work for me.

I just tried again after drenching my cotton pads in micellar water and it took all of my (waterproof inclusive) eye makeup off so easily! Thanks ladies! I'd been trying to make it work for months lol I didn't even think to use more product, duh!
alyshajayne
92 posts
I'm late to the party here but I just purchased the Bossy Oil Cleanser and it is A-MAZING!! It takes off dark waterproof eye makeup with ease! I can't recommend it enough! 
Toni-Lee
503 posts
Ok so I know this thread is old but I couldn't find any recent ones but I was wondering if anyone can recommend any affordable oil cleansers. I have been using the bossy one for the last year and I have tried the trilogy makeup be gone one and I like both but I was wanting to try something new. I have read alot of positive reviews about the ZA brand from you ladies and am quite keen to give that a go.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Def the ZA one, and I much prefer the deep cleansing oil to the silky.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!