Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

All cleansers break me out, am I alone?

13 posts, 10 members
kiwilibby
13 posts
I have noticied that every cleanser I use, even sensitive ones seem to break me out. I stop using them and then my face clears up for the most part. 
I have been reading up on it, and some people say use other cleansers, other say forgo cleansers, and use oils to both cleanse and hydrate. Is anyone experiencing the same issue? Or does anyone cleanse with oils and can recommend one?
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Have you tried micellar water? I use the blue garnier one and it's great.
kiwilibby
13 posts
I haven't tried micellar water yet.
I didn't know it was a cleanser. Thinking about it, I don't know much about it. I will research now :) 
Thank you. 
Macs
5351 posts
Have you tried solid cleanser before?  Ethique does one called “In your face”. You could possibly try a sample box .

I use foam cleanse or cream in mornings . Oil/ Balm cleanse every night , face scrub/dry cleanse once a week . Face mask once a week . Face Peel once a month. 
Hopefully you find what works for you.

thirtywinks
60 posts
Shucks that sounds didficult. I've been using Cetaphil for many years now and haven't had problems. The small bottles are quite affordable if you wanna have a try. :)
tabucutie
1811 posts
I would have suggested a micellar water also. I am using an Essano one atm that is great. Barely fragranced, cleans skin and leaves no residue. Skin feels clean but not dried out.
kiwilibby
13 posts
I haven't tried a solid cleanser before. I had zero idea these even existed! I will look into this as well. Thanks Macs :)

I have heard good things about Cetaphil. I wasn't sure if it was in NZ, because I read about it on American websites. I am about ready to try anything. I think cleansing is good. At least once a day which is all my skin can handle, which upon further reading could mean it's drier than it appears. Thank you Thirtywinks

Ooo I will look into which one is best then Tabucutie :) Two recommendations is a good sign :)

[color=#bf2390]tabucutie[/color]
Imoshen
461 posts
I suggest researching some of the ingredients on what you're using and see if you can come across a common suspect.

Anything with parfum or fragrance is a good start.  Essential oils are also a good culprit to look at.  From there it could be the preservative used or maybe it isn't the cleanser but whatever else you might be using afterwards.

I've been watching Dr Dray and she has a couple of videos that might interest you:

Cleanser Ingredients
Cleansing Oils
How to Choose a Cleanser

I got hold of some of the CeraVe cleansers she talks about and love them.  They do everything they should do and nothing they shouldn't.

itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Poor you. I used to find the likes of clean and clear, garnier etc type cleansers from the supermarket didn't agree with me.
But I've found organic one's in particular are a lot more gentle on my skin. I particularly like Antipodes, Plantae and Living Nature.

trudijoy
8375 posts
i second In Your Face. I use an oil cleanser (the Simple one atm) at night, followed by either micellar water or a really soft gel cleanser (currently working through both Skinfood Gel Cleanser and Garnier Micellar Foaming Cleanser), then In Your Face in the shower in the morning. If I don't use the IYF my skin gets grumpy.

I also use face mist instead of 'proper toner' and the Mario Badescu ones are my faves, can't wait to pan the one i'm using and buy more Mario tbh
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I have 2 oil cleansers I use an emulsifying one (the type that turns milky when you mix it with water) and a standard oil cleanser (best removed with a wash cloth).  I mainly use the emulsifying one if I'm washing my face at the sink or removing makeup. My fave default emulsifying oil cleanser atm is the Palmer's oil cleanser, smells like cocoa and vanilla and the texture is comparable to the overpriced Dermalogica Pre-Cleanse. And the ingredients are pretty natural, plus it doesn't really sting my eyes when I use it to remove my eye makeup. A large bottle retails for about 18 bucks.

I double cleanse nightly so I like to use my Moreish gel cleanser for that. Quite gentle and fairly natural and a 200ml bottle retails for under 18 bucks. 

kiwilibby
13 posts
Thank you Imoshen. I will have a look at the videos :) 

Thanks for the the suggestion itsclearascrystal :D 

I am definitely going to have to try out in your face in this case. I have a gel cleanser, but it seems to cause breakouts/makes my skin red if I use it every day, but maybe a gentle one might work. Thank you trudijoy. 

Ooooo the emulisfying one sounds amazing tannygirl! Plus, such a good price :D
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I can more or less put anything on my face and use glycolic acid daily but cleansers are a different story! I avoid anything foaming. Even ones that are supposedly for sensitive skin and have rave reviews on here leave my skin feeling dry, tight and hot or even burning. I think it's SLS that's the culprit for me. Maybe it's an allergic reaction along these lines that you are experiencing and this is leading to break outs?

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!