Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

"$13 moisturiser outperforms $520 product in Consumer NZ test"

22 posts, 17 members
KiwiLass
174 posts
I read this article with interest today and the full report is here.
JessB
219 posts
Wow, thanks for posting, it is very interesting! Quite funny as well. I often find myself looking longingly at the more expensive moisturizers when I do run out thinking "what if". Good to know there isn't really much difference, and that something as highly regarded as Crème de la Mer can be an inferior product!
-Bex-
611 posts
I read this article too, pretty interesting. I did my own experiment with an expensive moisturiser paid over $500 for a jar (not the same brand in the article) I really didn't like it and notice better results with cheaper moisturisers. I couldn't wait to get to the bottom of the jar of the expensive stuff and there is still a bit left. Yes I'm probably insane spending that much on a moisturiser but it was a bit of an experiment and at least now I'll never be tempted to spend that much again on a spensy moisturiser...... maybe? ;)
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Good old nivea aye! I never spend over $30 on mine so $500 to me is insane. Good article.
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
Interesting. Not sure I'd spend that much on a moisturiser anyway. 
Macs
5351 posts
That La Mer cream is the same one Kim K uses. Oh if I could splurge like that I would lol I love our supermarket brands. There's lots more options now for skincare. I'm proud of our nz brands breaking through. I never remembered nz skincare brands growing up. I like that my daughter will be able to have that choice. 
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Thanks for sharing very interesting read.
Whoah Bex you actually paid that amount for a cream? Um I heard of & knew LaMer is a highend pricry brand glad to see how a supermarket ( so to speak) can compete , with better results
KiwiLass
174 posts
Interesting to hear your experience Bex! I've always wondered just how much difference more expensive creams would make, as like others have said, I've never spent more than $30-40 on a face cream/serum, and even 30-40 is getting up there for me. I feel like if I was going to spend into the hundreds, I'd prefer to just get lasering, botox, or fillers or something - something that I knew for sure was going to make a noticeable difference! But if a face cream did the same job, and I absolutely knew it would make just as much difference, then I might be tempted ;) And agree with the comments re NZ skin care being celebrated world wide is a wonderful thing. We have some awesome products here, that really work, without the hefty price tag! Rosehip works wonders, and I've heard that our manuka products are really good :)
tannygirl
3392 posts
I could never justify $500 on just a facial moisturizer! Although I'm pretty sure that if I had added up all my skincare collectively like cleansers, toners, serums, eye serums and creams, day time moisturizer, spf moisturizer, sleeping masks, masks, peels, spot treatments, etc. it would probably total close to that ammount. I do however buy almost everything when it's on sale or when I can get a good bargain though, so often the RRP of what I use isn't what I paid. This especially true when it comes to the BEBB. 
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Kiwilas you hit the hammer on the head that's exactly what I'd do if I spent that much go for fuller's or something more instant then buying a cream (paraphrase )
trudijoy
8375 posts
interesting! I just splurged on my absolute fave face moisturiser (Benefit Total Moisture) but my 2nd fave, a close second too, is Nivea Soft, which is about $9 a tub. Fascinating, hey?
JessB
219 posts
Completely agree with you @Macs that it is great for NZ brands to be making their mark on the beauty world! Especially when so many of the NZ brands have a focus on natural ingredients.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I don't mind paying a bit for a good product and I am happy to if it has proven results and if it is natural. If it don't work well I don't want to pay for it but I wouldn't probably pay more than $100 and it needs to be bonus time.
siouxsannah
261 posts
I also saw that article on Stuff. Very interesting. Unless I was super rich I could never bring myself to spend $500 on a jar of moisturiser though!
DianaN
143 posts
This is super interesting! I personally wouldn't spend so much on a moisturiser. I know that people say skincare is important but as long as you use good quality products - which can also be affordable - that's all that matters. Most pricey products I feel aren't justifiable and there are cheaper alternatives out there. 
charly
456 posts
I attended a Snowberry talk and something the speaker said really stuck with me.  He made the point that you should use a cleanser that doesn't strip your skin and then you don't need an expensive heavy-duty moisturiser to fix the damage.  

It's one of those pieces of advice that makes so much sense I wonder why it didn't occur to me on my own.  It really shifts my beauty focus from quality moisturisers to quality cleansers.  
Rajvee2588
221 posts
I thought same like expensive skincare gave you better results than cheap skincare. For body moisture I always prefer Nivea and I have been using it for more than 10 years.

i want make attention on eye cream. I personally tried dermalogica, Estée launder, Clinique and many high to low prices one. Before 5 months I bought Avon eyecream for just 11$. Yes I repeat again 11$. I saw Hugh difference. My fines are gone and around eye area look much better. Thought share my personal experience because this topic is related.
trudijoy
8375 posts
The snowberry gentle cleansing toner stuff is amazing Charly! I found since I started using oil cleanser my skin doesn't dry out
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Charly, I went to a Snowberry evening too. It all made perfect sense. I got that cleanser as a GWP. Just about to come to the end of the products I bought that night. 
MissQT
1547 posts
Interesting article, thanks for sharing. I've never spent more than $100 on any beauty product ( I have perfumes that are more expensive but I received these as gift). Bex just out of interest what was the expensive face cream you tried?
-Bex-
611 posts
Hey missQT it was Lancome absolue l'extrait regenerating ultimate elixir. phew why does it need such a long name? It also required too much of my time to apply it. 
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I've tried that Nivea one and I loved it! Will definitely buy it again.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!