Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Natural Nail Treatments

6 posts, 5 members
Tattooprincess
68 posts
ive just removed my acrylic nails, I’ve had them more years than I have had natural nails (absolutely hating short nails but just can’t justify the ongoing cost!).

ive started taking a supplement to support nail growth (silica), can anyone suggest a treatment, either home or salon, to help repair my nails/encourage new growth. I find polishes aren’t that great, as I work in retail and handle metal clothes hangers all day, and polishes just chip off my nails in a day.

thanks <3
MissDilly
229 posts
@Silvene is a nail expert so I know she’ll be able to give some great advice.
When I removed mine I used cuticle oil twice a day and a good hand/nail cream to try and speed up growth. I also used a strengthener on the nails which was a clear coat - I’m not sure if it did anything to my damaged nails but my nails grew out nicely. ,  I also kept the nails trimmed relatively short l so they didn’t tear and break too much.  It’s a game of patience though as the backfill ridges grow out. I think it was nearly 6 months to get new healthy nails back. I remember them feeling quite raw and exposed when they first came off but also  celebrated I could  lift an eftpos card or coins off a flat surface with natural nails where I couldn’t with acrylics  lol 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Supplements will help to a certain extent.  I’ve heard that supplements containing biotin do help with weak or brittle nails, but haven’t tried it myself.  As MissDilly mentioned, applying cuticle oil twice per day and keeping them short until the damage grows out will definitely help.  The best thing would be to find a salon near you that offers IBX Treatment, as it is absorbed into top few layers of the nail plate (unlike paint-on store bought nail strengtheners which just sit on top of the nail) and creates a mesh-like ‘net’ to help strengthen the nail plates.  You can can read more about IBX Treatment here

Just a general reminder to everyone - Unfortunately, incorrect removal of acrylic, hard gel, polygel or gel polish will damage your natural nails, and it does take time for the damage to grow out (4-6 months).  So, never let anyone pop off, pry off, or pick off your nail enhancements or gel polish. Nail product should always be removed according the manfacturers instructions, and no nail service should ever hurt or feel horribly uncomfortable - if it does, please say something to your nail tech, as s/he is obviously doing something wrong. 

tannygirl
3392 posts
   I've been taken biotin for years and it does help but it's kinda hard to notice a difference after years. One new thing that I did this year and I've had really healthy, strong long nails since is have a heap of extra vegetables in my diet, also taking extra fish oil. Doesn't need to be an expensive fish oil supplement either. 

My nails are pretty hard and strong they do eventually wear out an the corners and edges because I do alot of cooking and dishes and I do have to cut them short but this is the year that I've had all my nails long at the same time and when I do cut them they grow back long and strong again.
MareeB
5244 posts
Tattooprincess you could try putting a teaspoon of gelatin in your tea twice per day. It helps a lot of things including skin and nails.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
@Tattooprincess, did you manage to find anything to help strengthen your nails?  

If you’d like to try and find a salon near you that does IBX treatment (the one I mentioned in my previous post), you could send me a message via Instagram, my Facebook page, or the contact form on my website (links to all of these are on my BR profile) and let me know what area you’re in and I can ask in the Pro-only nail tech group that I belong to if there’s anyone near you that offers IBX treatment in their salon. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!