Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Upper lip waxing and shaving.

33 posts, 24 members
katypatatie
142 posts
I need some advice on getting rid of the hair on my upper lip.
Whenever I wear foundation, I get a lovely little moustache. I used to wear a lighter coverage  foundation so I didn't really put any foundation there, but now I wear a full coverage foundation I can't get away with it.
A few questions.
Should I? Or will I regret it?
Will the hair grow back faster and thicker? Or will it start growning back thinner?
What is the best method?
TIA :)
JamieLynneKirk
157 posts
I only just noticed my hideous mo through my foundation about 6 months ago, I have been at home waxing it since I really like the Veet facial wax its amazing  http://veet.co.nz/face-veet-high-precision-facial-wax.php  So simple to use ,I do it about once a month doesnt hurt at all and I find the hair had grown back pretty much the same maybe slighty thicker but I dont have a full on mo just a few hairs. I dont regret waxing it ever!! My finished foundation looks so much better.
Rezee
1964 posts
I use hair removal cream on my upper lip. I've tried waxing before and that is probably my second choice. I've also tried plucking (super painful!)
I wouldn't ever shave it, I imagine that would make the hair grow back thicker and then you would get stubble too, ewww :)
katypatatie
142 posts
Thank you both :) I went ahead and did it last night after reading your reply Jamie. I just happned to get the facial wax you were talking about, in my GoodieBox a couple of months ago. Now I have a lovely smooth top lip :)
xjayloux
900 posts
Im with Jamie, we are totally anti mo's here! Haha..

I personally use Marzena facial wax strips and use their finishing cloths.. I like their product because its a lot more gentle. Any time i have gone somewhere for waxing i come out in horrid bumps afterwards.. But using this brand with the finishing cloth i dont get bumps at all.

The more you do it, the less it starts to come back. Im doing mine about once every 2 months now and the hair is barely there now! 

After ive used the finishing cloth ill usually wipe off the excess and put on a nice natural moisutrizer.. Seems to work for the no bumpness! 
amberallen989
13 posts
im so scared to wax! i can imagine it hurts so bad! any ladies here have any home packs that are good? xx
ArohaMatthews
17 posts
Definitely give threading a go for your upper lip. Some girls say that it it really sore but i think its just about the same pain as waxing.
ArohaMatthews
17 posts
Definitely give threading a go for your upper lip. Some girls say that it it really sore but i think its just about the same pain as waxing.
ArohaMatthews
17 posts
ArohaMatthews
17 posts
Manda129
419 posts
There are alot of different options, but all depending on if your mo is coloured hair or pigmentation on the skin, I have a hormonal mo which is discolouration of the skin on my upper lip, good ols contraceptives is the cause 9 times out of ten :)

With waxing its all up to the indivudal and how long you have been waxing for, whether it comes back thicker, darker or gets thinner and doesnt come back at all, it's always best to look at your mother and see how your hair growth may take after :)

I personally love waxing, I'm a big wuss when it comes to threading too, too much ouchy for me, When waxing your upper lip, apply pressure as quickly as you can, just to take away that intial sting, 
At the end of the day the upper lip is one of the most sensitive areas for ay hair removal, but as they say no pain no gain :)

You can always loo into IPL aswell for both hair removal or pigmentation :)
You go girl. Good on you doing it yourself. I personally go to beautician. No more paranoiawith people  talking to my top lip :-)
tannygirl
3392 posts
I agree with xjayloux, Marzena facial wax strips are so much gentler and effective than Nads. I went through at least three boxes of Nads and the hair would start growing back within two weeks but wasn't long enough for a week. I though facial waxing at home was just like that unless you went to a proffessional. With Marzena it got most of the hair so I didn't have to go over the area three times and that was so much gentler on my skin and I actually didn't have wax my upper lip as often. The hair does grow back slightly darker and thicker but with repeated waxing the growth does slow down. I like getting proffessionally waxed but doing it at home is so much cheaper and convenient.
raniwelsh
104 posts
I bleach my top lip as Im way too afraid to remove the hair incase it comes back thicker and darker. And Im a wuss, but waxing sounds like the way to go if you want that perfect make finish.
Chaotic82
522 posts
This is a very timely post.  I just noticed that the hair on my top lip is a little darker.  
I used a hair removal cream on my legs once and got a chemical burn - I didn't even leave it as long as you are supposed to, stupid sensitive skin! So that's out for me.  Might get it done professionally the first time and then give it a go myself...
JamieLynneKirk
157 posts
YAY,How perfect is that then Katychristina :)
Shazzaali
45 posts
Try threading for removing upper lip hair. I know its a little bit more painful than waxing but its so worth it coz the hairs grow back much finer and it lasts ages! I have a threading tool called slique I think and I just use that. You dont have to wait for the hairs to grow to a certain length before you thread.
Ive tried using the facial creams in the past and I found that the hair does grow back thicker. Just recently I had mine threaded for the first time. Personally, I found that it hurt so much. When I thought about it later I figured that by getting it wax you feel the pain everytime a strip is remove. Compare this to threading, every row hurt. I think I may try threading again soon just to get a better idea but more likely I will just stick to waxing. On the upside, threading was super quick and well priced and the overall result was ok
Ive tried using the facial creams in the past and I found that the hair does grow back thicker. Just recently I had mine threaded for the first time. Personally, I found that it hurt so much. When I thought about it later I figured that by getting it wax you feel the pain everytime a strip is remove. Compare this to threading, every row hurt. I think I may try threading again soon just to get a better idea but more likely I will just stick to waxing. On the upside, threading was super quick and well priced and the overall result was ok
xjayloux
900 posts
Upper lip threading is complete torture and i love threading brows so i hated that i dont like it.. theres something about it, its ridiculously painful and then you get really irritated skin/bumps afterward. Waxing, less painful and irritating if you have a good at home kit. As i said Marzena facial strips and the finishing wipes! 
MrsLissy
301 posts
I get my mo waxed once a month. I have dark hair so like lots of you ladies it is really freaking obvious when I have foundation on. It's the most painful wax I've ever had but its only 2 strips so is over quickly.
brushandbullet
395 posts
I would recommend the Marzena brand too. Also, a while back I tried the Parissa brand from iherb.com and it was really good as well! 

With threading, the place I go to actually combines waxing and threading so it doesn't hurt as much. The waxing gets the longer more obvious hairs and threading gets rid of the tiny baby hairs. I like putting aloe vera gel on afterwards. 
nemesisroxx
506 posts
Following this thread! I've only ever plucked my mo. Wouldnt mind trying threading or the veet wax mentioned.
skingeek
537 posts
I would strongly advise getting it done professionally. I've had ingrowns on my upper lip, and I can tell you, that's extreamly unpleasant.
katypatatie
142 posts
Thank you all so much, so much helpful info! 
I will give a few more things a go once I run out of wax and see what suits me best :)
forkat2008
98 posts
So ... what's threading? My mo hasn't really seemed significant enough, just quite annoying. Always planned on getting it done, but really, REALLY wonder if it's worth the pain. And that comment about getting ingrown hairs is really scary. I already get ingrown hairs wherever I pluck.
NG
10 posts
Definitely go with threading.This is when the beautician uses a piece of thread to pull out the hairs. It offers more definition and works wonders- esp for eyebrows. You cannot do this yourself so it can be expensive- but that is price we pay for beauty I suppose.  I have been doing it for over 10 years (both upper lip and eyebrows) and I swear by it.  At most, you only need to thread twice a month- some people can even get away with once a month. I have never had an ingrown hair in my upper lip since starting threading.Good luck!
I recommend the Sally Hansen Wax that you do yourself. You can get strips, or the actual wax. I love both, however my favorite is the non-messy strips. I mainly use this for my eyebrows. Even though I don't have the same issue as you, I do have a friend that had the upper lip hair issue, and she used the wax - and it is completely gone now. Good luck! 
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
My skin always turns red and raw after I wax. And I tried threading but it hurt even worse :( Girls shouldn't have to deal with this horrible stuff.
Macs
5351 posts
I havent tried upper lip waxing before only eye brows. It looks painful lol
Kia
550 posts
I had a horrible reaction the first time I waxed my upper lip. It created a nice "graze your knee on the concrete" look but on my upper lip. Complete with bleeding and scarring. And then of course I had to go through the pain and embarrassment of explaining what happened to my upper lip whenever I saw a person for 2-4 wereks. Absolute nightmare.   I do threading now, but I break out in tiny white heads around the corners of my mouth, and I find it grows back quite quickly. The pain is ridiculous however, but lasts like 3 minutes.  I want to try removal creams, but I'm scared it will make the area darker??
SandyGedge
394 posts
I am currently on a lot of different hormone medications through out the past several years because of my condition. These medications caused me to grow a mo & sideburns and I hated it soooo much! I had lots of people recommend threading but I still have yet to try it. I generally buy tiny wax strips from the supermarket that are working great for my mo but for my sideburns (oh gosh I hate saying that! ) I actually went to the chemist and brought a facial bleach.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!