Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Sugaring hair removal

15 posts, 12 members
Melwilsonnz
14 posts
I have recently seen some posts on FB about sugaring kind of like waxing but less painful apparently. .. wondering if anyone has tried this and can recommend anywhere in auckland. .. keen to see what its all abour
amandaxoxo
24 posts
I love using the sugaring method over the wax method just because it's a lot less painful. I don't get mine done professionally but there are many diy sugaring videos on youtube or you can buy the sugar wax. I have a really good one from Aio Natural health I had received it in a trial about 5 monhs back and it lasts a long time. Also it is safe to use anywhere required.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I hadn't heard of it before. I shall have to look into it.
Macs
5351 posts
Haven't tried it before. I think there is some listed on here somewhere. I think there was some in one of the Beauty Vaults
trudijoy
8375 posts
You mean the AIO one I think Macs?

I got bruised badly in a tender area DIY'ing, I'd suggest you get this done in a clinic, personally

MareeB
5241 posts
Yes Trudi, I've heard it can be pretty painful too. Not for me :(
Ataraxia
82 posts
I prefer it over other methods but that is mostly just due to cost. I make my own at home and don't find it to be any more painful than other wax I've tried but I think a lot of it comes down to technique
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
Excuse the pun but I'm sweet with it:)
easy as no problems x
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
I have been wanting to make my diy sugar for ages! Any good home recipies ladies?
Ataraxia
82 posts
I make mine in smallish batches

3/4 cup white granulated sugar
1/8 cup of water
1/8 cup of either lemon or lime juice
pinch of salt

place all ingredients in a saucepan (a pan with a heavier base works best)
turn element onto medium high and just let melt without stirring. Simmer until the syrup reaches an amber colour and is slightly darker than honey then take off heat and pour out into a jar. Allow to cool over night.

This one requires cotton strips which I find works best for me. This keeps well in the fridge for a while just allow it to come to room temperature the next time you want to use it.
If you find the mix is too runny and not gripping hairs very well you can carefully microwave it in 30 second bursts until it thickens slightly and darkens a bit more in colour.
The best way I've found to apply it is with a small metal spatula you'd use for cake decorating, it applies a more even layer but wooden popsicle sticks/tongue depressors work well too :)
Apply AGAINST hair growth then smooth the spatula back down going with the hair growth. Smooth cotton strip over wax in the same direction and don't pull the strip straight up! you kind of want to pull it back almost on itself if that makes sense instead of at a right angle...
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Oooh that's for that! I'll make it in the weekend hopefully it works!
Melwilsonnz
14 posts
Awesome thanks heaps for all your comments, think ill try at the salon a couple of times before making my own but will keep that recipe handy :)
miajacob098
6 posts
I hear about it the first time, so I am also curious to know about it. 
EliseMM
120 posts
I have had this done and wowee did it hurt! To be fair though, I was approaching 'that time of the month' which is when my skin and muscles become quite sensitive, so maybe that was the problem.
sanketdp
2 posts
There other methods too available in the market, and you can get it easily purchase by visiting online e-commerce website.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!