Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Silk Pillowcases for Smoother Skin and Hair - Anyone Tried One? Which Ones Do You Recommend?

17 posts, 10 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
So I remember reading some years ago about the benefits of sleeping on a silk pillowcase for your skin and hair. It's supposed to make your hair more silky, reduce bedhead hair, prolong blowouts and for your skin it's supposed to reduce the sleeping creases you get from your face smooshed in the pillow and it's supposed to be less likely to suck the moisture out of your skin like a cotton pillowcase. I've been sleeping on pillowcase that was made from some smooth material I picked out overseas years ago, I was after silk but I'm pretty sure it's not silk.          

Anyways it's been pilling for years and just recently the pills have been feeling rather itchy so it's time for an upgrade and this time I would like to invest in real silk that's also reasonably easy to care for and not too time consuming to maintain. So I'm wondering if anyone here has been sleeping on silk and what beauty benefits did they notice if they did wake up with smoother skin and more silky hair? Any brand recommendations? What type of pillow protector will go best under a silk pillowcase so that lays smooth on the pillow and you can get the most luxurious feel out of the silk? Would love to hear about your experiences using silk pillowcases. 
MissQT
1547 posts
I would like to know this too. I remember reading the BR article about this but I've never purchased a silk pillow case or looked into it. I assume they sell them at farmers and briscoes etc but not sure what brands they sell and how much they are.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I've looked at Farmers and Briscoes online and they don't sell them. I did order one from overseas though so I really hope it pays off. The customer service I got from them was lovely, but of course the silk pillowcase wasn't cheap, it cost about as much as a good set of queen sized sheets.
Macs
5351 posts
I haven't seen silk sheets and pillow cases for years. My ex had them in his bed and they were absolutely gorgeous to sleep in. He had the super soft silk. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Good thread, must say I've never really thought about it lol.

I have a pillow case that is half silk on one side and a cotton type on the other side.  But now that you mention it, my hair does seem to be less frazzled and static when sleeping on the silky side.

Might have to go hunting for some new silk pillowcases I think, will try and do a little experiment of my own by changing the side of the pillow case etc.
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I wonder if a satin pillowcase would be better than cotton for your hair and skin?
tannygirl
3392 posts
I think satin is better than cotton but silk is supposed to be the best, atm. I was really impressed at how quickly my order arrived from the US. I start sleeping on real silk tonight. I'll see if it does anything. To the touch it definitely feels better than what I was previously sleeping on that was itchy from pilling. 
Ringy
825 posts
I have silk pillow cases- have been using for about a year- not noticed much difference though which is disappointing as I thought they were meant to be fantastic! 
Ringy
825 posts
I got mine from silkbody which is a nz company just outside of Dunedin- they have an online store too- 100% mulberry silk. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
   So I've been sleeping on silk for a month now.  It definitely feels nicer than the fake silk that I had before, very smooth and not cold when I roll over during the night. The pillowcase is white so it stains easily and it needs handwashing. As for facial sleep creases I didn't have much before sleeping on the fake silk, but there is a slight reduction in one fine line in regards to the side I sleep on. That being said I did start using The Ordinary around the same time and that skincare line is amazing for the price so that's what I mostly credit for skin improvements. I also haven't had as much static with my hair so far though I mostly have my hair in braids about 95% of the time rather than wearing it down and I have been using more hair oil. 
    So overall for the luxurious feel of silk it's worth it to me, even if it isn't doing as much for my skin and hair plus it's a one off purchase.
MareeB
5241 posts
Gosh that combination of The Ordinary and silk pillowcase sounds pretty good Tannygirl!
Ringy
825 posts
I'm dying to try the ordinary products. I just chuck my pillow cases in a lingerie bag in the machine, I love that they air dry quickly. It just sounds so luxurious to say you sleep with silk pillowcases. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I would sleep with silk sheets and silk pillowcases for all my pillows if I could afford it, it really feels nice especially in summer.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Although if you have silk sheets you need a lot of indoor line space since you can't hang them out to dry in direct sunlight so that would be a dilemma.
stackbind
4 posts
A friend of mine tried it and made her hair visibly smoother and shinier, feels softer and is waving more evenly. It almost looks like she blow dried it, or at least ran a straightener through it for a sec. 

i know it kinda sound unreal, but the silk pillowcase rumors are true; it’s not just a marketing ploy.
PJRoss
1 posts
Ohhh, this is definitely something I want to try! I have curly hair and have read that silk pillowcases prevent damage occuring to your hair overnight, and protect your curls. I really want to see if they can make a difference to my hair!
I'd thoroughly recommend sleeping on a silk pillowcase! Did wonders for my hair! It's naturally quite dry and a bit damaged, but I swear by my silk pillowcase when it comes to sleeping. I wake up feeling so refreshed and my hair seems noticeably less tangled than when I sleep on cotton.

I got mine from Jasmine Silk, here https://www.jasminesilk.com/silk-pillowcases/c53

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!