Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Best Blue Shampoo for orange brassy tones in dyed blonde hair

18 posts, 11 members
Violet27
14 posts
Hey everyone.
Can anyone recommend a good blue shampoo.
Had my naturally dark brown hair dyed a blonde bayalage and it has more brassy orange tones rather then yellow, purple shampoo does not help.
Thank you
MissDilly
229 posts
I use Fanola shampoo when I want to lose my natural auburn and be more 'ashy' -I use Fanola No Orange (they also have No Yellow) ....it's amazing....  Google it and you'll see the reviews and videos :-)  You need to use gloves applying it - it's super strong!

trudijoy
8375 posts
when i had my balyage in i SWORE by this a few times a week, plus Lush 'Marilyn' once a week, and Daddy-O Shampoo from Lush (with a normal conditioner when i wasn't using the correcting one.

Could totally tell the difference when i ran out.  Try the John Frieda and see if you can get Lush samples for their ones. 
Violet27
14 posts
Missdilly yes I seen good reviews on the Fanola
no orange blue shampoo, I will definetely keep looking for it now as I haven't had any luck yet. Thankyou.
Trudyjoy I had no idea lush sold them, will check them out too and see which one works best for me.
MissDilly
229 posts
There's a girl on Trademe 'Mands97' that I regularly buy from, and she's fantastic..  $33 including shipping....the best price I've found including freight.  Don't confuse the Mask with the Shampoo - its the shampoo that packs the 'blue' punch :-) 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Daddy-o is a violet scented purple shampoo and they do a matching solid conditioner but Marilyn was specifically for bleached hair. Idk if they still have it but ask for generous samples and compare them all x
trudijoy
8375 posts
Also I know you said purple shampoo doesn’t help but my hair is dyed dark then it was bleached out so it was tending ginger until these and then it mellowed right out
MareeB
5239 posts
I use Brilliant Silver White hair toner which also now comes in a strawberry tone. I've just started using that one and like the slight pink tone it gives my white hair.
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I found the Brilliant Silver toner mixed with conditioner good.

Have you tried Fudge's Purple Shampoo? That's the most effective toner I've found.
SandieNZ
424 posts
Definitely Fanola - I found it way more effective that even the fudge purple! Check on trademe for some good deals 
Violet27
14 posts
Thanks for all the replies. Currently using the fudge purple shampoo and conditioner and it's not helping at all. Will give fanola a go.
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
Good luck with Fanola.

Just wondering, how long do you keep it in? I found when my hair used to get brassy I needed to keep it in for 10 minutes regularly then once a month I'd treat it for half an hour.
MissDilly
229 posts
When I use fanola, a couple of times a week I just do 5 minutes and rinse - and just put it through damp hair rather than really wetting my hair - then I wet my hair more, and lather, leave a couple more minutes and rinse.  Some weekends I put it onto dry hair like a hair dye (stand in the shower - its messy) then throw a shower cap on and leave it a good half hour, then rinse and use their No Orange Mask after.  I haven't turned blue yet - but it is the kind of product you have to experiment with I think.  I had no luck with dulling my brassy/copper tones with No Yellow, but changed to No Orange and its been fab!
KiwiLass
174 posts
I've never used Fanola, must try it! I get blond foils every 6 weeks and have been using Goldwell purple shampoo, and I'm really happy with my colour - and I went from bright red to blonde late last year (hairdressers just love that lol) with minimal issues.
I've also tried some samples of Angel en Provence's purple shampoo and conditioner, and it was amazing (pricey though).
Toni-Lee
503 posts
I alternate between fanola and fudge.
siouxsannah
261 posts
I have been using this purple shampoo I bought from the supermarket called Pro-voke. It is for blonde, platinum or white hair. It seems to work okay, and is pretty cheap for a 400ml bottle.
Susilia
484 posts
Purple shampoo is for yellow tones in bleached hair, it won’t help much with orange/brassy tones. I use Matrix brass off shampoo and hair mask and it works like a charm, but be careful not to use it too much, just when you have orange tones in your hair. If you use it all the time it will not prevent brassy tones, but will give your lightened hair a green hue, happens if you remove too much of your orange pigments.
I use mine once a month, sometimes every 2 weeks, depending on what my hair looks like.
jakaylarosa
1 posts
Definitely agree with fanola no orange, it's great! I don't use it every wash though , I use it once a week! I bought it from shampoo plus.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!