Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

The dreaded brassy orange/yellow tones

15 posts, 7 members
Kandyxx
12 posts
Ok so I always try to get the blonde hair from my dark brown hair colour, but I always give up once it has that brassy orange, this time around I dont want to give up as it does cost money haha.
I am looking for advice on what you have used to get rid of this to get the blonde hair?
At the moment it is orange/yellow tones with bits of white blonde.
Thanks in advance x

P.s im using box dyes and I have shoulder length hair, thick and alot of it haha
JessB
219 posts
I've recently (past 6 months) been lightening my hair. Found that Nodic's lightening spray (reviews here) really helps lift brassy tones. Good for already dyed blonde hair. 
Kandyxx
12 posts
Oooo thanks I will have to give this a go! How long has your hair taken to get lighter by using this spray? 6months?
Kandyxx
12 posts
Oooo thanks I will have to give this a go! How long has your hair taken to get lighter by using this spray? 6months?
JessB
219 posts
I actually saw lightening the following days of my first use which I was really impressed with. I also got 5 ish uses out of it (the first few re-lightening and the next ones were touch-ups). Admittedly I was dark blonde before dying my hair golden blonde, then used the spray :) 
Kandyxx
12 posts
Thanks :) the struggles of dark hair going lighter haha.. I will have a go of using it and see what happens.Just read a few of the reviews and alot said it drys out your hair, I hope not
JessB
219 posts
I found it did a bit, but nowhere near as much as re-dying at home. Looking through reviews from people with similar hair type/colour is probably a really good idea.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I do an intense tone which makes it a bit purple then it goes to a nice ash blonde. And I use purple shampoo twice a week with a shampoo designed for coloured hair to maintain the blonde.
Kandyxx
12 posts
How do you do tge intense toning? Do you normally have dark aswell?
Priestess
18 posts
If you are bleaching at home I assume you have put in a toner shade of blonde that you want the final look to come as.  To get rid of the brassiness and orange shades you need to wash with purple shampoo it counteracts those colouring and tones them out.  It will take a few washes and as a general rule I believe that purple shampoos come as sulphate free so they shouldn't strip your hair as much as a normal shampoo but remember that at home attempts of going blonde can damage your hair so condition it as much as possible.  In the past it has taken me 1 bleaching, 2 boxes of toner and 2 weeks of constant purple shampoo washes each day to achieve an arctic white blonde look from naturally medium brown hair.  It is a heck of a lot of maintenance though so didn't stay blonde for long, it is true what they say to be a blonde takes money!
I strongly recommend the Fudge purple shampoo. It's great stuff for removing brassiness.
Ringy
825 posts
this is a constant struggle for me - I just went to the hairdresser today saying it's too yellow - I want it creamy. She put a semi permanent in as the toners just wash out after a wash or twoand it looks good (real test is how it looks on two weeks time). I found with purple shampoo the really lights bits can get very purple when I leave it on to really get into the darker orange bits if you know what I mean? And it can get very ash looking. I sometimes use a mousse colour by clairol that is available at those hair warehouse type places tha stock a range of salon quality shampoos and dyes. It's comes in a million tones ranging from clear to red to burgundy - brown-caramel -you name it they have it - and I go a for a pearl blonde colour. I usually use the whole can in the first instance and then a golf ball size (x3 as my hair is quite long) as a maintenance. I've been lazy and going to the hairdresser lately but at $215 today I think I'll DIY a bit more. 
Kandyxx
12 posts
Thanks everyone! Im going to leave my hair as is for atleast a week before begining lightning process again plus toner.. wish me luck haha x
MareeB
5244 posts
I watched a lady on Utube do her violet shampoo. She used it like a dye, completely covering her hair then leaving it for ten minutes before washing it out. It looked good. I have four different brands at the moment and when they're used I'm going to buy the Fudge brand.
Kandyxx
12 posts
Ooo sounds good! May have to give that ago too maree

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!