Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Can you use a lighter toner to get rid of a dark one?

7 posts, 6 members
jasz74
15 posts
So I spent 3 visits to the hairdresser doing a balayage bleached ends (the finished plan was mauve over the bleached bits with chocolate roots)). My hair was quite layered with old red dyes so we knew it was going to be a bit of a mission. The 3rd visit, there was some mix up with the booking and the chick I was dealing with didn't get booked with me, another girl did. I was a little apprehensive about it, but the one I had been dealing with left detailed notes and was working at the station next to us so thought shouldnt be so bad. The bleaching and root blending went fine, got my hair really really light on the ends but then instead of her doing what we had originally planned, she decided she was going to put in a caramel toner in! I didn't really get a say in it and now my ends look darker than they did after my second visit (I'm a little pee'd off at the money I have spent to not a shade lighter after the last visit!!!

That aside, can I put in a light toner to fade the caramel? it seems to be sticking around like flies in summer lol. I've seen the wella ones online that you use a developer with - would these work and how much damage would they do to my hair? 

I've recently had a keratin smoothing treatment done - will the toner/developer strip the keratin out?

Thanks
trudijoy
8375 posts
go back and insist they correct it. You shouldn't be out of pocket for that.
Ringy
825 posts
yes - you must go back and speak to the original person you made your plan with and tell them that it's not mauve as you asked - don't put anything else in it yourself until you have been back. I had balayage ( 5 years ago!) and the toner they put in was very, very ashy- my hair looked like wet newspaper. I was left at the sink while the girl went to get someone else and I had a peek and was a tad worried. They ended up washing it for ages (like really ages) until it mostly came out. To this day I regret not saying anything because they had obviously made a mistake and neglected to tell me that. All that washing was probably damaging on my hair, a treatment or something would have been appreciated. Definitely say something. 
Macs
5351 posts
Oh no! That's terrible. This is why I have trust issues with hair dressers. I've never walked out happy. I've wished I'd have spoken up. I agree with the ladies go back and try and get it corrected. 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I would definitely go back. Perhaps ring them and explain what happened and that you are unhappy. Not good service.
Ringy
825 posts
yes ring them - it's easier than face to face! 
MareeB
5242 posts
Whether you ring or go in, definitely let them know how you feel. Bad hair service is way too common and unacceptable, especially given the $$ cost.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!