Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Writing a different review to the majority of others

27 posts, 25 members
chikoboo
3402 posts
I have just finished my review on the Collection mascara that everyone seemed to rave good things about, posted it on the site and then read others.  I feel a bit bad now though as my experience wasn't great and I had to complain about it but everyone else loved it, which got me thinking have I turned into a makeup snob or do people copy each other and not give a true review, or maybe I'm just odd lol, or maybe it was just a bad one in the batch.  

I always write my reviews throughout the day on a word document then once happy load it onto the site, and don't bother to look at the other reviews when I am writing my own up.  I do however read reviews to see if I need to buy a product, which is why I actually brought this mascara in the first place and feel kind of disappointed.  This isn't the first time my review has been totally different to the majority and it really makes me think. 
accidentprone_x
845 posts
I personally loved that mascara and is one of my favorites. I however have now started to write my reviews down on refill and am really enjoying doing it that way because I can always proof read it and use a different color pen to correct my mistakes.
Sylvia
149 posts
Although I personally really like that mascara, I just read your review and I can see how for some people it might not work that well. I think the important thing to remember is that no makeup/skincare product is going to agree with everyone! I've definitely had the experience of writing a less-than-positive review on really popular or hyped-up products (the Hurraw lip balms and Skinfood mud mask being some of them). I do think that sometimes people get a bit carried away by the positive reviews and don't see negatives in a product, so I think it is a good idea to write reviews before reading others' reviews if possible - that way it's a really unbiased evaluation of the product. :)
kayxcake
422 posts
I haven't tried the mascara so I can't comment on the product, but I love reading honest reviews, a product must have it's good and bad, if it's all 100% positive review then there must be some copying here and there. Don't feel bad ;)
RC
162 posts
That particular product aside (it's my fav mascara), I always enjoy reading a range of reviews - both the positive and negative - because no one product will be perfect for everyone, and I would be skeptical of anything that only had 100% raving positives! 
Mila
1209 posts
I'm a bit the same , I look on BR to find products I want to try or if ive found something I want to try I'll have a look and see what everyone thinks of it - I am also a bit guilty of looking at the reviews by their profile pictures to to see if  they are similar colouring to myself for some things. 

I have done a couple of reviews like that where my experience hasnt been the same as everyone elses and one was the other way around mine was a great experience but everyone else not so much?!.

I do the same as you Chikoboo I write it up in an empty email so  I can spell check and stuff first and change things if I need to. 

I do think sometimes to that because my skin is so sensitive and i'm quite pale that i'm perhaps not the norm so my experience might not be.

Pifithrin
1243 posts
I've done that before - I hated a Natio moisturiser and could not finish it, while all the other reviews were raves. I just wrote my honest review. I find it helps to include details such as your skin type etc when doing reviews, as it gives an indicator of relevance.
ChristieMJ
358 posts
As long as its honest (which I know yours is!) then thats good! Not all products work for everyone and I love reading about the good AND the bad - gives you more than one perspective on a product :) I've written bad reviews on products people otherwise enjoy and vice versa, great reviews on a product a lot of people hated! 
I try not to read reviews on the product before writing mine, incase it puts words into my head however I'll often read them after and see if I agree 
1139 posts
Sometimes my reviews are quite different to the others... I have put it down to having different needs and expectations of the product, and I also like to critically think about the product (I'm writing essays like this all the time so it's basically drilled into my brain), so I don't just focus on the positives. 
lana-la
67 posts
I totally understand where you are coming from Chickaboo, i too tried the mascara as it is a known dupe for my favourite everyday mascara and I hated it. It did not feel or look the same to me at all. I am yet t o write my review as i am trying to think of some good factors so my review isn't just short and nasty.
I think its important to be 100% honest and true to t his when reviewing a product. I have had a few friends lately who have purchased items because of You-tube reviews from "beauty gurus" and end up hating the product.
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I write mine as I hold it. After I've written it, I do read other people's. As you can see on all my Marc Jacobs perfumes and eye of Horus things, mine are all totally original. 
Id be absolutely gutted knowing someone copies what other write just so the can get points. A lot of us spend a lot of time writing decent review.
Kia
550 posts
I felt the same about the mascara Chikoboo, if you read my review on it, you can see we are in the same boat. I don't usually read other people's reviews on a product I already own, or I'm about to review, I believe in the complete honest truth in review, and stray away from what others have said! I think the way to a good review, is how it works for you personaly and not how the majority feel about it
triffid
151 posts
You are doing what Beaty Review wants by telling your side of the story.Nothing and no one is perfect and if it doesnt suit you or you dont like it you say so.It would actually be dishonest to rave over something that you didnt like .
cushlaH5
178 posts
im the same.its seems like im the only one who hated chi chi foundation, limecrime velvetines and revlon colorstay lol. but everyone reacts differently :) i dont pay attention to other peoples reviews when writing my own. i dont like to be swayed in a different direction. i just write honest reviews :)
Shazzaali
45 posts
I read the Beauty Review reviews before buying new products as I trust us Kiwi chicks will be honest and open about our opinions instead of just writing positive reviews because everyone else is. I'm sure we all give our honest opinions but maybe there are some people that feel bad about giving something a bad review.I appreciate honest reviews be it good or bad, atleast that way people can get a feel for the product and see that it may not work as well for some people and may be perfect for others. Appreciate your reviews chikoboo
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
I always write my review before reading the others, and it doesn't always have the same 'vibe.' At the end of the day I write honest reviews, and always mention my own skin type, needs, history of products used etc because sometimes it has more to do with my own expectations rather than the product itself. I think my personal history of products (as in the fact that I had used some great bronzers before trying the elf one) has a big influence on what I think of the product. For someone who is really new to bronzers, they will probably enjoy it more as their expectations will be lower. I'm thinking you have probably used a lot of mascaras in the past chikaboo. My most recent review was on the Lancome visionnaire serum and I describe it as a product that has changed my life.. however if someone didn't have acne scarring or major skin concerns before using it, they would probably be dissapointed at spending such a large amount of money on it. Everyone is different, and as long as we are explaining WHY we do or don't like a product, everyone still has a fair chance to form an opinion when reading reviews. xx
PaigeC
194 posts
I think I usually just write my review and then after I've submitted it, and depending on the product, I will see what everyone else thought. I like reading the other reviews because sometimes they bring up issues or positives that I did/didn't notice (like with the Palmolive Peppermint Crush Body Cream, I had no issues with the bottle whatsoever but everyone else did so I thought that was interesting to note- I must have got a freak bottle coz I sure don't have freakish strength :)

There have definitely been products that others have loved and I haven't (Lucas Pawpaw ointment for one). I think as long as the review explains why you did/didn't like something then that allows others reading it to make a really informed choice regarding purchasing which is exactly what the site is about
accidentprone_x
845 posts
I have been reading through the maybelline better skin foundation and have also been trialling it and have my review down on abit of paper but I just haven't fallen in love with it and personally don't understand why people think its so amazing. But I have no idea if it's the way I have been applying it but no one has shared that advice on it yet. But my review is completely my own opinion and have given myself till the last day to see if I do fall in love with it.
Macs
5351 posts
I had a simlar experience with Bio oil. I think some people just have different results. 
1139 posts
I think that Chelsea has summed it up perfectly!
SandyGedge
394 posts
I never read other reviews until I've finished mine. I too get disappointed when reading reviews and 2 or more are pretty much worded exactly the same :-(

You always write amazing reviews hun (chikoboo) so please don't feel bad for being honest xx
Paulam
53 posts
Gosh don't feel bad for being honest about a product you didn't find suited you! We aren't all cardboard cutouts who suit exactly the same thing in the same way. I am similar to you, always write my reviews on my mac first, then copy paste it in so I can spell check it first really ;) Then I look at the other reviews just above it, not all of them. I did a review of a BB Cream I trialled for BR and wasn't actually impressed with, yet there were SO MANY good reviews for it. I didn't worry.

Reviews should be based on the users experience, not what other people have experienced, and therefore that makes an honest (or negative) review a great balance for other people to consider when they come to look at whether that product would suit them in particular. 

now i'm ranting. you go girl. 
ieseon
67 posts
Don't doubt yourself! Everyone has different experiences, as they say "individual results may vary."  Just because everyone else loved it or not, doesn't mean you will have the same results and feelings about it.  In the end, you were being honest about your review and that's what counts.  Also, it is important to have contrast in reviews so people are informed and warned just in case it won't work on them.
littleparadise
178 posts
Yes! This is what Beauty Review is all about! Our honest opinions on tried and tested products! I love reading all kinds of reviews especially those who didnt find the product worked for their skin type, or it didn't do what the product or company said it would do. 

At the end of the day, everyone has different skin and tastes, so people should still try a product they are dying to try even it does have a not so good review. It is all personal preference. I just really hope girls take this seriously and don't watch a youtube video and cast their reviews on other peoples opinions. If that makes sense! 
MicheleC
419 posts
The fact that you are asking the question, considering your situation means you are very mindful of the influence our reviews have on the purchasing decisions that others make. I try to write as full account of my experience as possible. I hope that I always give people enough information to understand my experience and in some cases relate to it in depth. When I am looking for a product to buy I find those that have a good overall rating. Then I read reviews I start with the reviews that give the lowest ratings first. The reason that I do this is to find out what people didn't like about the product and see if there is anyone who might match my skin type or experiences. Then I go to the higher rates reviews. I discount any review that only has three sentences with 5/5 because WOW it's a great colour and really suits my skin tells me nothing valuable. Like Elena I come from an academic background and look at things rather logically. My brutal honesty doesn't always get top marks but it is what it is. chikoboo just keep writing good honest, comprehensive and useful reviews. You make up for all of the reviews that are short but not sweet.
Marcel
335 posts
I do the same thing Chikoboo, check out other reviews after posting my own to see how the experiences compare, not before unless it's something i'm thinking about buying.. I noticed something similar with my last review something a lot of people loved and I didn't. I think when peoples experiences differ so much other than being based on different skin types and features it's also based on previous experiences with similar products. You Chikoboo have written a lot of reviews you've obviously tried a lot of different product, point is someone who's only tried a few different mascaras is likely to review differently than someone whos tried a whole bunch of them. The person who's tried a whole lot is more likely to be more of a critic? I don't know if that's right or not just an idea..
Lutece
1849 posts
I totally understand where you coming from, a month or more ago I wrote a review for the MAC FIX plus spray that didn't work for me but it did for everyone else, I love your reviews because your honest and write very descriptive reviews :)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!