Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Why oh Why Mecca

84 posts, 17 members
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I love the fact that Mecca pop in a wee sample with your online order but why oh why do they have to put in one that costs nearly $400 a bottle and you have just fallen in love with it. Ahhhh no wahhhh. I so can't justify those kinds of prices. Why are they so darned expensive?

Anyone else got a sample of something in the past and it is extremely expensive?
shazatron101
5112 posts
Yes but not that spendy - it was a drunk elephant oil sample and man it was gorgeous but the price almost had me cutting my own kidney out for the black market lmao
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Yes always face masks I get samples for,  use them, fall in love then when I look them up they are over $100! One was the By Terry Detoxilyn City Mask.
Omg Shaz that pic melts my heart! She is a little mini you <3 That hair!
shazatron101
5112 posts
Haha the hair is a reverse mullet, theres almost nothing going on in the back hahahahahaha
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Ooooh yes I've heard that Drunk Elephant is a nice brand - I wanted to try out the F - Balm, amazing for hydration but yikes, the price. I suppose that's how they draw people in to purchase their more expensive products. I've seen candles on there for hundreds of dollars  I'm like have the retailers officially lost the blog and gone bonkers ha ha ha.

Oh Shaz, she is absolutely gorgeous. I agree, shes like your mini me, just like Avalon is mine lol. I have taken her to work a couple of times and so many have said 'Oh Sarah, shes your little mini me'. I find it cute but not sure how Avalon feels about looking like her Mum ba ha ha.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Omg yes!! Like what are these things being made out of? Unicorn blood and leprechaun lucky charms? Come on. Sometimes the prices are so unnecessary. Like Peter Alexander pjs, sale on right now, you can get $70 pants for like $20 now. Like whats the point of making it so spendy to start with! 

Bahaha well im just glad she looks like me and not his family hahahahaha. My god yes Avalon is your mini lol
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Hahaha awwww cute. How old is she? 
shazatron101
5112 posts
Um... good question... lmfao im pretty sure shes 4 months old. Time flies when you dont know what the time is! 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Oh only 4 months! My niece is 6 months and pretty much bald still lol. She is going to have a great set of locks, well when the back grows in lmao
shazatron101
5112 posts
Yeah she will! She came out with a full crop lol supposedly if you get heartburn the baby will have hair, i dunno how true that is cos its an old wives tale, but well in my case its clearly very true hahahahahaha

SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Mumof3 was that the Amore Pacific sample? I got one too and I'm kinda putting off using it as I know how lovely their products are. I've also noticed that as you move up to loop 3, the samples get more high end in the loop boxes too. I just view them as a special, very short term treat, if it's something I wouldn't splash that much cash on. Also when you go to Mecca for a makeup application, they always use the high end stuff and use the expensive skincare on you first to try to get you hooked again! 

Ive tried quite a few Drunk Elephant products in sample size and they're ok, but not worth the price. I haven't been wowed enough to buy any of them full size. Shaz, if it's the Marula oil, The Ordinary do one that's just as good. Marula oil itself isn't an expensive ingredient. As for Peter Alexander, I've never paid full price for anything from there. It means I've missed out on lots of stuff as it's all limited editions, but I ain't paying that much for pjs lol. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Shaz, I think it's hilarious that you're not entirely sure how old your child is lol. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Worldofsooziewong - yes the AmorePacific brand. I'm literally in love. If I had known how expensive these products were going to be, I probably wouldn't have opened it. Nearly fell off my chair in shock when I saw the price. Like seriously, what is in them to make them so expensive yikes. 

My last spend looks like it has bumped me now up to Level 2 Beauty Loop but it is yet to be updated - think it maybe the 15th perhaps as it is showing I don't need to spend anymore to reach it. I have no idea how they work it out so if you could explain, that would be fabulous lol.

If those samples were from Level 1, I'm now too scared to see what samples come in your order if you are Level 2 yikes. I do enjoy using the samples though as one time awhile back I got a sample of Glamglow in the silver peel off formula, which I fell in love with and then went and purchased the full size which I still use. That is in my basket of items to finish soon woop woop.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Yes, they review your account and update your status on the 15th of each month. Great news is that you'll be getting the level 2 loop box next time. Your level doesn't affect the samples you receive for online orders, I meant the ones you get in your loop box. The higher the level, the less sachets and more deluxe minis you get (up to four) and the brands tend to be more high end too. One thing I never buy anymore thanks to loop boxes is mascaras. I have a stash of minis to get through. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Ah I get you now, sorry misunderstood what you meant oops.

Oh cool, I've only had one or two Loop boxes as the last couple I didn't need to buy anything and was on a strict budget so didn't get them. This time around I'm sure I'll have no problem being able to claim one he he he.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Handy hint: if there's nothing you 'need' to buy at the time, and you have the money, buy a gift card to use later. I do that a lot. I always use the gift card eventually and it means I don't just buy stuff for the sake of it or to get free shipping lol. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
No worries, mumof3. I've edited that post to make it clearer! Sorry for the confusion!
SmileyPisces
253 posts
Amore pacific... I only tried one of the samples... and totally agree. It surely was nice =D
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Ooooh genius, love your way of thinking, a gift card instead of a purchase sounds like a great idea. Didn't think of that ha ha ha.

Thanks for explaining, I get confused easily when it comes to things like that lol.

Do the loop boxes come out at the same times each year?
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Just to clarify, it needs to be a physical gift card they send out to you, not the e-gift cards. Sometimes you get a free gift with the $50+ cards. It was a Mecca cosmetica hand cream over xmas. 

And yes the loop boxes do come out at the same time each year, four times a year. Level 2 & 3s also get random bonus gifts throughout the year which have been great so far. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
yeah i'm hearing you.

La Mer Eye Cream.

Amazing. Incredible. Would love more.

But it's $300.  I could just buy new eyes (well nearly) for $300.
trudijoy
8375 posts
also am on the floor cry-laughing at Shaz's replies to the 'how old is your baby' q lol

she's freaking adorable, that's how old she is.  So like....78 'aw's :D
trudijoy
8375 posts
also this has all reminded me i have an unused makeup application at Mecca I really should do.  hmmmm
shazatron101
5112 posts
Hahahahahaha shhhhh i am a special breed.. good thing ive multiplied bahahahahahahahahahaha
Roseanne
3 posts
I got an Amore Pacific sample (the Vintage Single Extract Essence) and I did not check the price before I started using it. Needless to say, I loved it and I went to look it up and I stopped in my virtual tracks at the $250 price tag. I am willing to invest more in my skincare than I would on makeup but I also love the essences I do have which are a reasonable price haha! I was still able to get a great number of uses out of the small vial so I'm happy I got it in my box anyway.
MareeB
5239 posts
Awwwww Shaz bubs is sooo darling!!
First Lady
957 posts
$250!! Ouch!  

Welcome to the forum Roseanne!  xoxo
Jessicaparkin
13 posts
I'm yet to try Mecca, are they really any good? 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Oh they're definitely good, Jessica! Their customer service is second to none. And they do have affordable products in there was well. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yep Mecca are excellent. Great range of quality products and outstanding customer service. The loyalty/reward scheme is exceptional too
KLO24
6 posts
Yep. The La Mer moisturiser. The $780 one. It  might be made of leprechaun dreams and unicorn farts, it certainly feels like it. This is a habit I really can't afford!!! Waaaah!!! 
MissDilly
229 posts
Oh I've purposely not used my La Mer moisturiser sample because I'm worried I'll love it too much!  I love Drunk Elephant and have purchased after trying some samples  :)   Others though, the price point is too high to justify it.... Always look forward to my mecca samples and loop box samples  :)
tannygirl
3392 posts
Kate somerville exfoliakate. But it's worth it because I get super soft skin and I only have to use a little bit twice a week max.
trudijoy
8375 posts
i went to Mecca chch today as I'm nearly out of my cleanser, but they don't have it down here.  So they gave me samples of Eve Lom and Drunk Elephant instead.  This is gonna get expennnnnnnnnnnnsive. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I can't use the Eve Lol cleanser as it has the dreaded eucalyptus oil in it. It also smells like tequila to me lol. 

Apparently La Mer cream has pretty much the same ingredients as Nivea Soft. Since hearing that, I think it even smells like Nivea too. 
MareeB
5239 posts
Ewww I can't stand eucalyptus soozie, the smell makes me violently ill.

SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I love the smell of eucalyptus but my eyes react to it horribly. It's amazing how many high end cleansers have it in. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
I can;t smell eucalyptus in theEve Lom but the ingredients list it, so  thanks for the heads up!  I used the Drunk Elephant Slaai one tonight, so far so good.

I di bring my usual Clinique one with me but my workmate forgot her cleanser so i'm sharing, and just not sure it'll make it through, so figured a 'way past' Mecaa pop-in was appropriate. 
MareeB
5239 posts
It has a strong negative emotional connection for me due to an incident in the past. If I smell it somewhere all those horrid feels overwhelm me again. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Oh no! Just as well we're not koalas, Maree! 
MareeB
5239 posts
Yes indeed sooz, I wouldn't want to be a koala!
Kylenefs
68 posts
oh [color=#1c1e21]thats sneaky marketing make you feel like you are getting a freebie but really its an expensive product and hope you will love it and buy it next time[/color]
trudijoy
8375 posts
Personally I don't think it's sneaky per se, I do like being able to try more expensive things. It's just annoying when I fall in love with one and can't justify the purchase amount (even though I can afford the items I have limits for what I will spend). They're not at all underhanded about it and in fact I e heard and seen people, including on BR b*tch about samples that 'arent high end enough' as well.

tannygirl
3392 posts
Does anyone know when the next beauty loop box is going to be released?
trudijoy
8375 posts
There are loads of conversations about that in the forum - it'll be in about a week or two.
Susilia
484 posts
Next loop boxes coming on Wednesday! :) 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Oh yay! I was hoping it was this week as I am going in on Saturday, but hadnt seen any announcements yet. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
Oh yay. I was hoping it would be sound as I want to shop the Mecca Sale when I do an order to get my box. I hope the item I want is still available then. :-)
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I think the sale is over tannygirl. It started on Boxing Day. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yeah I'm also pretty sure that's long since over 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!