Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Who's Seal of Approval On a Beauty Product Do You Look For Before You Make the Decision to Purchase?

12 posts, 9 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
    We are heading into the holiday season and quite few beauty companies have released their Christmas holiday sets and limited edition goodies. I like to wait till an item has been reviewed a fair bit before I'll purchase it. But earlier this year I remember seeing the Becca Apres palette on sale at Sephora and researching reviews a bit on online maybe for about an hour before it was in my cart and paid for. That was largely due to seeing a review from Wayne Goss recommending it. And he was right! I do like that palette, it was good value for money and I get a beautiful complexion using it.

I don't really take Beauty Youtubers seriously especially with all their PR hauls, but Wayne is different he won't have a new product to review or recommend rave about it and then it's never seen or heard from again plus out of the hundreds videos he's done I've only come across maybe five sponsored ones and one was for audiobooks. Plus the looks he does are timeless and since I tend to hang on to my makeup way too long I like the idea that the look I create from the product isn't going to look dated. 

So who's seal of approval on a beauty product do you look for when it comes to researching what makeup products or beauty products you buy (talking mainly about the more expensive ones palettes, foundations, expensive serums, pricey lippies, etc. not the cheaper basic staples like body lotion, shower gel or lip balm you see and decide to look up a couple reviews on and buy). 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Caroline Hirons, Sali Hughes, Renee from Gothamista (especially for Korean skincare). I love Caroline as she is no nonsense and and definitely isn't influenced by PR. She is also the same age as me which makes her advice even the more applicable. Her prefered brands tend to be pricey but she also recommends budget items as well. But I find all three of them to be honest in their reviews.
Macs
5351 posts
My Beauty Review regulars on this site , determine a lot of my purchases . I trust the ladies here especially the long term members that I see here weekly . 

I dont go on you tube for reviews. I only go there to watch for make up application tips rather than purchasing products. I prefer reading multiple blogs before making a descision which is hardly ever . 
tannygirl
3392 posts
    I definitely read reviews on the products if the product is listed and reviewed. But when the item is limited edition it's unlikely it'll be listed here.
MareeB
5239 posts
I read the reviews on BR before I buy anything. I read lots of reviews but only really take notice of the ones that are well written. One and two-liners don't help me at all. I pay particular heed to the expert members that have been around a while and engage with all areas of the site because I believe they're more invested and have integrity. It's a bit like respecting the colleagues you know are reliable and good at the job - if that makes sense!
Helibabi
101 posts
I use to fumble my way through life just buying products silly nilly that sounded amazing and was often disappointed until a wonderful friend told me about this site. 
I didn’t use YouTube or other means as I didn’t really have time to watch a 10 min vid about a product when I could be watching a makeup tutorial or game of thrones lol. Also I know a lot of insta influencers just vid unboxings and thank the sender not often reviewing the products themselves so they look amazing but we don’t get a full run down. 
I fully agree with you Maree I look at the well written reviews (yours included Maree) by the girls on here. 
I have been enabled but I haven’t actually had regrets about a product I’ve brought yet so the sites working for me :) 
tabucutie
1811 posts
I tend to do my research on BR. I trust them more than influencers or YouTube beauty gurus as I believe they are more honest. They are not getting paid or receiving free PR, more than likely paid for with their own  hard earned money.
Julieal
915 posts
I use BR first and if no reviews google a few sites
Imoshen
461 posts
For me I look to Dr Dray, Gothamista and HotandFlashy.  I love watching their reviews on products and some of their recommendations have had really good results with my skin.
trudijoy
8375 posts
there's noone i 100% trust because everyone has different skin, hair, needs etc. So I'll make a decision to purchase either based on a total whim, an instore trial or more often seeing smeone raving about something on IG or BR that will make me seek it out to trial. I never just buy something because someone else likes it though, I've learned to be a bit more careful. BR for example is full of reviews, some are placed in a short time frame if it's a trial, some longer, some people have similar skin/hair, some don't, and I don't find all the reviews on here give me the information I need to make a decision.

On IG there are people who are pretty real and point me towards things i might try - astylecollector, helen_maree, it'smandymoo, and even the likes of Sharyn Casey etc - tell it like it is type ladies.

I almost never buy before i try if it's more than about $25 though.
MareeB
5239 posts
Ooooo if anyone sees any good sets for sale could they please share them here? I'll start looking myself ...
tannygirl
3392 posts
     I would love to try out the products at Sephora but until one opens in Christchurch I'm outta luck. So rely on reviews for the stuff posted there. The main reason why I don't have a full sized foundation or concealer from Sephora unless I had a chance to try it out via sample sachets and found it to be a good match. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!