Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Who knew a beauty site could impact you so much

28 posts, 27 members
chikoboo
3402 posts
As some of you who know me on the outside of BR know, I have recently been made redundant from my full time civil work (yep that was why I wore hi-vis vests in a lot of my selfies) instead of being all doom and gloom about it, I actually feel revived and like I have a second chance on life.   I'm not an office dweller, it is just something I stumbled into after I left school because I didn't get the grades I needed to do other things.  So my entire adulthood has been a slow boring account/administrative roundabout where I get more and more depressed working 9-5 (well I wish!! it was more 6.30 to 6)

Anyway 3 years ago I joined this amazing site where my inner passion for all things beauty related, shiny and glittery was forced out of me at an alarming rate, igniting a new side of me I didn't realise was that important to me.  I'm a beauty-a-holic and now thanks to the job loss and spend-a-holic in rehab with a healthy sized beauty room stocked to the roof.   From all the information I have absorbed over these short years and each piece making me love it more I took the plunge over the weekend and signed onto a course to become a International Master of Makeup Artistry, which means I will gain all the tools I need to pursue any employment in the beauty industry, or in fact start something all of my own.  I am extermely excited, and for the first time in a very long time happy about what my work future holds, and it is all thanks to BR for being there in the first place and tapping into that area of my brain that locked up all this passion...who knew!!

Just wanted to share my love for this site, I may not be around on the forums as much as I used to be, but I am still here in the wings =) 
Head Pixie
569 posts
It's like my heart just exploded into a great big rainbow candy floss mountain. 

Good on you, Chikoboo, for finding and pursuing your calling. The faces you'll eventually be working on will be lucky to have you.

xoxox
MareeB
5241 posts
Oh Kirsty that's wonderful news - good for you! I'm so excited for you and I just know you'll be a raging success xx I'm very much looking forward to reading about your journey as you go :)
Arohas
77 posts
Hi chikoboo. I love what head pixie said. This post shows that negative can turn into such wonderful positives. I look forward to reading about your journey. I also enjoy reading the tips you have shared here.

Aroha
Macs
5351 posts
I love these kinds of topics . I wish you well on your journey chikoboo. I never thought a site like this could have so much impact in my life. I started my reviews with four sentences. I can't believe I used to write like that omg! Beauty review has helped me understand
make up. I didn't know about skincare or anything like that. My life has changed significantly this year I've moved up from my beach side life trying to adapt to this big city life has been a challenge for me and my little family. I will always be here on the site, to review because I enjoy it so much. I found so much hapiness through this beauty site . Discovering products has been used as a santuary for me. Specially Lush baths omg its good . My partner sees how much joy it gives me and encourages it (thank goodness) . I feel blessed to be apart of fellow beauty lovers who have a common interest in beauty and openly share their wealth of knowlege with me and everyone else. Big thank you to the team at BR and fellow members xxxx
SandyGedge
394 posts
I am super excited for you hun! You are so talented and I look forward to hearing your journey xxx
kirstyj
1732 posts
Exciting stuff! Can't wait to be your Guinea pig :)
BR-Queenie
261 posts
Hi Chickoboo

Well it's true that if you do a job you love you'll never have to work another day in your life. 

Sometime the push to do something that we may secretly want to do but for some reason think will never be possible may come from the most unlikely of sources or occurances. 

It's a privilege to learn how positively the site has impacted on you and I look forward to seeing how your journey unfolds.

Love

Queenie xox
chikoboo
3402 posts
Thanks everyone your encouragement means so much! And yes Kirsty I'll be after you as a guinea pig lol. Wow thanks also pixie and queenie xx
MissQT
1547 posts
What's wonderful story Kirsty! Great to hear that you are following your dream and I look forward to seeing your updates on your Facebook page.
Rezee
1964 posts
That is amazing Chikoboo! I so believe in the saying that when one door shuts, another opens and this sounds so true for you too. I am looking forward to seeing what you do in the future and I feel your postive attitude and love for beauty will take you very far indeed!
-Bex-
611 posts
Congratulations Chikoboo!! I am so excited for you, I can't wait to see what you get up to in the future. 
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Best of luck and good on you for taking something not so good and turning it into a positive opportunity. This site and the people on it are inspiring :)
tannygirl
3392 posts
So sorry to hear about being made redundant. But happy to hear about you getting to pursue your passion. I know you'll do a fantastic at beauty. 
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Naww that was such an inspiring read! Best of luck for a new beginning! And I love how positive you are I'm sure it's much better to be doing something you enjoy.
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Amazing inspiring story! I can't wait to see what you do in the bear future xx Good luck with your future endeavors xo
Qweenkaren
313 posts
while finances may get a bit tough, I'm a little bit pleased you have been pushed out of that soul sucking job. (that is how it read to me).
I'm always happy to act as a guinnea pig too - and I have teenage girls - they are still a couple of years from needing ball makeup - but could be good promo girls ;)
Rajvee2588
221 posts
I am really happy for you. Less people get chance to do what they actually want to do. You are one of them. And yes this website is amazing. BR also teach me a lot. Best of luck for your future.
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Congratulations Chikoboo! You would be an amazing artist, your knowledge is impressive. How exciting for a new chapter in your life (and no more hi-vis vests!)
Emily-jane
314 posts
I was sorry to hear you were made redundant but I think it's wonderful and inspiring that you are taking the opportunity to do your passion. I personally don't know you but I enjoy reading your reviews.  I wish you all the best in the future x
Artemis
311 posts
Sorry to hear about your job, but I do believe this is a case of 'a window closing, and a door opening', its exciting to see these new opportunities arise for you - you are talented at makeup, and its obviously a passion so I think the future will have bright things ahead for you.

Love reading your blog and Insta, and will be following your journey with great interest

Kimrose
1416 posts
Wow, just Wow!
MrsRosie
214 posts
Go you for making the best of a bad situation, I believe in the saying 'everything happens for a reason' and feel this is quite applicable to you in your situation with work and BR :) Good luck for your future, Im sure you are going to go places with your positive attitude and determination. xx
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Wow Chikoboo, I had no idea that you had been made redundent. I love how you are turning this situation into a positive thing for you, and I wish you all the best! 
trudijoy
8375 posts
great story. I think the main things BR has helped me with is forging new friendships coming out of depression, and also realising i'm not actually as disgusting looking as i was convinced that i was. Also, making me brave enough to try things like wings and bold lips. Plus having somewhere to come to in the darker times for a bit of light banter - today is one such time as we got some not unexpected, but still very sad news yesterday - is much appreciated
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Chikoboo that is wonderful news! I know you hated putting that hi-vis on. Congratulations on new beginnings!
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Omg Chikoboo, that is amazing, I have massive warm fuzzy feelings going on reading this.  Yes, its sad about being made redundant but in some respect it was like it was meant to be to start you on your new journey, I'm super happy for you hun, congrats xxxx
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Not I, I knew how this site influenced me but it is great to know how it has influenced others. Redundancy is a horrible word, work released you to a new path in life sounds so much better. For myself redundancy was the most liberating thing that happened since I packed up everything and moved halfway round the world.
You will be successful in this adventure.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!