Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

20 posts, 14 members
tabucutie
1811 posts
In the last couple of days I have pulled out 3 white hairs! I'm turning 30 at the end of the year and can't help thinking it's a bit downhill from here. My mum is 50 something and still has a full head of black hair with the odd white hair so I'm hoping I'm just over reacting. Does anyone else have experience, comments or suggestions on the white hair/aging topic?
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Hey chick! Haha the dreaded white hairs. I am 37 and honestly been getting them since my mid 20s. Whilst it has got worse mine are at the sides and only really noticeable when my hair is pulled up high. I do get a couple pop up at the front but I pull them out. In all reality it's normal, we all age differently and the joy is we can dye our hair or just learn to live with it. My nana when she passed at 88 did not have 1 grey! How crazy is that :-)
RamblingRose
1280 posts
The odd white hair can also pop up if you’ve been stressed or very ill.  I got my first white hair shortly after my Mom passed away (I was 28 at the time) and then nothing further until we did our big, very stressful international move to NZ (6 years later), when a few more popped up, all in a little cluster, but no new ones came up for years after that. 

I have noticed a few more creeping in around my hairline over the past few months, but at 40, I think it’s now just a normal part of the aging process.  I don’t pluck them out as it might damage the root resulting in the hair not growing back. Personally, I’d rather be grey than bald in my old age, and every hair is precious to me as I do have such thin, fine hair already. 

Everybody’s different and people go grey at different ages - my brother started going grey at 16.  Unfortunately, there’s nothing you can do to stop it, but there are lotions and potions to disguise the grey, or you could embrace your natural “silver highlights”. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
   My mom is in her fifties and you'd have to really search her head to find the grey hairs. A friend who hadn't seen her in years asked if she dyed her hair as he couldn't believe she would still have thick, shiny black hair at her age. I really hope I'm as lucky as her, so far I haven't found any grey hairs yet but if you only have a few I would say leave them because it makes it look like your doing really well for your age to only have a few.

trudijoy
8375 posts
I’m 38, started going great at 11 -, started dying it at about 15, was pretty much completely grey in my twenties but have been dying it 23 ish years, now (potentially fatally) allergic to PPD so using one of two safe options I currently have. Have considered letting the grey win and then putting bright rinses in but the growing out phase would be yucky. 

Hereditary early grey-ing ( Aunty was the same) complicated with a chronic thyroid condition that also affects the hair colour. It is what it is...,
MareeB
5239 posts
I also started going grey in my early teens. Thanks to that and Graves disease, I'm completely white. I hate it.
tabucutie
1811 posts
Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate hearing everyone's different experiences. I didn't take the stress factor into account  the last couple months have been stressful. The hairs were all in the same patch. Hopefully I don't see anymore for some years to come.(I pulled them all out) I like the grey/silver looks these days and like to think I wouldn't mind if it all went that colour at once. Not that it works like that, uh well.
SmileyPisces
253 posts
Nanny tales from our side says you’ll get white hairs if you’re thinking too much, hence i definitely believe stress is one of the factors if you suddenly get a strand or two. 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
There is an old wives tale that if you pull them out 50 more will grow lmao! That's not true cause I yank mine out. 
Helibabi
101 posts
I have an identical twin and she is brunette with a lot of greys through her hair from an early age maybe 21 they all popped up.. whereas I had none.
I had no grey hairs - until I had my first baby age 28 and it was just a few in the front.. got a few more with time and more babies haha I’m now 33 but it’s still a pluckable amount for now. 
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I’ve always wondered whether the pulling hairs out and more growing back was a myth or not.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I think it's a myth because the people that have gone full scale white or grey don't exactly have thick heads of hair. Personally my opinion is that if you obssess about something you will find more of it. 
_Justine_
3 posts
I'm 30 but have had them since 25ish. Always around the crown of my head which is a bother since I like to tie my hair half up half down on days when it's not so clean and having darker hair they stand out like a sore thumb. Been getting highlights for about a year to "blend" them in. That seems to work  verywell. Recently switched to balayage for lower maintenance but not 100% sure if it is as effective as the highlights. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
Highlights is a Good idea. I hadn't thought of that as an option.
shazatron101
5112 posts
pssh you'll still be your same gorgeous self even with a few white hairs. ive got several myself, i embrace them. i call them my silver fox stripes lmao

i do remember when i first started dating the man though, his mother so lovingly pointed out that i had them "omg shannon! you have greys! at your age!" stupid woman, i have to deal with you, what do you expect!
Macs
5351 posts
Funny thing I have no grey hair on my hair but get them below the belt lol Thank god for shaving I can hide my secret . 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Oh my, Macs!

I have a few silvers (on my head lol) but I quite like them as they really pick up the colour when I dye my hair (red). I remember when I started my first job out of uni and was extremely stressed. My hairdresser noticed greys that weren’t there six weeks earlier. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
Wow Shaz I would not have taken that well. Who says that anyway?

@Macs: I'd infinitely prefer them to be on the other area than my head they would be easier to get rid of.

I have to say I pay a lot closer attention when I look in a mirror now. I'm specifically looking for any reappearance of them. Nothing yet, proud to report lol.
Macs you crack me up :-).  I’m not ready to embrace my “sparkles” yet. One day. X
MareeB
5239 posts
Macs that's hilarious. I wish there was an easy way to get rid of that hair without pain and permanently.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!