Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Which Beauty Products Did You Not Like The First Few Times But Have Since Grown On You?

12 posts, 8 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
    We've all bought products that we didn't like the first few times but then because we spent money we kept using it. A couple of products that I didn't like at first but have liked more over time are

Simple Wipes - I thought it stung my eyes and blamed the wipes turns out the spf moisturizer I had been using for years had changed the formula. And since I always start at the top of my face and work my ways down the sunscreen around my eyes would get on the wipe and irritate my eyes. Not to mention that spf would irritate my eyes when I would use it around my eye area. 
   When I switched to using an spf eyecream. The irritation stopped and the wipes were fine for removing eye makeup. They do a good job of removing eye makeup.

Oasis Beauty BB cream brush - When I first started using this brush with the BB cream from the same brand it would apply it all streaky and I really blamed the brush because my RT expert face didn't have that problem. I would pump some BB cream onto the back of my hand and then dip my brush into it and apply it that way. 
    When I started dotting the BB cream on my face before blending then I it went on much smoother and stopped streaking. 

So which products did you come to like more with time and repeated uses?
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Hmm first one I can think of if my current fav mascara, the maybelline one by one. At first I thought it was so hard to remove, and that trying to wipe it off tugged my eyelashes off. But now I actually like how well it stays put, and have upgraded to a better eyemakeup remover, so no more tugging off lashes!
thirtywinks
60 posts
Lol I can totally relate. Sometimes when I start liking a product again I find out it’s almost close to expiring which is so frustrating!

Clinique Superfine Liner for Brows: It was really hard to use the first few times as I would always end up with really drawn out dark brows. Kept using it while trying to find a better liner until I found the ideal way of using it - to apply with a lighter hand following the natural hair direction - and I have been using this product until now. I find that this is the ideal shade for the outer area of my brows as it needs a darker shade that would last the day. 

Innisfree No-Sebum Mineral Powder: I was never really a powder person but bought this on a whim mainly to get rid of oil from my face later on during the day. I don’t have oily skin though so sometimes I just forget about its existence in my bag altogether. One day I just decided to set my concealer with this powder and was amazed by its longevity! It was then I started noticing the effect of actually using this powder to set my make-up and its matte finish.  Ended up finishing the pot (thankfully) and finding out that the powder apparently has good reviews and a strong following. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
The only one that comes to mind recently is the L'Oreal Paris Purifyin Sugar scrub: the heat and feeling o creepy crawlies all ove my face really annoyed me. I don't notice the heat anymore probably becuse of the colder weather and I'm getting past the feeling of bugs on my face.
tannygirl
3392 posts
    One that I really didn't initially like for the first few weeks but have come to find it okay  was the Ordinary Azealaic Acid. It piled so bad and really dried out my skin but I have found out how to apply it so that it pills only maybe a tiny bit. You apply it a thin layer to your skin after you've applied water based hydrating serums and toner and then pat, not rub, a light moisturizer on top.

I've used two tubes of it and I haven't seen a difference so once I've finished up my current tube that's it. 
thirtywinks
60 posts
It can be a little trickier for skin care because some products do give you break outs at the beginning before giving you the pay off later. Or sometimes (like for @tannygirl) you really need to spend time finding the best way to apply a product for it to really work. That's provided the breakout doesn't put you off. I look at forums beforehand but you really have to try for yourself to know what works best for you.

I remember all that hype for the Aztec Secret - Indian Healing Clay which also came with a warning about clogging your pipes. I got so paranoid about it that I would usually wash it off very carefully with warm water on a small bowl in my sink, then pouring the more watery liquid on the sink and the rest in the toilet. It was so SO hassle that I almost stopped using it. 

I also tried out the Mini Slant Tweezers from Tweezerman last year and it was so hard to use. They were seriously so tiny and hard to get a proper grip on. But they were also hella expensive so I couldn't not use it. It took about two months until I finally got used to its size and it wasn't so bad after that. 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Lush Herbalism Cleanser. The first time I used it I literally gagged on the smell and seriously thought about just throwing the tub away. I’ve been using it for a week now, and I’ve gotten used to the smell (I still don’t like the scent, but it’s not as gag-worthy anymore), and I actually like how it’s making my oily skin feel. It definitely has unclogged some stubborn blackheads on my nose, and leaves my skin feeling oh so smooth and clean, but not stripped of all natural moisture. 
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Mellow's liquid lipstick. I hadn't use liquid lipsticks much and found it really drying. After using Kat Von D's which is an amazing formula. I got used to them and now wear the Mellow one all the time.
Koni
444 posts
Benefit Benetint.  After using it for 5 months I still hated it but 2 years later I have to have it in my makeup stash (wish it wasn't so pricey!?).  I still feel it requires a bit of effort which was one of the pain points but I have a better appreciation for tints today - which reminds me I need to update my review.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I find I have to work so quickly with the benefit tints to avoid weird patterns but I love the finish! I have benetint and lollitint 
tannygirl
3392 posts
      Trilogy rosehip oil. My first facial oil was the Trilogy Antioxidant+ I really like that one. Then I decided to try plain rosehip oil.
    I tried the plain Trilogy rosehip oil and I disliked the smell it reminded me a bit of fish oil (probably all the omegas if that's what they smell like), but after about two weeks I hardly noticed the smell and I liked the results I got from using it.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Becca hightlighters.  The first few times I've used them I thought they were a bit too shimmery and I was new to highlighters too. I never was into the metallic shine to be seen from outer space. Since then they have grown on me.  I also switched the brush I use to one that gives a diffused hightlight and I loved the resulting glow. Now I want more Becca highlighters.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!