Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Which Beauty Products Did You Initially Dislike & Continued To Dislike?

51 posts, 16 members
tabucutie
1811 posts
I have been reading @tannygirl thread about products you didn't like and then grew to like. It got me thinking about the flip side of that ; products you didn't like when you first tried them and after several uses still don't like them. 

I have been using a new mascara recently W7 Lashtastic False Liquid Lashes. The title held high hopes. I have really disliked it from the first use. The brush is so stiff as well as the bristles. There is more mascara on the end of the wand instead of on the wand itself. The end result is lacking. It has been a week now and each day I use it and still dislike although I hope the next time I use it I will change my mind. It hasn't happened yet. 

Have you had similar experiences?
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Lush Herbalism Cleanser - I really don't like the smell or the 'waxy' residue that it seems to leave on my face.  I've been using it for two weeks now, hoping that it would grow on me, but nope!

Moisture Mist Beauty Cake - I really wanted to love this product, but I find it so difficult to build up to medium coverage without it going cakey.  I tend to only use it now on days when I don't mind having light coverage.  I'm still in two minds whether I'd purchase a refill, as I have the LE packaging with the gorgeous fantail on it, and I want to definitely keep the pretty compact.

itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I disliked and continued to dislike a nivea cleanser I used to have and my maybelline superstay 24hr lipstick. Neither felt nice on.
MareeB
5244 posts
I loved Nivea cream when I was young, but used a few years ago and did not like it as much.
tannygirl
3392 posts
Antipodes Mineral Foundations - First of all they have a very limited color range but I really wanted to try a mineral foundation. First time I tried it within 10 minutes of application my face was red and itchy slightly burning, washed it off. Tried again later same reaction, wash wait another time. Give it one more try, same story. Turns out I'm allergic to bismuth oxylchoride. 

I asked a sales person specializing in Antipodes about it. She reassured me the bismuth was from a natural source....yeah it's still an irritant that should have left out. But anyways with the limited shade range I'm not really missing out.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Crazy rumours lip balm, horrible grainy feeling and smelt awful.
tabucutie
1811 posts
@itaclearascrystal: Was that the recently released 24hr liquid lipstick? I got to trial one and only used a handful of times. I liked the colour but it was a bit patchy and didn't like the formula on my lips, I couldn'tet past it. 

I thought Antipodes was an all natural ingredients range. I hope I don't have any problems when I use the products I just bought. 

Goodness Balm: I really  wante dto like this as I had heard alot about it and read some reviews. I didn't like it. It felt greasy and I had to use a cleanser afterwards just to get the residue off.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
No its the one with the colour on one end and the balm on the other.
Imoshen
461 posts
I won't use the Antipodes mineral foundation because of the Bismuth Oxycholoride in it.  

That sales assistant knows as much as Jon Snow.  Bismuth Oxycholoride is a KNOWN irritant no matter "the source".

If you want to try a mineral foundation purchase samples from this one for $3.  The coverage is great (use over a tinted sunscreen for a bit of extra coverage) and don't be put off by the pricing of the foundation because that stuff lasts for AGES and the sample will last at least a week.

Bella Vi

Cosmetic Companies add BO to it as a filler and to reflect light more but it also makes your pores look larger which is another reason to staaaaaaaaaaaay away, as far away as you can.

tannygirl
3392 posts
   Another Antipodes product, it didn't feel bad going on but for the price point I didn't see any results and that was the Antipodes Apostle serum. It claimed to help with freckles and discolorations and I used ALL Antipodes products with that serum morning and night for over six months hoping to see a difference and I didn't. And at the time I didn't have really bad sunspots just some tan ones and light blotches I wanted to fade. Sucks because that serum is 65 bucks a bottle.
tannygirl
3392 posts
  Oh speaking of serums there's that waaay overpriced Mitoq one $149 for 50ml. It actually feels nice on the skin supposed to reduce the look of fine lines and wrinkles, fade age spots and all that jazz. It didn't perform better on my skin than a really light moisturizer. I saw zero results and that was using it twice a day. 

I was lucky to score it for 8 bucks because that's probably an accurate price point for the results. If I had spent full price I would've been really upset considering that's almost a year's supply of rosehip oil and the rosehip oil would've actually done something for my skin!
tabucutie
1811 posts
$65? Oh I would have been livid if that had been me. That is pricey I can't say I have ever spent that much on a ssingle product. Let alone $149 what a score for $8 was it a sale or something? Goes to show that price tag does not mean superior product.
Imoshen
461 posts
Interesting you say that Tannygirl because my ex boss and I were emailing about that MitoQ this morning!

There was an article in the NZ Herald yesterday about the MitoQ supplement being scientifically tested and proven to show results so naturally I was looking at their skincare range and the thoughts of Dr Dray going through my head "all you need is a decent fragrance free moisturiser with ceramides .. that's ALL you need" so had a quick look at the ingredients and went "meh".

Thanks for mentioning that you tried it, it's incredibly pricey stuff so for that price I'd want it to do all my washing and cleaning too!

Speaking of Dr Dray you might be interested in this vid Tannygirl.  Unfortunately, the company she is talking about in this sponsored post doesn't ship to NZ :(.
tannygirl
3392 posts
@tabucutie I was really upset and it wasn't just one bottle I went through? No, I used a decent ammount twice a day everyday for over six months to really give it a fair shot. I went through at least 6 bottles. Adding up the cost now I could've gotten one full face laser treatment for that ammount. I really should have done that!
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Imoshen, if the supplement is anything like the skincare range I wouldn't go for it either. I've tried quite a few skincare supplements and the only one that has come out as one that has made a bit of difference to my skin, hair and nails is the Clinicians Rejuvenate. I noticed a bit of difference with my nail beds not being so dry and I guess when it comes to my skin it's a more of a preventative and I guess it's bit more soft and hydrated. But then it gets that way when I guzzle lots of water. I've been taking collagen pills for years. 
MareeB
5244 posts
I loved Clinicians Rejuvenate. I wish they were cheaper :(
tabucutie
1811 posts
Wow 6 months is a very decent trial time. If I dislike a product enough I will stop using it immediately. Otherwise I will continue to use it until it has finished just to get my moneys worth.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Another supplement I would never recommend is Imedeen Classic. At 269 for a 3 month's supply you can pop two of the name brand pills and see zero improvement in your skin, hair and nails! I won it in a facebook giveaway and that's why I was able to try it. Hugely disappointed but I guess it was a good thing because there's no way I would've been able to afford to continue taking them, luckily I didn't have a reason to.
roseroomnz
2 posts
Timely topic, I tried the Maybelline 24 Hour Superstay foundation again this morning and I still hate it on my skin. I got the same result as when I was trialling it, separating when it dries and looks like powdery chalk. So weird because it got rave reviews. 
Macs
5351 posts
Lush Rose Jam . I didn’t like the smokey rose scent ., But now I really like it .
shazatron101
5112 posts
considering how much of their dye i use this is a bit bizarre, but schwarzkopf are top of my "heck no" list. it doesnt matter what product (shampoo, conditioner, hair oil) i just can't use it and like it. so i've given up.
i do like the brights dyes though, and the hair spray so they have something going right there :P
tabucutie
1811 posts
I've never used supplements as I doubt any of them actually work. Though I would love one for hair. $269 wow, the beauty industry costs alot of money and therefore must make a lot of money as well.Atleast you didn't have to pay for it.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Tabucutie if you're after a simple, cheap and effective supplement for hair and nails I would suggest looking at a Biotin supplement.
    Biotin is in alot of these expensive beauty pills because it's been known to help with hair and nails but all honesty it's a pretty cheap supplement to produce. I buy mine from Vitacost where I can nab a bottle with 120 pills for under 10 bucks, but I do have to pay 10USD postage on that site so I would recommend checking out iherb. 

Taking Biotin doesn't stop my nails from splitting completely or make my hair grow to my knees or have it thick enough to make it look comparable to the leading female characters from Game of Thrones, but I will say that my nails have more strength (they have good weeks and bad weeks) and my hair looks really healthy. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
I will definitely keep that in mind. I'm looking to make my hair better though I'm not sure if it will / can be a hieved from the inside out or just by using better suited hair products.its a constant battle that one.
Koni
444 posts
By Terry Baume de Rose
Soap & Glory Sugar Crush Body Butter Cream
Natasha Denona Body Glow 
shazatron101
5112 posts
welp i really, REALLY hate to say this, but right now its the Schwarzkopf brights tangerine bloody twist.
how long have i been wanting it!? and it's just... UGH.
i've applied 4 boxes, 2 last night and 2 tonight, to only half of my head and EVERY TIME 90% of it washes out. god forbid i shampoo it like i did earlier today, because then it all comes out and i'm left with barely there creamsicle orange.

i am so unbelievably unimpressed and gutted that its behaving like this. i'm 90% sure it's not mine or my hairs fault, as the pink from the same brand is holding fantastically with minimal washout just from water. maybe its missing an ingredient but whatever it is i am NOT impressed, and i don't recommend it!
MareeB
5244 posts
Eeeee that sounds terrible Shaz!!
shazatron101
5112 posts
i'm not v pleased!! but there is a pic on the photo wall now so, you can all decide for yourselves :-)
trudijoy
8375 posts
it's nowhere near as vibrant as the pink is! Like it's pretty, but it's not the bright i think you were going for.

that pissed off look on your face says it all about how you feel!

it looks nice, fun, fresh, pretty - but def not like you just did the orange, really!
shazatron101
5112 posts
no it looks like i only wash half of my hair right? hahahahahahahaha
gosh. never mind. i'll waste some more money on something more expensive and see how i go i think.
i don't hate it, in fact i very much love my hair right now BUT the orange is definitely a massive let down considering how much success i have with the rest of the brights range!
trudijoy
8375 posts
Send them the pic and point that out, I reckon. Might get some freebies lol
shazatron101
5112 posts
oh i will, but i dont have much hope - last time i complained to them about a brown hair dye turning my hair black (it wasnt even a dark brown!?) they told me i had obviously applied it wrong. maybe their CS is better now! lol
MareeB
5244 posts
Erm..I quite like it Shaz - that colour really suits you!
shazatron101
5112 posts
Thanks Maree :-D i do like it but I'm disappointed its not holding or as vibrant as the box
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
It looks cool Shaz but I can see why you are disappointed. I too would get hold of the company. Considering how many boxes you used you would expect a bright colour
tabucutie
1811 posts
To use that much product and get those results I would be royally pissed off. You should definitely get a refund the product did not perform like it should have. The pink is so bright and the orange seems a bit faded. Your hair reminded me of the Paramore chick it looks cool.
shazatron101
5112 posts
thanks lisa :-D
i got a reply from Schwarzkopf this marnin' and theyre going to get their technical term to ring me to discuss further and assist me in getting the desired result... to me that reads as "you don't know what you're doing so its your fault let us list the ways in which it is..." but that's my opinion though, hopefully i am wrong!
and yes tabucutie! that's who i was inspired by :-) hayley williams has always been hair color inspiration:-D
trudijoy
8375 posts
@shaz you should send them a list of all your hair looks and be like.... i know my sh*t luv lol.

if there's a special technique for just their one then they made it wrong.....
tabucutie
1811 posts
Wow that's rude assuming you are the problem with application instead of ackonwledging that the product is inferior. Great guess from me!
shazatron101
5112 posts
lol it says on the pic it was her that was my inspo but if you didnt read that then yes! incredibly good guess :D

so i just had a phone call with a lovely woman from Aus, and well. im more confused than anything!
she said that i should try a cleansing shampoo before i dye my hair because theres obviously something left over in the hair. 
i countered "yes okay, but as you can clearly see in the pic i sent i had no trouble with the pink? so how can it be something left in my hair?"
then she said that the formulas were different. 
it was a lot of back and forth about shampooing and how it took so well to the roots and not anywhere else, so i don't know. 

however she is sending out some new ones so maybe they'll be better, maybe not. maybe i'll have to do another bleach bath to get it even lighter, but what is lighter than blondey white!? so it was a good conversation and i wasn't made to feel like it was my fault when it's literally their product vs their product lol. good outcome :-) 
MareeB
5244 posts
I hope the new ones work better for you Shaz x
shazatron101
5112 posts
so do i maree! but i dont think they will, i dont think whatever ingredients are in their orange are the same as the ones i usually use.
i can 'prove' this because i have recieved 2 different brands of orange dye and they both had very minimal color wash out, and they were both shampooed and the color is still there.
but now i can have my orange hair and shut up about it, i'm pretty sure i'm a broken record now!
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Shaz have you tried orange in directions brand?
shazatron101
5112 posts
i haven't! though i have tried the brand before and i didn't mind them!
thirtywinks
60 posts
Not sure if this counts but the Avene Thermal Spring Water. It just never worked on my skin. I've been using it on and off for many months now but never liked it really.

Also the Becca Champagne Pop Shimmering Skin Perfector. So many people swear by this product but I myself struggle with applying it on my skin. I've used different brushes but using my finger seems to be one that applies best. It doesn't show nicely on my skin and highlights my pores. I still have it though lol can't bring myself to throw it away.
tannygirl
3392 posts
    I actually want to try Champagne Pop one day. I used to not like Becca Opal till I got a brush that diffused the shimmer so it was more of a glow. I recommend trying a brush like the Sigma F37 Spotlight Duster. It's probably my fave hightling brush but if you don't like it for highlight it also is great for blush, bronzing and dusting away under-eye bakeage. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
so to my surprise, schwarzkopf rang again after i showed them their orange next to two different brands of orange, and as a gesture of good will they're sending me a color that does work for me!

its incredibly kind of them, i definitely wasn't expecting it and even said, no please don't worry about it, as i know i'll still continue to buy their dyes, just not the orange. but the lovely aussie lady strong armed me into it, so either way. not complaining and i'm incredibly grateful for their excellent customer service!

MrsLissy
301 posts
I never warmed up to Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara. The brush annoyed me and always had too much product on it. I used it for about six months when I needed to replace it and I was happy to chuck it to be honest.
Emma_L
2 posts
Pretty much every hair conditioner from L'Oreal... They all make my hair too greasy no matter how many times I rinse it.
tabucutie
1811 posts
@shazatron that's a good result.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!