Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Which Beauty Items Can You Always Justify Buying...Even Though You Know You Have Too Many.

52 posts, 15 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
    We all have some beauty products we can think rationally about whether we actually need another. With other beauty products the lines between want and need are extremely blurred even if we have a whole drawer full of unopened/opened items that takes us a long time to get through and are due to expire in the next month or two. Which products fall into the latter category for you?

For me in terms of skincare for a long time it was serums and then last year sheet masks. I bought sheet masks by the box. To be fair though I was using one every other night. Justification was that if it came close to expiry I'd adopt the Korean skincare routine of 1 a day and then in about 2 or 3 month everything would be used up.

For makeup it was brushes. I am a major brush collector, Real Techniques and Sigma are the brands I have the most brushes from but I do have a set of Zoeva ones, a couple of Wayne Goss brushes and one here and there from other brands.

My excuse was that I wouldn't get the most out of my expensive makeup if I didn't have good brushes, plus the same product can look different depending on the brush you use to apply it, plus I use ten or more to do a full face and I need to have back ups so I can always have clean brushes and brushes don't expire.

I was finally faced with how many brushes I collect when despite having everything very neatly organised into brush books I was about out of drawer space and it's not a small drawer. But I still want a few more Zoeva brush sets and there's a few RT brushes that my collection is missing....

So what are forever justifing just one more of?

SooziesWorld
2999 posts
For me, it's not so much certain products it's more likely to be a limited edition or great gwp that lures me in. Also if I am overseas and it's  something I can't easily access in NZ. So it's the fear of missing out on something that makes me justify more when I already have plenty. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
Nail Polish for me. I try to do different nails every week and unless I really like a nail polish I will only use it once and pass it on to  my sister and niece. Aside from that, I find it difficult to pass up a great bargain, that usually always gets me although I have a stacked box of unused products atm.
MareeB
5244 posts
Perfume! I'm trying not to buy any more until I've used what I've got because they go off after a few years
thirtywinks
60 posts
Definitely lipstick. I guess it's sort of similar to how @tannygirl is to her brushes. The lipstick is the last product you put on your face and that sort of decides the kind of look you really want for that day. A neutral eyeshadow look with bold red or nude lipsticks are opposite ends of the spectrum and you can go anywhere in between; A glossy lip and a matte lip are also two different things. There's so much variety! Plus I'm a sucker for good packaging and there are just so many different kinds of lipsticks in the market. Just recently I was eyeing lippies from Karen Murrell and 3CE.

@tannygirl on brushes: Same here! I've got mostly Real Techniques and Zoeva. I love Zoeva brushes. They're very affordable and quality is not bad.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Probably eyeshadows and lipsticks in a shade I don't have.
tannygirl
3392 posts
 @thirtywinks I used to be all about the lippies I think it was two year ago I collected and collected because I liked how it can change you're whole look. Plus I discovered nudes, plus found fuschia and different shades of red suited me not just plum and neutrals. Plus you apply lipstick more often than eyeshadow so easier to pan right? I think I still really love mini lipsticks though but I have more control in my lippy spending.

I bought my first Zoeva brush set earlier this year. I was lucky the set I had my eyes on was in stock when Sephora was doing their best gwp and so I got the Makeup Junkie box which incidentally had two mini lippies and my fave blush brush from Sigma. 

tannygirl
3392 posts
   @tabucutie I was super into nail polish a couple years ago. I really lusted after the nudes, pretty pinks, purples, nice greens and complementary blues. I had to stop when I realized I had polishes separating that I hadn't gotten around to using.
thirtywinks
60 posts
@tannygirl: Definitely! I think for cosmetics, I only ever finish lipsticks and eyebrow products/mascara. I'm trying to pan my eyeshadow and contour sets but I'm pretty sure I have a long way to go as I don't use these too often.

Btw, I think this is a stupid question but what does gwp mean? I see it around the forums often but don't really know what it means. haha
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
GWP is gift with purchase. My greatest weakness. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Used to be nail polish, now it’s lipstick. I love me some deluxe minis too; the minis bars at Mecca Maxima and Sephora always get me!
trudijoy
8375 posts
Ooh and undereye masks.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I only have one Zoeva brush soozie but I love it!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I don't have any Zoeva brushes, Trudi lol. Love me a minis bar too though! 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Haha! Misread names vs posts on my phone 
Macs
5351 posts
I’m with you Maree Im all about the perfume. I’m trying to stay away from lush . I have a lot of Lush Bath bombs .  
tabucutie
1811 posts
@tannygirl:  I try all shades, some surprise that I would never have considered wearing. Fair enough, there's no point in buying stuff you just won't use. And you save money too.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Oh yes gwp. There's times when I've spent more than I originally planned because I was a dollar short of getting the gwp. That being said I try to get only things I know I'll use rather than just the cheapest item available to meet the minimum threshold to qualify.
tannygirl
3392 posts
@trudi do you have any recommendations for undereye masks particularly wash off ones? I like to use a different mask around my eye area than the rest of my face particularly when it comes to clay and mud masks and especially peels.
tannygirl
3392 posts
@Maree I went through a perfume phase especially perfume minis so I could have a lot of scent options. I had to stop because fine fragrance is spensy and there were other things I was using up quicker and needed to replace.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Oh let's not forget free shipping! It's amazing how I can justify spending 50 bucks more to reach the threshold minium for free postage even if postage is only 4.5 or 5 dollars.
Koni
444 posts
Highlighters and limited edition lipsticks but I'm much better at shopping my stash now. I bought my first highlighter for the year in April so I'm proud of myself haha.
MareeB
5244 posts
I love minis too Tannygirl - good way to try lots of different fragrances.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Ohhh yes I have just started buying mini fragrances!
trudijoy
8375 posts
tannygirl as far as i know wash-off eye masks aren't a thing, sorry!

I LOVE the Sephora ones, they're like sheet masks but only just for your undereyes. I always stock up in store Mecca do an epic gel one as well. I came back from Hawaii with a handful each from Sephora and Forever 21.

SORT IT OUT NZ we need those stores here!
siouxsannah
261 posts
I am always wanting to buy more lipstick, even though I know I already have more than enough. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Spent forever in Mecca today, my gift card burning a hole in my pocket and determined to only buy something I 'need'. The two things I did have my eye on were sold out. I ended up getting a mini concealer. I haven't used concealer for ages as none of mine are quite right. So now I can get rid of those ones.  Maybe.  Lol. 

Even though I've got a stash of hand creams I also got one of the Soap and Glory mini ones. I like to keep those in the car as they have a flip top lid (I have a thing for applying hand cream when stuck at traffic lights). Even though there is one in the car already. But a different scent. 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Eye liner! I always think I've found my holy grail then I always go off it. Today I picked up 3 LA girl liners, 2 black and 1 purple. Had a wee play and must say I'm super impressed? They had a buy 2 get 1 free deal at life pharmacy.
tannygirl
3392 posts
    Makeup minis and sets. It's weird how I might not even be attracted to the fullsized one but put that shade into a miniature and suddenly I have to have it. It takes up less space and I tend to think I'm going to use it up quicker but in reality it competes alongside the minis that I had in my collection. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
shower gel. lotion. just about anything that says 'new' beauty or otherwise
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Those are easy to stock up on Shaz. You can find them quite reasonably priced for the size of the bottle if you know where to look and you do go through them quite quickly. Personally I know I have some bodycare stuff that's expired but I don't really care too much so long as it's not my sunscreen. Expired or not they still do the job of clean and moisturize quite well.
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
For me it would be a toss up between two things.  Lipsticks in mainly the Jeffree Star brand cause I can't get enough of the colours he has and because they feel the best on my lips without the drying.  The other would be brow products.  I am always on the hunt for the next big eyebrow product.  I have at least 25-30 lpsticks in Jeffree's brand and about 10-15 eyebrow products ranging from pencils to pomade.
thirtywinks
60 posts
@Shana - Me too! OMG I love Jeffree's liquid lippies. They take up half of my lipstick collection. Just yesterday I got myself the Calabasas liquid lipstick and I'm loving it. Haha! I got one from Beauty Bliss at Newmarket. They're a bit overpriced (as usual) vs buying in the US but not too much so I went and got one. I agree with not being too drying on the lips. I love his formula.
trudijoy
8375 posts
i found the Jeffree Star formula awful and threw mine out in the end. I do love the colours though!
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I really like Jeffree Star lippies, they're pigmented, non-drying and the colors are gorgeous. Just one problem. I will randomly find the lipstick on different things throughout the day, not just the usually mugs and glasses but on my top, back of my hands, book, phone, laptop one time. It always somehow creeps it's way up my face between my cheek and nose, like it's got a mind of it's own but I won't know when until I look in the mirror and it also likes my teeth too.     
    Now I would excuse this if most lipsticks did this but really this is the only brand of lipstick or at least liquid lipstick that likes to go places whenever I wear it. I'm looking for a dupes for Masochist and Hoe Hoe Hoe (Rich Blood) since those are such gorgeous shades.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Serums, oils, essential oils and warmer wax lol. Can't get enough of it.
trudijoy
8375 posts
that's what does my head in with them tannygirl - the formula is so thin it almost drips, it goes everywhere, bleeds like mad, transfers all over the show and are expensive for what they are.

I'll happily stick to my KVD, UD, Mellow and Maybelline!
thirtywinks
60 posts
@tannygirl: LOL that's hilarious. I do get your point though. When I wear JS it's not super drying, which is good for my lips but bad for eating and drinking. I see this more often for specific shades like Designer Blood and Santa Baby, so I'm extra careful when I'm sporting their bolder shades. The lighter ones seem a little bit more 'secure' in this aspect (Rose Matter, Doll Parts, and other nude shades). 

For getting it on the teeth, it also happens with my liquid lippies (like the Kat Von D liquid lipstick). I think I apply too much on the inner lip so I eventually had to learn to apply up to the area where it doesn't show from the outside and doesn't transfer to my teeth. It also helps a lot to get it its most dry state before eating/drinking/talking too much. 

shazatron101
5112 posts
i never had issues with JS until i got Scorpio. any i bought after that i found were watery and thin but "he totally didn't change the forumla guiz~!".
i emailed his customer service team about Scorpio as well because mine smells like cat wee - they told me to watch his youtube videos for tips. TIPS!!!! how in the h-e-double-hockey-sticks does that pertain to it SMELLING like CAT WEE. what kind of window lickers do they think their customers are? good grief

so long story short, i haven't bought any more of his lipsticks lol
siouxsannah
261 posts
Ooooh @Shana & @Thirtywinks I love Jeffree Star's lipstick too. I have not had a problem with his formaula so far, though it does wear off in the inner corners of my mouth when I eat and drink. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
     I really like my Lime Crime lippies though I only have two of the liquid ones, Wicked and Utopia. 

@Shaz, that's a really weird way for customer servie to  handle an issue, "Watch the video on how to apply the stinky lippy." lol
tannygirl
3392 posts
    One thing that hits me from time to time is palette heart eyes followed by palette fever where I waaant more palettes, especially eyeshadow palettes and I have to really talk myself out of them. I know that once I acquire a new palette another one will scintillate and sing to me online till I buy it and then it sit in my organized but crowded drawer and compete with all my other palettes. 

I was getting under control but somehow through sales and Youtube videos five palettes have found their way into my drawer and one more in the mail. And we're only in May that's more than one palette a month. I did give away two palettes and the freebie one I got in one of my orders because I knew with all the other palettes I wanted I barely use it. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
I have 3 pallettes and I thought that was a bit much. Especially as I tend to only use the same colours it's a bit of a waste. Some colours are just better than others.

I apply my makeup at work and use a different palette each week, it's good I get to cycle through them and actually use all of them.

I'd like to buy a new palette, particularly the Shaaanxo remix palette but I can't justify it.
trudijoy
8375 posts
i almost never use all the colours in palettes, so I've mostly stopped buying them. I have a few i LOVE and use though:

- KVD Metal Matte - really really really strong colours, love it
- UD x Kristen Leanne Kaleidoscope Dream - FAVE
- Chichi Smokey - great for evening
- UD SHadowbox - nearly panned, has been a staple though
- Stila In the Moment - was given this and it's so pretty, all purpley and lovely
- Zoeva Cocoa Blend - don't use this as much, don't do these colours often, but smells lovely and looks nice

I think the thing i used to over-buy was nail polishes, now it's def minis, eye masks and lip balm
tannygirl
3392 posts
    I tried to mostly collect face palettes. I have 6 face palettes and as of last night 8 eyeshadow palettes and 1 all in one palette with eyeshadows, bronzer, blush and highlighter. Although four of these palettes are more like duos, trios and quads.

Julieal
915 posts
With me it's masks -i love the way my skin feels after I have used them and I keep seeing more I want to try. -I have a drawer full
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I went through a mask stage last year as well where I was collecting so many masks- mud, clay, exfoliating masks with acids, moisturizing ones, overnight and especially sheet masks. It got to the point where it was the norm for me to use 4-5 different masks every other night. Currently using up some of the masks I collected. 
thirtywinks
60 posts
@shazatron101: Yikes that's horrible. I've seen videos of some bad batches of JS liquid lippies apparently. One time it smelled like rotten chemicals I think and their customer service didn't handle the case properly either. I think it was in the shade Androgyny? So far the ones I've gotten are okay (thankfully). If it smelled like cat wee it would never touch my lips! 
thirtywinks
60 posts
@tannygirl: 4-5 masks wow! I wish I had the same patience as you. Hahaha I would usually get sleepy after the first one. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
@thirtywinks oh I do get sleepy in the evening. I would doze off in between masks then wake myself up and go rinse them off and put on the next one. lol I would never dose off with a peel on my face though.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!