Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

What's everyone's favourite fake tan?

32 posts, 24 members
Kellyleanne
551 posts
Now that summers heading our way just wanted to know what everyone's favourite fake self tanner is? 

I've used so many in the past, with Model Co, Sugar Baby and Loreal being some of my favourites.

But I've really become conscious of what I put on my skin in the last year or so (since being pregnant and wondering what chemicals are absorbed through our skin) I've just gone ahead and brought an organic fake tan with natural ingredients, so hopefully it will be a great colour and look natural, will see! 
hughes_dre
229 posts
I've got the Sugar Baby mousse, and I find that really good.  But let us know what your new purchase turns out like!  What brand is it?  Where did you get it?
skingeek
537 posts
Sugar baby flossy glossy. Instant gold shimmer in a can, let dry and you have a stunning tan in a few hours.
**Not recommend if you're not into the shimmery look! It's VERY glittery.
LisaE5
447 posts
I have only tried 2: - Johnsons Holiday Tan - Nivea Fake Tan.
I personally like the Johnsons one better as the Nivea had a funny smell and kind of went on streaky.

Cat
474 posts
I'm using million dollar tan (the spray) it's very natural looking and fades nicely (doesn't go patchy) blends in easy and dries down quick. I've not had any problem with it rubbing off on my sheets etc after applying. Doesn't smell bad either. I've never really used fake tan much so I'm an amateur at applying but I've had no problem with this. I remember years back I tried some l'oreal spray (aerosol) an it was horrendous! Patchy on my ankles and stained my toe nails lol since then I'd only used those gradual moisturisers from dove to maintain a natural tan.
Lenore
6 posts
Sugar baby foam! Easy to apply, lasts well, no streaks, good price and great colour. I've used a few different ones and this is my current favourite. 
Nat_FH
32 posts
Dove summer glow moisturiser with self tanner built in! Not too sure if that counts as a fake tan in itself cause it's primarily a moisturiser but I love it :)   It leaves skin really nice and soft as well as giving them a nice natural tanned look.  Its got a nice consistancy and I find my skin aborbs it a lot better than some moisturisers I've tried too!  xx
xjayloux
900 posts
I have used a lot and i cannot sing Le Tan's praises enough.

The gel tanner is basically fool proof, i used it the day before Rihanna and woke up with a flawless bronzed tan, no streaks or orangeyness at all and my legs are lily white! This stuff is nice and long lasting too, lasted about 5-6 days on me without moisturizing or topping it up and wore off nice and evenly after that.

I also am a huge fan of their daily moisturizer/gradual tanner, that stuff is amaze balls!
Heather
79 posts
I've only tried one fake tan in my life, and it was a gradual moisturiser one when I was much younger. It turned me BRIGHT orange and I haven't had the guts to try another one. I've heard so many good things about the St. Moriz tanning mouse though from some of my friends, and I know it was being imported into the Warehouse for awhile (i'm not sure if it still is). 
Kellyleanne
551 posts
The self tan I got was from a nz company called brown all year.. I tested this on my legs last night and I'm really happy with the colour, not orange at all. I may have put a tad too much on though as I have super brown legs now, like I've been to the tropics lol! 

The pack came with the instant tanning spray and a velvet glove- you spray some on the glove and then rub this over yourself. The normal cost is $23.50 for the spray and $13.50 for the glove but I downloaded their app and got both of them for $20 (including free delivery, which is a great price) -I brought this online http://www.brownallyear.com/lotions-and-potions.html#at_pco=tcb-1.0&at_tot=5&at_ab=-&at_pos=0

I'm also keen to try million dollar tan, I've heard good things about it. Cat,  where did you buy yours from? I see that ones got organic ingredients too

SiobhanM91
1 posts
Been using that St Moriz tanning mousse now for the past 2 weeks and I love. Purchased from the Warehouse after seeing a review on youtube. Its so cheap compared to other brands, $14-16 I think it was. Just make sure you wear gloves otherwise it takes forever to scrub off. 
belindaledwards
111 posts
I really like the trilogy one, also tried sugar baby and loved that one too.
ash0x
6 posts
I've used quite a few different ones (St Moritz, Sugar Baby, Le Tan, Loreal, Dove) but just recently I have found the most amazing fake tan hands down! It's called Bondi Sands and you can get it from Life Pharmacy for about $22 I think. I got the mouse, it glides on super easy with no fuss at all. You can see the colour right away and it only takes a few hours for it to devalop (so you don't have to wait the normal 6-8 hours before showering). It's a really natural tan colour, doesn't smell bad, doesn't dry out my skin, and doesn't come off patchy and it's really easy to layer it up. Definitely reccomend! Has anyone else tried this and what are their thoughts? :-) 
Kellyleanne
551 posts
Oh I haven't heard of that one Ash, sounds great! Will put that on my list to try 
abbey_m
20 posts
The Sugarbaby mousse one is pretty goof, but I reckon Bondi Sands is better (you have to get it online though I think) It doesn't smell bad, kinda like coconut, and it gives a really nice brown tan rather than an orangey one. 
Stay far far away from the Garnier one, that is a disaster waiting to happen! 
joey
1 posts
Just discovered Beauty Review and LOVE it! Came across this thread, you have all written extremly good reviews. I am a fake tan junkie so thought i should add my 2 cents. I am always on the look out for a new tanning product. 
Products I have used :
- Sugarbaby (all types)
These are fantastic, pretty much fool proof as long as you use a mitt. A little sticky, i wish they dried faster. Nice natural colour.
- Le Tan Mousse / spray
Good colour, again make sure you apply well. 
- Brown All Year bay spray
Amazing colour, dires really fast. Comes in a glass bottle which i dont like. Yeah great colour but really bad fade. Goes scaly. 
- St Moriz mousse (new purchase)
Now this has had SO much hype. I have been watching reviews on it for ages. Finally got a bottle. The guide colour is really odd, its dark grey / green. So not ideal to apply and run errands if need be. You'd look strange. But means it will never turn orange, which is perfect. A lot of the colour washes off the next day, i understand guide colours do that but i was a little dissapointed with what was left. 
- Model Co spray
This is fab is you are in a rush and need an instand tan. The guide colour is really brown. I noticed how red / pink it was after i used St Moriz. It is an actual fake tan, developes over night. An okay colour.
- Moroccan Tan mousse
This is amazing! Guide colour is really dark, much like Brown All Year. Its for experienced tanners. They make actually spray tan product, have a few self tanners as well. Colour is great. Dries really fast! 
- Fabulous Fake Tan spray 
Colour is good, natural. Smells very sweet. 
-  Dove gradual tanner
Great to use between tan applications. 
- Bondi Sands
This is good, much like sugarbaby. Natural colour.
- TanOrganic 
Okay colour, nothing speccial for the price.
- St Tropez mousse
Nice colour, easy application. The prie puts me off really, would rather get a spray tan or 2 or 3 .....
 If anyone reads this I hope it's been useful :) 

Mrs_rain85
437 posts
i usually go for model co, tan in a can....i find it just goes on nicely and its resonablely priced online.
Skye
9 posts
Bondi sands is the best I've tried so far. I have a lotion formula, I think it's more hydrating, and I always use a mitt to apply. but Im keen to try the loving tan ultra dark you can buy from there website (cheaper) or pagan Marie.com 
shazatron101
5112 posts
Reviving an old thread so I can get more answers! I'm on the hunt for a new tan, I've tried 2 that I like (ish). Sugar baby and Eco Tan. I'd love your suggestions ladies! 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Sugar Baby Sunbelievable Mousse has always been my must have, but recently I tried Sorbet (now called Ethique) Bombshell and I adore it.

Yesterday I picked up a temporary tan product from the Body Shop, called Honey Bronze. It's a spray on and rub in instant tan that washes off within a few showers but doesn't go orange, smell of chemical tanners, or require developing time.

I used to love Charlotte Island (Lush) and this is the first time I've found something that compares to it for instant temporary tan.

But yeah, at the moment my go to two would be the Bombshell and the Honey Bronze
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
My fave fake tan everrr is the St Tropez Instant Glow Body Lotion. It's essentially a one day only, wash off tan, but that's why I love it. You get instant, natural looking colour when you need it and it doesn't have that hideous fake tan smell.

For the occasional time where I can be bothered 'properly' fake tanning, I love the St Tropez bronzing gel for non-orange results, but it does have that hideous fake tan smell, and of course you have to let it develop. I have tried numerous brands, and still really want to try Loving Tan, but atm these are my favies.

I also love the Jbronze Instant Illuminser (also a lotion) for a healthy glow, for both when I'm my pasty self and when I'm tan. It adds a healthy, JLo glow to my otherwise glow-less body.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Thanks lovelies. I'm gunna see what the good ol red shed has today, and if its nothing (which I have a feeling it will be) then I will have to do some ordering online. I'm tempted by loving tan too but I don't want to pay $40 odd dollar. What if I don't even like it!?
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Exactly! But imagine if you love it, tehe. That's the risk we take every time we make a beauty purchase, haha. But I think with something like Loving Tan, it would be really easy to on-sell due to the hype around it. Good luck! St Moritz (which I think you can get from Warehouse) does a decent job!
shazatron101
5112 posts
Hahah yeah I suppose you have a point :P I'll just see what I can find today I think and go from there. I just hate having products I hate haha
Ringy
825 posts
I just use the Dove gradual tan- everything else streaks now a days- think my skin has just turned old and pastey- sob
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I love the st tropez dry oil. It also conditions my skin. You get it on beautylish. It's $50usd so a bit pricy
Macs
5351 posts
Last summer I tried tan on my legs and my partner was shocked that I would use it. I tried Le tan spray. But would love to try st tropez.
Julieal
915 posts
Dove summer glow does it for me -It keeps your skin moisterised  and doesn't colour too much for early summer.
Ringy
825 posts
I've been thinking about fake tan all day now- I'm invited to my husbands work special do and I was trying on dresses but my legs look so bad!! Might have to wear....pantyhose! I used to get spray tans in one of those automated booths but I'm not sure there is one here in Dunedin! Might have to practice with a few of the suggested tans here.
shazatron101
5112 posts
I ended up getting this one, so we will see how we go! I don't think its on BR yet so I couldn't look at reviews (correct me if I'm wrong, plz) but yay! haha I hope to Zeus it works :P
Julieal
915 posts
Good Luck -so many choices out there now
lisaflow
9 posts
I had Bondi Sands liquid dry oil once. The result was even better than I expected

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!