Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

What were your starter products?

21 posts, 12 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
When you first started intentionally putting on makeup/beauty products to wear in public (ie not the little kid experiments as such) where did you start?

i really didn't wear any as a teen in school but I focused on tanning moisturiser, mascara, black eyeliner and lipgloss for the large part of my late teens and early 20s. I'd add some body glitter for the clubs (god bless the 90s) and body spray in lieu of proper perfume.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I had terrible skin so would pack on the foundation, oh god it was not a good look. I also did thick black eyeliner with lashings of mascara. Really overplucked brows too! Oh how I cringe at the thought of it! Now I like to look more natural, my skin is a million times better. My brows I have managed to grow back a little thank goodness.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Haha my brows are still in recovery from overzealous threading last decade.

i think I was scared of makeup initially 
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Lip gloss, eyeliner and face powder were my three go to’s in the beginning and I’ve always loved eyeshadow. These days I prefer lipstick to lip gloss but as a teen lip gloss suited me better and I must have been a lot more tolerant of how sticky lip gloss can be.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Started around 16. Caked on pressed powder foundation in the wrong shade (there wasn't a wide shade selection just three shades to choose from and I didn't know any better), black eyeliner (first pencil, then retractible Maybelline), occasionally mascara (everything smudged), neutral eyeshadows (applied just on the movable part of the lid, always wondered why my makeup disappeared when I opened my eyes, also scared of color as everything would crease in about half an hour) and a dark lipstick, red lipstick or neutral lipstick, rarely wore gloss as it was too sticky. Didn't do brows or wear concealer, would just cake more powder foundation on the zits. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
    For skincare just a foaming cleanser. Thank goodness I always removed my makeup (though I didn't know about double cleansing at the time) before going to bed. In my teens I applied a bit of eye cream around my eyes even though I didn't moisturize the rest of my face and then in my late teens I got into applying spf before leaving the house. I also did the occasional DIY or cheap bought too drying clay face mask, trying to clear up my pimples. 
tabucutie
1811 posts
When I started I was basic. Macara, lipgloss or lipstick, one colour application of eyeshadow and black eyeliner. I've always been way more interested in skincare and had a routine since I was 10. Skincare is still a massive part of my life and my makeup application has really improved this year. I'm stoked with where I am at.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Ah the 'thin Lizzy on the face, johnsons  holiday skin 'tanned' legs' phase lol....

oops 
MissDilly
229 posts
My first makeup was face powder that was completely the wrong shade, so I was an oompa loompa...  Thin Lizzy everywhere, was a favourite in my 20's....
SmileyPisces
253 posts
I started out with pressed powder. Probably like most starters, had no idea about matching tones. My face was probably more orange than my neck, as all i cared at the time was to cover my few freckles and facial hair hahahahaha. I always had to finish off with either a shimmery lip conditioner or a nice lip gloss. I adored my skin so much back then. Nowadays pressed powers will probably be too dry for my skin. 
Helibabi
101 posts
Haha omg I feel like there’s been so many! I think my firsts were foundation to cover my pimples and I would totally nick my mums so it probably didn’t colour match, then mum roll on and impulse body sprays were my cheapskate makeshift perfumes in my teens I wanted to smell nice not teen like. 
Then yessssssss the holiday skin I remember trying to hunt that down. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Haha I was maybe 15 or 16 when the spice girls impulse (?) came out.

it was not as great as I thought ....
trudijoy
8375 posts
And alllllllllll the lip smackers lip balms!
trudijoy
8375 posts
I haven't tried one for years now.... might have to ;) 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Mine was Johnson 5.5 body lotion. Only thing that enabled me to tan for some reason.

I also remember Spice Girls ImpulseImpulse Trudi, I loved it he he he.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Yes I loved Lip Smackers too! Another horrible phase for me was putting Sun-in over my dark hair....omg why would I do that. It turned the worst shade of orange.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I used to buy Dolly and Girlfriend magazines and remember those came with a lot of freebies that were quite good. My first ever mascara was from a Dolly mag :-)
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I absolutely used to love Dolly magazine!!!
Susilia
484 posts
I’ve started with foundation, because I’ve had terrible teenage acne, I used to cake my face so much you couldn’t see my actual skin anymore, I must’ve looked amazing, lol! :D
Also used eyeliner under the bottom lashes but no mascara at all, what was wrong with me back then??? 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yes yes yes! 

there was another music one too but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. 

I learned more from dolly and girlfriend than I did from a lot of sources.

and then growing up and being old enough to move on to Cleo was an absolute MOOD
EliseMM
120 posts
EYELINER. A single stroke of black eyeliner under my lower lashes. I was totally emo haha. 

Then there were the Chi Chi fragrances with shimmer in them. 

Next came Dove's gradual tanning moisturiser. 

I would always wander around Farmers looking at all the pretty things that I didn't know how to use, and couldn't afford. It must have really annoyed the lovely ladies working there!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!