Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

What Product Works for Others but Not for You?

40 posts, 15 members
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Trudi and I were just talking before about products that work wonders for some but not for others. I thought it would be interesting to see what products people rave about that others can't understand.

I think the brand that stands out for me would be Mac. I've never really understood the hype. Tried a few things but didnt get the results others did.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Ooh good idea threading it! 

I mentioned Better Than Sex mascara already, but other stuff I can't understand the hype over includes: 

- MAC strobe cream 
- shampoo bars (make my hair SO much greasier) 
- the Mecca brand facial sunscreen (worst breakout everrrr) 

I'll think of others too lol

SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I'm still trying to work out what Mac Strobe cream is actually for lol. 

Glam Glow is a no from me. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Idk what it's for but it looks and feels so oily and gross on my skinnnnn

glamglow I LOVE a few of the products but the mask burned my face off
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Yeap. Any clay mask is no from me. 

Any skincare that has glitter in it. Whhhhhhhyyyyyyyy? Glitter is not a skincare ingredient. 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Lol I second the glitter thing! Totally hate it.
The Rimmel Radiance Foundation made my face look like a glitter ball!
trudijoy
8375 posts
Ah yeah clay is another no go for me. Ethique ruined their In Your Face cleanser, which used to be my holy grail, by adding kaolin clay to it. 

amazed you've not mentioned micellar water soozie!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Trilogy Vitamin C facial mist made my face feel tight which is the opposite of what a must should do. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Glitter SKINCARE? Odd
trudijoy
8375 posts
Oh talking of trilogy their cleansing balm refuses to emulsify off my face and leaves  a layer of oil, but it's so popular! 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Yeap Too Faced have a line with glitter in. I think Glam Glow might be guilty of this too. Other pet peeves: brands who give products sexualised names. Ugh. 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I remember getting the Too Faced Peach Perfect foundation and having to send it back because I hated the smell! Would love to smell it again to see if it was just a bad one!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Yeah you need a cloth to get that cleanser off and I don't like the one it came with. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
La Mer face cream (I've only used samples would never buy it). I'm convinced it's actually Nivea. Even smells like it to me. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
i reckon that was definitely a bad one Lisa - i LOVE that foundation <3 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Coffee scrubs of any kind. Toooooooo messy. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Clinique 3 Step. Feel the buuuuuuurrrrrrrnnnnn. 

ok I should probably start compiling a list and then put them all in one post lol. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
we're both getting a bit spammy lol soozie, oops.  

Great topic though!
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Haha definitely a great topic idea.

Agree coffee scrubs are messy, and I was actually thinking the same thing about MAC yesterday. Years ago I was hanging out to try MAC but now that I've got a bunch of their stuff, it's nice. But apart from maybe their powder and lipstick I wouldn't bother with the price tag of many of their other products again. (I say that now, but when something shiny and new comes out I'll probably be all working over it again).
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Haha as soon as I post something I think of another one. 

I think the thing about Mac is that when it first came out in the late 90s, there really wasn't another brand like it, the others were really traditional brands. But lots of brands that have come out since have kinda surpassed them now. At one point I only used Mac as it was the only brand of eyeshadow that didn't give me eczema. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Ha ha ha you lovelies have been busy lol.

I love GlamGlow peel off masks, they are my holy grail. Their other masks that have a clay type base unfortunately dry out my skin. This is the same with most products with clay. They really give a good clean out but the tight feeling they leave behind can be really intolerable.

Used to love all products with glitter in until it was time to remove them, learnt pretty quickly that it's hard to remove especially nail polish.

I do love shimmer lip products though especially the essence - my absolute favourite and their price is insanely affordable. Might stock up just in case they discontinue them like they did my ZA CC cream. 

RamblingRose
1280 posts
- Any product with menthol in it (face, hair or body)
- Bobbi Brown Gel Ink eyeliners (they make my eyes very red and weepy)
- Trilogy Make-up Be Gone Cleasing Balm
- Body Shop Chamomile Oil cleanser
- All coffee scrubs (I hate the oily residue)
- All solid body butter blocks (it feels like I'm literally rubbing a greasy stick of real butter on my skin)
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I'm totally the opposite when it comes to coffee scrubs by the sounds of it.

Yes they are definitely messy but omg the feeling of my skin after I've used one is incredible. I make my own using good quality coffee grounds, coconut oil, sugar and a few drops of my favourite essential oil- usually wild orange. Even hubby loves it and complains when we run out ha ha ha.
shazatron101
5112 posts
I agree with glitter in things, a frank body scrub i got had it in there and it was awful - and the snell was pretty rank too

mario badescu anything, not that it doesn't work for me but i dont get the hype i guess, same with mac

SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Oh Silvene, that reminds me of my worst product ever! 

Heimish All Clean Balm. Has a cult following but my eyes had a severe allergic reaction to it (think it was the eucalyptus in it) and my eyes are still super sensitive nearly two years later. 
AboutFace
413 posts
Only good shampoo bar left my hair dry and felt like it was coated with dirt or something, I just wanted to wash my hair again using shampoo. Any body wash with coffee, while I enjoy a good cuppa I can't stand the smell on me. Essence lash princess mascara, it just flaked straight away. While you may get what you pay for in some products, most of the time they're hyped up and are overpriced. It pays to shop around. I love the finish of EL doublewear on others, me it just doesn't work.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Only products from Mario Badescue I like are the spray mist toners. Love them especially in summer as I store them in the fridge and they are so refreshin on a hot day. The lavender is so nice as it is so soothing. 

The other products have not wowed me. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I feel the same about Mario Bedascu. Sprays are ok but haven't liked anything else. One if their cleansers the main ingredient is SLS! Nope. 
MissDilly
229 posts
Ethique beauty bars - all of them.  I'm yet to find any that like my skin or hair yet so many rave about them.Natural deodorants - tried so many, none work.  Charcoal toothpaste/powder - no thanks - messy and you have to be so sure you scrub and rinse well or you'll scare the kids and general public. But, I love love love sugar and coffee scrubs - particularly Skinfood and Franks, my favourites  - even the glitter smelly one haha, I really liked the shimmer during summertime.
Kat555
143 posts
Oh I'm a little the same about the Ethique bars. I absolutely love the idea but unfortunately my hair does not like them. I think it sort of strips my colour out. Not sure about all the other bars. I still want to try them. I hate going through all these plastic containers so I'm hoping this kind of packaging can only get better as more companies get on board!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Interesting as I love the Ethique bars and don't think they strip my colour, unlike the Lush ones which I hate. I find I wash my hair less with the Ethique too. I do have short hair though so that might help. 
Nicola_yeah
15 posts
EL Double wear!!  Like if I try REALLY hard I can get it looking nice but goes gross after a few hours. I wish it worked for me!

that's all I can think of,  unless Laser hair removal is a product haha
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Yes the Revlon Colorstay is super duper cakey on me too! I just couldn't get it to work.
JackieMackenzie
341 posts
Awesome topic! I hated the Loreal Lash paradise, was so dry and underwhelming. I really didn't like the NYX angel veil primer. Dislike anything from Mario Badescu. The By Terry Hyaluronic powder is raved about but not for me. The Revolution Sophiex highlight palette ... Pretty colours but find it streaky and too unnatural. The Elf camo concealer was awful. Ole Henriksen Banana Bright primer doesn't do it for me either. I'm sure there's tonnes more too!
Macs
5351 posts
I agree with you ladies . I used to love coffee scrubs especially the one by The Bon Bon Factory . Then I tried the Frank Body scrub after it and realised how much I disliked the mess it left behind for me . 

Only thing I purchased from Mac was the foundation and lipsticks . Mac liquid Matte lipstick was disappointing. I'd prefer the ones recommended by br . Nothing else appealed to me from them . I was gifted a Mac blush from Koni years ago . I love it for my transition eye shadow. I keep reaching for it years later . 
Kat555
143 posts
So interesting hearing about peoples different experiences. Maybe I need to try some different Ethique bars and see if they are any different. I really want to like them because I really love the concept! I wonder if there are any other beauty products that use the same concept by avoiding a lot of plastic waste. Maybe cosmetics?
tabucutie
1811 posts
Have to agree with coffeescrubs being messy. Sometimes I feel like more is getting in  the shower instead of on me. However they have grown on me and I like them as an exfoliating option. Definitely prefer scrubs with a creamier component as they are easier to use and less wasteful.
MareeB
5244 posts
I agree, Coffee scrubs and sugar scrubs are not really for me.
MareeB
5244 posts
Mumofthree I tried to outline using magnesium oil on your hair under the hair care article. The system got a bit excited and double and triple posted. Im sorry, I hope you can figure out what I was trying to say.
Sorry to add this random post to this thread as well!
RamblingRose
1280 posts
@Kat555, have a look in the Shop Local forum thread - I linked a company in one of my posts there that does various solid bar products (I'm currently using one of their shampoo bars). 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!