Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

what pays for your makeup?

42 posts, 31 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
(ie what do you do for a living? :p)

Interested to see how many lines of work we all come from!

I'm a middle school (10-15 year olds) Japanese teacher.  I also teach a bit of German, a bit of Tourism, Japanese Culture incl Origami, a bit of remedial English, the odd bit of ESOL and have a couple of managerial roles :)
Ngahew
152 posts
I run a small beauty therapy business but I am also in my 2nd year into a degree in Social Work... :-)
Rezee
1964 posts
My partner! Im a sahm mum. Well I do get vouchers from online surveys and usually use them to buy makeup too so does that count lol
chikoboo
3402 posts
I pay for my makeup =) I'm a civil contract administrator/office manager I deal in a man's world and have fought to get man wage lol   I deal with all the paperwork, contracts, data entry, finances for 4 divisions, amongst other things
trudijoy
8375 posts
I suddenly have Destiny's child 'independent women' in my head ;)

Chikoboo I pay for mine too, it was more of a frail connection to beauty hehe

Your job sounds intense!
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
Oh good thread this will be great reading 
farmer :) 
retail assistant 
heavy machinery owner 
funny combo I know heals to steal caps to gumboots 

So I pay for my own

Cat
474 posts
I'm a loud and proud dairy farmer. I currently milk 280 cows, everyday, 7 days a week, 10 months of the year. I work with my fiancé, but am financially independent and like to keep it that way (so I can buy all the lipsticks my little heart could want) 

I had a little stint in admin/retail a few years ago but I missed all my overgrown fur babies so chucked the gumboots back on. I love the fresh air and active life.
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Oh that's cool you teach origami Trudi. I tried to make 1000 paper cranes and gave up after 15 haha.

I work as production tech in a sports tv role. So basically I control all aspects of cameras except for the camera itself (shutter speed, colour balancing etc). I also do a little bit of sound production but my main role is with cameras.

I pay for all of my makeup - except for the things I have received as gifts :)
trudijoy
8375 posts
we're doing the Sadako (Cranes for Peace) project again this year Jessicka - last time I did it with the kids they made over 3500 of the blo*dy things lol.

It's such a good message for kids about resilience and fighting until the end

STUNNING new pic btw
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
I look after my baby brother fulltime and get paid for it while my Dad and step mother work.
trudijoy
8375 posts
cuuuuute WMUA
nemesisroxx
506 posts
I work at my whanau business with my Step Grandad (He and my nan own it), also work with my mum and dad. It is a funeral home. I'm the receptionist. I also make and sell invites/posters/images. These arnt my dream jobs though, I'm not actually sure what I want to do with my life yet.
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Trudi daaaaayumn that's a lot of cranes! Lol. Thank you :)

crystalmaria - sorry if this sounds creepy but working in a funeral home is something I have wanted to do for my whole life - as an embalmer. That's cool you work in a family environment :)

Cat I love seeing pics of the calves on your IG. They're such gorgeous animals. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yep I was crazy sick of the sight of them.  The worst I've ever done was I had about two days (in between teaching classes) to fold one each for our two incoming Y7 classes (about 50 kids) and they had to be perfect so I had to do them myself.  I actually had red fingertips by the end and finger cramps :S
accidentprone_x
845 posts
I pay for my makeup myself and I'm an operator at fonterra. my partner has stopped asking me what I get in the mail because I get quite a lot now.
nemesisroxx
506 posts
=13pxLOL Jess! Not creepy at all!! We have a LOT of people asking to volunteer with us! I used to want to do embalming myself BUT... I can't handle the smell of blood!! That iron, rust smell makes me gag every time I smell it... something that is NOT becoming of an embalmer LOL! I love working for my family... even though they drive me crazy at times lol! I get a lot of perks that I would never get at any other job.
1139 posts
I'm a full time student so I only work part time which barely pays for makeup ;) but I'm pretty good at saving when I do really want something, and now that I've got a collection I'm happy with, I'm on a no spend. Any makeup I do occasionally get comes from very kind friends. :) 
Kellie
570 posts
I'm a sahm, and my lovely husband shares his wage with me - I spend my share on coffee and icecreams, ha.
I also have a wee communications business, doing newsletters/ads/facebook admin - that usually provides my makeup money, but is currently going towards a family holiday.
I'm looking at adding a retail job into the mix - fingers crossed that happens!
But my ultimate dream is for a publisher to one day love my romance novels so much that they take a chance on me, and then THAT will become my makeup money. Ahhhh, dreams are free - if only makeup was too... :)
ChristieMJ
358 posts
Cool thread! I've always wondered this too :)

I pay for my own makeup, I'm an after hours emergency vet tech i.e I look after critically sick/injured cats and dogs! Soon to be living on a dairy farm with my partner too so will be part time milking/calf rearing as well :) absolutely love what I do, couldn't think of anything I'd rather be!
Mila
1209 posts
I pay for my own makeup well both me and my partner do I guess we have joint finances but we both earn incomes but yeah I work in admin im a sales adminstrator/EA for a large company until later this year when I will be a sahm and being on a more permanent no spend eek
MicheleC
419 posts
I pay for my makeup. My husband likes wine and reads too fast so needs lots of books. Ultimately he consumes for than I do on balance.

I'm the Managing Director of our business. We are associated with the construction industry.

I get to wear the bossy pants!!
SandyGedge
394 posts
I'm really enjoying reading this thread and getting to know you all more :-) I was actually studying to become a Midwife. Some people told me that I was crazy but for the most part, I had tremendous support but unfortunately the science theory got the better of me (I always sucked at science) and I ended up leaving which broke my heart! I've been working for the past year as a retail assistant but will be going on maternity leave shortly which still feels surreal to me considering that we were told 8 years ago that no more kiddies were going to happen for us due to my screwed up uterus! so in just over 3 months time, we'll have a 12yr girl, 9yr boy, 8yr girl and a baby girl ;-) I'll definitely be on a no spend then hahaha
kayxcake
422 posts
I pay for my own makeup as well ^^ and I often gets asked if I was sent all those makeup for free... hahha no I wish! All came from hard earned money!

I am a receptionist at a law firm, just the general reception works and sometimes I am everyone's assistant when it gets busy.
trudijoy
8375 posts
just a note - it was 'what pays for your makeup' as in' what's your job' not WHO pays for it haha - I know we're all paying our own ways :)

the ladies who said they're SAHM's and their partner pays - you're still earning that! ;) 
Macs
5351 posts
I used to sell random items at markets and Facebook groups. I haven't done this in a while though. Other than that just Working for familes Tax Credits. Other times my partner gives me money, im a sahm .I never borrow, loan or credit card it. If I don't have the money I won't buy it.
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
My wage from being a SAHM pays for mine ... oh wait ... lol
-Bex-
611 posts
I too am a dairy farmer! Weeeeelll not much at the moment just doing the paperwork side and odd bits. Bring on calving and mating July til December of pure chaos but still have the paperwork to tackle but love the physical side much more. I think it is great to see so many ladies that work in such male dominated workplaces. 

Cat- your farm sounds like a dream 280 cows. I love farms like that where you know each cow and usually they are known by a name rather than a number 
Koni
444 posts
Quite an interesting mix especially those with more than one hat! I'm a Support Analyst for a dairy company.
MillXhodia
136 posts
Full time office worker here so I get to have pretty nails which is a major for me.

My husband and I have also started our own Graphic Design and Illustration business too. So with that and a 4 year old I can say im pretty busy.

Still waiting for the day I win lotto haha.
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
bexb and cat I'm ex dairy farmer :) just sheep and cows on the farm now  and the odd possum  xx 
shazatron101
5112 posts
I work for LIC as an AB Tech Assist, which basically means I help the technician load up straws and he inseminates the cowsies and we make the calves for spring! It's seasonal but its so much fun, farmers are the best kind of people. I love my job!
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
I have three hats......I work part time for my brothers building company as his office manager and part time on the farm with my husband calf rearing and then when all that is said and done I am a mama.  I buy my own makeup with my part time job but if its something expensive hubby will buy it for me.
-Bex-
611 posts
that sounds like us Magpiefi we want to get into sheep and beef or beef and grazing soon much more enjoyable.

shazatron- we love the techs and tech assistants ours make us laugh and have a good yarn it's so good I think we were all so exhausted this year it made it a wee bit more bearable having a good laugh with the techs and assistants. Can't wait til October and it starts all over again. Even 6 weeks straight of 4am starts is so worth it. 
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
Trudijoy, love your point about SAHM's... you are all earning a wage worthy of endless makeup and foot rubs! I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I am in my fourth year of study and will be qualified to teach English, Media Studies and Social Studies at secondary level by the end of this year. I have worked in pharmacy full time for the past few years, as I would rather study each evening and have lots of makeup :P This year I have placements but work in pharmacy in between xx 
Rania-alani90
106 posts
I work for education New Zealand so we take care of international marketing and promoting NZ! Which means I get a salary to fund for my makeup obsession ????
shazatron101
5112 posts
Hahah yay us Bex!! I too can't wait for October - the pay is shite for assistants but I just love what I do too much to stop. My tech talks me up so much to everyone who will listen - it never fails to put a smile on my face haha :-D
sam_clarkson
205 posts
I am  a vet nurse so in it for the love of the job rather than the pay heheh so while ido pay for all my makeup myself I havn't yet been able to splurge on super high end stuff- One day tho, one day
kirstyj
1732 posts
I work for a bank, I do lending etc for businesses. Which is really fun! It pays for my beauty stuff hobby which is great. My partner and I put in a certain amount each into the 'flat account' (even though we have a house together we call it that because we feel too young to have a 'joint account') and then the rest is for whatever personal stuff you want. It works well for us because he doesn't have to explain his computer/gaming purchases to me and I don't explain the makeup to him :P
1139 posts
haha Kirsty I love that you call it a flat account, that's so funny!
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Ummmm hubby pays for it as we are only the one wage due to me fulltime studying lol.  I handle the house budget so hubby is like as long as the bills are paid all goods lol, well to a certain degree anyway.  I am also the Treasurer for the NorthTec student association so we raise funds to help student life and just basically make them want to study and able to enjoy some events and have a break for an hour or two.  We did a St Patricks Day theme not that long ago and got everyone to dress up green, was lots of fun and we raised money.  I also volunteer for the Red Cross and like to do fundraising for not-for-profit organisations like the SPCA.  At the moment they are heading towards closure here in Whangarei so have been selling raffle tickets to keep them open.  So sad as they are amazing and I took two home to be my forever babies.  I have also signed a contract to be an Accountant with a new business, so hopefully I will be able to pay for my own makeup. 

I also fund my makeup by selling my products that I'm not a huge fan of or didn't work for me or I was sensitive too lol xx
We are from all walks of life but have many things in common.  And Beauty Review brings us all together. x

I work in Local Government and have staff across three offices  :-)
Chaotic82
522 posts
I'm a SAHM, but I try to bring in bits and pieces how I can to support my make up obsession.  I'm a preschool teaching normally.  But since I've been at home I have worked in a food van, sold eco bottles, cards, pet food, and now I am a consultant for a business new to NZ and look after my friends gorgeous little boy on a Thursday. Anything to keep a little bit of sanity money trickling in :)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!