Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

What do you gravitate towards when choosing a product?

13 posts, 12 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
If you don't know much about how it will work for you, what other factors make your mind up when you're considering a purchase?

I tend to gravitate towards cute packaging, with a preference for pink, black, silver or flowers, or products that are in the pink/purple spectrum. Scent wise, vanilla, caramel, chocolate or tropical scents like mango, frangipani, coconut will get me most times.

Value for money is also a fleeting factor but impulse purchasing is a strong habit with me hehe
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Interesting thread. I gravitate towards primers, exfoliants, brightening products, taupey mink shimmery eyeshadows, classic simple packaging, and citrus scents. I also tend to only make impulse purchases within brands I am already familiar with.

tannygirl
3392 posts
 When it comes to skincare I definitely gravitate towards natural ingredients, actually gravitate towards that in most things a fair bit. When it comes to makeup I gravitate towards natural ingredients, good brands that I know like Eye of Horus, Bobbi Brown, Hourglass, alright I guess I have expensive tastes.
   For things like dark, bright or red lippy I tend to buy what I know will be longer lasting or completely natural. The same with eyeliner I buy Eye of Horus because it's long lasting and the same wtih eye shadow. With body care and hair care I gravitate towards ingredients or what I know to work for me.
  Overall I do love natural products or high end products or products that work really well for me. And gosh do I love a good bargain. A lot of what I have, actually almost all of what I have I bought on sale.
Packaging, definitely. I like pretty things, even more so if they're shiny. I'm an absolute magpie. 

I mostly go for things like skincare, powders and foundations over everything else. I shamelessly bought a Missha cushion foundation for myself the other day!

Scent wise, I like tuberose, gardenia, vanilla, carnation, incense and rose. I can't stand artificial rose though and it'll give me a massive headache. I also dislike it when tuberose and gardenia are in the same perfume. I want one or the other to stand out like in Fracas, not blend together.
MareeB
5241 posts
Packaging for me too. I've just ordered some new perfumes and can't wait to get the Marc Jacobs Dot - what an awesome bottle :)

I love Musky flavours, but also vanilla and anything citrus - and chocolate of course!
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I guess I have certain colours I like in products etc so I gravitate to those. When picking a scent I like a sexy fruity sensual smell, which is hard to describe the scent I generally only know when I smell it. But packaging does play an important role. If the packaging is cute and looks luxurious I will gravitate towards it. Also! If I can see the product through the packaging I'm more keen because I know what I'm getting :)
trudijoy
8375 posts
haha fair point re the transparent packaging, Amy!
idomakeupnz
150 posts
When it comes to lipstick, which is my favourite makeup product, it's always colour and formula. I almost always buy matte lipsticks, sometimes a satin/cream finish but very rarely. Colour wise I have particular shades I gravitate towards - purples, greys, beige, browns, taupes and odd colours (blues and greens mostly).
Eyeshadows, I am quite picky about but packaging definitely aids in my final decision (hello Too Faced Chocolate Bar).
Any other makeup item I am usually drawn to by colour/formula and packaging but these days I tend to wait for reviews before purchasing things.

As for skincare, I could buy ALL the things if I didn't have any self control haha. If the ingredient list looks delicious and it makes amazing claims....I want it. Thank fully for my wallet I have learnt from past buying binges that my skin can only take so many products.

Perfumes, the thing that draws me is solely the notes. I have a pretty good nose and a good knowledge of scents so I can read the fragrance notes and automatically know if I'm going to like it. The packaging doesn't phase me, if it's cute or elegant then that's just a bonus to me smelling great.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Box packaging in general attracts me for some reason. Fruity florals for perfume and for some reason I can never walk past a pink lipstick for some reason
Macs
5351 posts
I love brightly coloured packaging and scents always get me.
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
For me it's a few things.  I tend to go for familiar brands and ones that have a good rep.  I have been caught out by buying pretty packaging or colours.  I have now learnt not to do that because it doesn't always swing in my favor.
When it comes to lipsticks I am obsessed with bold, bright and statement which usually always comes down to the Jeffree Star range.  His lippies tick all boxes on the look, formula and colours.  I do love velour lips too because of the broad colour range available.
For perfumes, I tend to go more for the star fragrances.  I find that they are more inclined to put out a sweet perfume which is my life,  I find that the high end perfumes are always too floral and fresh for me.  So who makes it makes a big impact.
When it comes to anything else it's what I have ready about them and ask my friends who have been there, done that and got the tshirt for it,  If they recommend then I am more swayed too.  More than anything it's the brand name at the end of the day and colours that I go for.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
A few things I suppose. I like to be able to see a product and know where it's made. I also prefer natural and organic brands and things that aren't tested on animals. With make up I do often ignore my natural rule in favourite of longevity though, that said. I also like pretty packaging and it has to be a brand I know and trust.
rebekahcramp
14 posts
I look for sensitive skin products and purchase off recomendations. Price doesnt come into it for me at all. However if the packaging is modern and classy that helps. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!