Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

What do you do with your make up

11 posts, 10 members
I've found myself going deap into my makeup case, and then seeing about expiry on products on another post the other day got me wondering 

what do you do with your make up ? 

The ones that you buy thinking that looks great in the shop but then you get it home and think my god what was I thinking the ones you try a couple of times and wasn't what you thought it was, its just not doing it for you, you reacted to it or just cant stand it.

do you sell it on ? I've seen plenty of makeup on trade me which worries me a bit specially with eye makes and lipsticks since you have no idea what or who your buying from

do you give it away? Everyone always loved free stuff right

do you bin it? This is where I really struggle, I spent my hard earned cash just to throw it away

do you keep it just in case? Guilty 

itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I've been lucky and not had too many things like that, but I do just hang on to all make up until I've finished it as I can't stand wastage of products that were still perfectly useable.
Emily-jane
314 posts
I have had this problem a few times, usually the store lighting tricks me into thinking a particular colour looks fantastic on me. Get it home and it looks terrible. Usually eyeshadow or lipsticks. I just can't throw anything away even if I never use it, I say to myself it will be great for dress up parties etc. I am a bit like you with selling make-up I know a lot of people do and use alcohol to sterilize the products but I personally wouldn't buy it.
tannygirl
3392 posts
I usually give stuff away to friends and family that want it if it is in good condition and hasn't been used much and/or can be sanitized. I wouldn't give away mascara or liquid liner after I used it, for example. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
Apparently when it comes to eyeshadows if you really like the color but it's really old you can mix it with a clear nail polish and custom create a color for you. 
ragingfrog
1289 posts
If it still has it's safety seal, unopened with receipt, contact where you bought it and see if you can return it for a different colour or store credit. Please note I don't say refund as businesses don't have to refund because you changed your mind on an item, some are nice and do though.
When it is opened it you could do one of several options
- try to make it work,
- give it away,
- bin it
- sell it. Don't expect to get what you paid for it though.

Playing with it is probably the best option. Just because it is a lipstick doesn't mean it won't work as a blush or colour corrector. Eyeshadow can become nail polish with a clear coat, blush, or highlighter/contour.
You could practice techniques using the item rather than use your favourite shadow, eg cutting your crease or practising your smoky eye.  Use it to create halloween looks.

Personally I'm not a big fan of buying and selling makeup on line because of fakes, and skin conditions, I do realise that you can sterilise with alcohol but it's not something that I can get past.
Macs
5351 posts
I always give it away. I use to sell it but now I just prefer to pass it on. 
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I don't have a big makeup collection by any standards really, but it's way more than I need, especially lipsticks. I do various things depending on the product. Mostly I give things to my Mum and sisters, especially unopened mascaras from my stash and lip products I have only swatched on my hand.
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I've been quite lucky when it comes to purchasing makeup products. I havent had a lot that I've had reactions too or purchased products that I haven't liked or didn't suit. I thankfully have family and friends that are glorified makeup geeks and I've been able to pass on unwanted items.? If the product is expired however I have just thrown it out
Rajvee2588
221 posts
I am same here itclearascrystal. I don't like waste the product, if I don't like it I pass someone who like to use. I like makeup but never buy to much at one time. Example I like eyeliner but I don't collect them. So when ever I buy makeup, make sure I ask myself I do really need or do I going to use it etc. but sometimes I splurge on myself but occasionally.
Lutece
1849 posts
This is really interesting, for me it depends on what they are.

With most items I keep them and try them later on, if they still dont work I pass them on, my sister normally takes the stuff I dont like lol

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!