Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

What brush sets do you use?

36 posts, 29 members
Geo
31 posts
After years of making do with a couple of Thin Lizzy brushes and an eyeshadow brush, I finally treated myself to a new brush set from Bella Brushes (I'm calling it an early Christmas present to try and justify it, haha).
I was wondering what brush sets everyone on here uses?  I found it really hard to pick one that looked good quality and had all the brushes I needed, without being a crazy price.
cushlaH5
178 posts
i have a few sets which i always reccommend to beginners. jessups from ebay,real techniques and elf studio set. im getting the complete zoeva set theyre amazing quality and good price considering but probably wouldnt suggest for a first set. try jessups from ebay theyre only like $20 with free shipping or real technques from iherb are good and cheap too. i have a iherb code if you need one too :)
Sylvia
149 posts
Haha, I was exactly the same as you - I had two Thin Lizzy brushes and an eyeshadow brush up until this year. Then, after being heavily influenced by all the reviews here on BR, I ordered some Real Techniques brushes off iherb, and I've used them ever since. They're really affordable (on iherb anyway, not so much instore), and super soft and good quality! I've heard really good things about the Jessup brushes also though, and they are incredibly inexpensive off ebay, like cushlaH5 said. :)
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I am a novice when it comes to makeup and that includes brushes! I have just started using the real techniques brushes (and sponge) but my sister also brought me a napolean Peredis brush set, but for now that is just wasted on me till i learn how to use them all properly!
Kia
550 posts
Oh man, I purchased this 46 piece brush kit from amazon, for only ten dollars. I was very vary because of the price, but the seller had so much positive feedback so I went for it and my word, they are such amazing quality! I can't believe it! I am actually so amazed by the value I got! I've had them for 3 years now and they are still as good as ever! 
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I have a foundation brush and a blush brush......I've just dropped some hints to my partner and mum that a brush set would be perfect for Christmas hehe fingers crossed! :)
ChristieMJ
358 posts
I have a set from Crush Cosmetics that is actually really amazing quality, I have some real techniques brushes which I love, some Jessup brushes which are awesome and some Elf Studio brushes which are also really good! I have one MAC brush and its my least favourtite of the lot, would not repurchase. Defininitely saving for a set of Zoeva brushes, have heard these are amaaazing :)
pintsize
1072 posts
I have the Revlon Divine Brushes and I love them.  I've had them a little over 12 months and still happy with them.

xx
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I have the real techniques ones. They are lovely. I have had another set arrive and haven't used them yet. Saving them for more special
Rezee
1964 posts
My most used brushes are my Jessup set (well they are just not branded jessup but same thing), I love the big kabukis for foundation (and have literally just this week started to use the tapered one for under eye concealor which is fricken amazing and so much better than fingers!), the real techniques eye set has my most used eyebrow brush and I love the blending brushes. My fave bronzer and blush brush is the real techniques pink blusher brush. Setting powder is a mix between the elf complexion brush and the elf kabuki brush.
All really cheap brushes, I would love to try the sigma ones sometime but I'm happy with what I'm using for now.
kirstyj
1732 posts
I use the Real Techniques ones and love them. I haven't bought any of my other brushes in sets. I just like to buy the exact ones I need now.
Cat
474 posts
I have a little bit of an addiction to makeup brushes, I want to try them all! On my list to try is: xobeauty and Makeup Geek. 

I think I have a good variety of brands in my collection, I have:
Jessup (not the kabuki sets but the set for eyes and other face brushes)
Sigma eye kit which I'm not much of a fan of.
Sigma Kabuki sets, the big and small ones. 
Real Techniques eye and core kits. Also many of the single brushes.
Zoeva Complete Eye kit, my current love! Got a few single face brushes from Zoeva too. 

I have a few others like MAC (the blender brush) and Sedona Lace (I don't recommend them) 

Getting brushes that do their job well transformed the way my makeup looks and I've found different products perform better given the correct type of brush!

Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Definitely Real Techniques brushes.  I have the core sets and love them, slowly working my way to getting the whole collection but for now super happy with what I have.  Oh and the Expert Face Brush is my complete favourite, the best brush ever and I'm fussy lol.
accidentprone_x
845 posts
I have xoBeauty brushes which to be honest are good but I definetely wouldn't purchase again as they are quite expensive and the quality of them doesn't last long. I have pretty much all the Real Technique brushes and love them. And I also have a few elf ones and other cheaper brands. But I am loving the few Sigma brushes I do own definetely worth spending the money on them.
Lutece
1849 posts
Real technique brushes are amazing!! They're $25 for each set on beautyjoint and I highly recommend these, fantastic quality and so cheap
StayClassy-xo
240 posts
I have a brush set from Sigma and use it religiously, the quality is really high and the brushes look super classy on your dresser.
kirstysays
762 posts
I use a bunch of real techniques brushes which I love,  A couple of elf brushes which are amazing for the price and for eyes all zoeva brushes which I can't rave about enough!
chikoboo
3402 posts
I have a mixture, nearly every RT brush because they are just awesome, a couple of revlon brushes that survived the massacre last year when washed (don't recommend the revlon set you can get at farmers, as 80% of them fell to pieces on first wash) a few elf brushes, and then my Sigma Kabuki flat top brush which is my treasured favourite its perfect for finishing powder and I made my mind up to by the whole set but they cost an arm and a leg so will be saving that for next year at some point =)
NickyNoo
18 posts
I came SO close to buying the two main Real Techniques sets earlier this year and I ended up buying a Revlon set for about the same price (it was $50 dollars or so) for 1 or 2 brushes less and, frankly, I'm gutted.

They were fantastic for the first few months, I'd have recommended them to anyone, but they are just not standing the test of time at all. After regular use and (a lot less regular than I care to admit) washes, they're all starting to shed and most are developing deformations, too, so my angled eyeliner especially is getting dangerously hard to apply liner with well.

Looks like I'll be splashing out and getting the Real Techniques after all, I think. And, of course, dreaming of the day that I can own all MAC and/or Sigma brushes. Sigh.

I just got my first MAC, too, actually. It's a 217 and so far it's amazing, absolutely stacks up to the hype, but I think I'll leave it a few months and several washes before making a final judgement call this time! Once bitten, twice shy!
NickyNoo
18 posts
Oh, and I've heard Fishpond is the place to go for RT brushes!
kayxcake
422 posts
Few years ago I started off with a set of cheap unbrand brush sets from ebay & trademe and they were good until they fell apart.

Now I own a set of Sigma Mrs Bunny brush set, a few Real Techniques brushes, a XO Beauty flat top brush, 2 Guerlain brushes and a few old unbrand ones that didn't fell apart.

The Sigma set is my fav!! so worth the money.
ChristieMJ
358 posts
Nicky I'm not sure about Fishpond but iHerb is an excellent place to buy RT brushes (and elf ones)
NickyNoo
18 posts
Christie, I bought a big skincare haul off iherb once before (plus an RT lip brush, actually) and the shipping was pretty affordable and quick for coming from America, but I had a terrible customer service experience that's left me a little shy of recommending them to anyone or using them again myself! :(

I hope it was just a one off, though, because the pricing and products that are available is certainly great!
ChristieMJ
358 posts
Oh that is SUCH a bummer, I cannot stand bad customer service! That's fair enough then :) 
chikoboo
3402 posts
Definately go to iherb for your RT brushes, Fishpond will put a percentage on top for buying them in
NickyNoo
18 posts
I compared them a couple days ago, they're pretty much the same! :)

Well, for what I'm planning on getting anyway. Including shipping, if I get the starter set and the core collection fishpond is about $1.80 cheaper, so it seems like it's neither here nor there which one you get it from pricewise. Don't know how speedy their shipping is, though - it can vary depending on what you get.
K8D
59 posts
I have a weird collection of brushes from ecotools, real techniques, avon, and a few that I can't remember where I got. I want to get more of the real techniques brushes. Love them. I just wish you could get them easily and reasonably priced in NZ. I hate waiting for stuff to turn up in the post :) too impatient.
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
I use a combo of ELF, Real Techniques and Jessup brushes. I love all of them but am planning on purchasing some from Zoeva when my bank account has recovered from Christmas and I am off my spending ban (so probably in 2048 haha).
My fave brushes are my real techniques brushes. I also have a couple of elf ones I use every now and again too.
Cesy
162 posts
You are all convincing me I need to up my Real Techniques brush ownership! I have the stippling brush and the Kabuki brush that opens up so you can use it for contouring but now I have the insatiable itch to buy more! Will probably try iHerb, I had a really terrible Fishpond customer service experience- never again!

The vast majority of my brushes come from a no-name set I bought off Trademe years ago. They're not the best but they're better than the Revlon brushes I bought (only the blush brush of that one remains and more dye  and bristles come out everytime I wash it).However any excuse to upgrade....
tannygirl
3392 posts
Most of my brushes are RT. I did have hardly any brushes, much less face brushes like foundation so I went and bought all the orange handle brushes from RT and the stippling brush. I do have a few eye-makeup brushes from Elianto which was really good since I've had them for a few years and they're still in great condiion.
nemesisroxx
506 posts
I love the Sedona Lace Midnight brushes. I originally only got them because they are pretty!! Black handles, silver barrels and pink-black brush heads. But they are reeeeally good brushes and wash easy with no fallout. I also love the Sigma brushes. My fave blending brush was stolen so I have to replace it. Again they are pricey but well worth it. I also recommend the ELF 12 peice brush set, it is a great, affordable set. I have heard great things about the RT brushes on iherb. I have also brough my mum a set of Jessup brushes for xmas and the brushes feel sooooo good!
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I have the Real Techniques core collection and starter set and that pretty much covers my brush needs. I would really recommend them! You can buy them direct from their website, and they often have codes :)
Geo
31 posts
Oh, I'm super excited to try my new set now - luckily it was so affordable that if it's not good it's not too much of a loss.  And you're giving me lots of ideas for gifting brush sets for Christmas.

Shedding is the worst thing for me, my Thin Lizzy brushes drop hair all over my face and it's a pain to get off :/

Hurry up, post man!
itskaz_xo
199 posts
I finally got some makeup brushes :) The first set I have ever owned and ive been using them everyday so far :) I got the 10 piece jessup brush set :) Can't believe how amazing they are for something so cheap. I love them!! :)
bronjenks
253 posts
I had a wee giggle when I read your post.   I am the same, cept a few months back I got a set of Avon brushes and then a real techniques sponge.  Love the sponge and would really like to get some more brushes but the avon ones are ok for in the meantime till I can afford some more decent ones :-)  

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!