Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

What beauty technique are you learning to do?

30 posts, 18 members
Macs
5351 posts
Currently I've been pratising the winged liner and cut crease. I really want to purchase a countour kit to overcome my fear of it. False eye lashes is another one I'm scared to do.
MissAimeeJean
267 posts
Winged eyeliner for sure! I can always do one eye amazing and the other turns out a horrible mess. I also struggle with eyeshadow - trying to do both eyes the same is a real challenge.
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
Nothing in particular I don't think, just practising everything every day. I have been layering a lot more eyeshadows now that I've been watching Jaclyn Hill every day. I find the easiest way to practice winged liner is to use black eyeshadow and a brow or angled liner brush!
Danni
324 posts
Currently trying to master falsies and eyeshadow like blending it out, using transition colours, crease colours and outer v colours etc and I think I'm getting the hang of it. Its taken a lot of practice though and a lot of hours watching youtubers!
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
Trying to make my foundation look more like when the professionals do it; that photoshop smooth all day glow.
Macs
5351 posts
I just watched Jacyln hills eye shadow tutorial tonight it looks qquite intricate trying to layer that many eye shadows in each area of the eye lid. Good on you for giving that a go. It looks hard. I find theres a difference between the blending sponge and foundation brush when applying foundation itscrystalclear.
chloednz
217 posts
Am in a tiny local production at the moment so its giving me the oppurtunity to try quite a few things I've wanted to master- contouring, winged eyeliner, expeimenting with bronzer, and lots of eyeshadow looks- so much fun! But not so fun chiselling the whole lot off at the end of the night!
chikoboo
3402 posts
I'm constantly learning and improving technique, as the trends change so quickly.  At the moment I am developing my cat flick to be a bit more bolder and straighter so it has that effect of a really tight crisp cut.  Also playing with pigments and glitters by making them into eyeliners and using liquid lipsticks as eyeliners too is mega fun!
chikoboo
3402 posts
The secret to those photoshopped type skin finishes itsclearascrystal is products like Too Faced Candlelight invisble powder, it has micro glitter pigments in it, so fine that it won't make you look like a disco ball but you grab a big fluffy brush as the final step before setting your look, swirl it in this powder and go hard all over your face and neck to give it a soft veil effect.  It is magic powder!

Read the reviews here =) 
chloednz
217 posts
That Too Faced powder is definately on my wishlist Chikaboo!
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
Thanks ladies, I will give your suggestions a go :)

And eyeshadow layering is so much fun for those of you trying that, it's also really fun playing with the colours.
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
At the moment I'm really just working on practicing everything before I start focusing on one particular thing - I guess the thing I'm paying attention to is eyeshadow and blending at the moment. Baby steps for me :)
AmandaJane
1147 posts
I'm trying to learn basic makeup for older skin, well I will be shortly. I haven't used makeup much for a long time so I'm a bit nervous but I seem to be able to pull it off when I do as I get some great comments. That is always a boost when my confidence is low and I'm trying something new.

Things I definitely want to learn are the cat eye winged eye liner look and contouring/highlighting/strobing. It's gonna take time :)
shazatron101
5112 posts
Hey Chikoboo, I have that powder as per your's and Ongs enabling hahahaha, but I find I get a lot of fallout with it? Like more goes in the air rather than on my face? Tips please, beautiful x
chikoboo
3402 posts
Oh I've never had that happen Shaza, but with loose powders and pigments I always spray my brush lightly with fix+ before using, makes them stick to the brush a bit better and apply more evenly.  Shake the brush once you spray it though so it isn't wet or it'll splodge on (if you get what I mean?)  Perhaps that might help?
shazatron101
5112 posts
Hahah I don't have any spray type things D: but yeah it does help haha thanks lovely
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Shazatron I use a big brush, do 2 circles of the powder and rub in circles on my face. Then keep repeating. So less product on the brush and build it up on the face. Try using moisturizer just before you apply it as well as it will stick to your face better xx
shazatron101
5112 posts
That's what I currently do Ong! I use it as a finishing powder though (still trying to work out where it fits in my routine) but I find it floofs all over the show. I tried tapping it on my face and then swirling it around, that seemed to work for a bit!
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I personally love it as a first step under foundation. Also love it as a highlighter for strobing. Both ways make me "glow"
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
I feel like I'm learning/practising everything all the time. My main focus is always trying to get my base perfected, so I'm forever trying out different foundations/mixing ones I already have, using different powders etc, sometimes it's a total fail lol and sometimes I'll have a success, the struggle is real!
Head Pixie
569 posts
AmandaJane, if you're getting ready to delve into the joyous world of makeup application (says she who still can't apply any kind of eyeliner to her upper lids successfull) check out these makeup tutorial vid cateories for more mature skin, here and here  xxx 
shazatron101
5112 posts
I tried it as a highlighter, but as I can barely see it on my face I stopped haha. I also tried using it underneath but again, didn't see any difference so on top it goes, where at least I can sort of see shimmery flecks in the light! :P 
Macs
5351 posts
I hope it comes right for you Shaz. I've been curious about the candlelight and the hourglass ambient light. They look so good. I love highlighters at the moment. I never though of using liquid lipsticks in a different way .
MareeB
5239 posts
Those are good tips Chickaboo. I'm noticing the use of good brushes is critical and saw some awesome ones on the 5 minute tutorials.
MareeB
5239 posts
The same for me AmandaJane - applying make up to older skin is a whole different ballgame. I wore a lot of makeup when I was young and I'm finding the same techniques don't work so well now I'm older.
Mila
1209 posts
I know we're currently all about strobing but after reading the things to do with a nude palette I have been using the nude's as a contour and I cant believe its something that I didnt think of sooner ...LOVE IT !......

Chikoboo now I want that Too Faced invisible powder aswell, I absolutley love candlelight
bronjenks
253 posts
Still learning...well, everything lol.  Would like to get some more eyeshadows to practice a bit more as all I'd every had (before you enablers) was browns and neutrals so still a way to go.  The other thing I'd like to master is that winged liner, I have tried  a few times and just cannot seem to get it right.  Would be awesome to have my makeup done and someone to actually show me on me if that makes sense?  Need to watch a few more youtub clips me thinks :-)
Macs
5351 posts
I'd love to have someone do my make up and show me as well. I need to watch tutorials as well. Theres a whole bunch of them on BR. I just watched Wayne Gosses strobbing tutorial I couldn't believe how easy it looked. I also need a fan brush to sweep across the upper cheek bones with a powder highlighter.
janini9
341 posts
I hear ya Amanda Jane. Having also just getting back into using real makeup ( not just skin disguiser foundation and powder) mature skin makeup is a whole different ball game, treading that fine line so that that I don't look like an old gypsy queen from the circus. 
MrsO
196 posts
I would like to achieve a more natural makeup look, I find as I age a subtle touch is better, but at the same time don't want to look too washed out.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!