Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Using baby wipes for spot cleaning brushes?

16 posts, 12 members
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Hey ladies,

I just got my Real Techniques brushes (yay!) from iherb and am planning on taking care of them.

My question is, is it ok to use baby wipes to spot clean your brushes? I have been doing this with my old brushes - as I didn't care because they were cheap crappy ones from trademe.

If it isn't ok to use baby wipes to spot clean, what would you recommend?

tannygirl
3392 posts
I'll be keeping a eye on this one as my RT brushes just arrived a few days ago and I wanted to find a quick way to clean them but didn't want the bristles to dry out and break using alcohol to spot clean them. I went to purchase a spray brush cleaner the other day and I had the choice of either Artiste which was comprised of water and alcohol and not worth $20 or the Estee Lauder one which had a few more ingredients but still smelt like alcohol and was $35 a bottle.
nessfindlay
36 posts
I use Isopropl Alcohol (you can buy in pharmacies) and put in spray bottle - spray brushes and wipe with a tissue , works perfectly without harming the bristles and also kills any germs!
chikoboo
3402 posts
I got my RT brushes today =) I think I might try the alcohol in a spray bottle or buy purpose cleaner, determine to take care of these babies
Shazzaali
45 posts
I would like to try the alcohol in the bottle as well, sounds like a great idea.
tannygirl
3392 posts
Not to throw a wet blanket on anyone's ideas but Pixiwoo said that she doesn't recommend using plain alcohol because it can dry out the bristles over time and they can break. I did have a look at the ingredients Mac one she uses regularly and it's a pretty high alcohol content except that it has hydrolised wheat protein which conditions the bristles. For those interested I looked online and found this receipe for a DIY brush cleaner.
gaijinchick
147 posts
I've been using baby wipes on my MAC brushes and they haven't damaged them at all.
Lutece
1849 posts
I used to spot clean with baby wipes when i was short for time back in my makeup school days, nowadays you can buy makeup brush spray which would be pretty good!
chikoboo
3402 posts
thanks Tannygirl.  Eek I really don't want to ruin my new babies so might just go do a little research on it, but alcohol does dry things so I guess there is some truth there.  Need something gentle :)
evitarose
22 posts
This brush cleaner is phenomanal! Dip in and out dries so quick! Shaaanxo
is in love with it and I definitely take her word! http://camerareadycosmetics.com/products/cinema-secrets-brush-cleaner.html
Manda129
419 posts
I trained as a make up artist 13 years ago and i still have the same brushes,

i use isopropyl alcohol, i spray it on a tissue and then gently wipe my brushes back and forward till clear, i wouldnt reccomend dipping your brushes in it.

And then depending on usage i wash them with a moisturising shampoo and leave them to dry for at least 24 hrs

My Brushes are still in fab condition just like the day i got them :)
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
I got some brush cleaner from Farmers yesterday and I'm using that as a spot cleaner. I couldn't believe how filthy my brushes were!
simone94
191 posts
I am currently waiting for my real techniques brushes to arrive from iherb. I currently use baby shampoo to deep clean and baby wipes or makeup wipes to spot clean my cheap brushes. I am wondering if there is anything different I should be doing to take better care of my new brushes?
Youphoria
6 posts
Hi ladies,

I used to work as a makeup artist and on set we always used the dettol hand wash (the antibac one) for our brushes. There are loads of expensive cleaners and things out there but this works well and disinfects the brush too. I haven't seen baby wipes used before (they often contain things you wouldn't want on your skin funnily enough) but they'd maybe be an okay quick fix if you were onset and needed to get a bit of colour off the brush before using another colour.  Us MA's usually have so many brushes we just clean them all at the end of the day and let them air dry overnight. Hope that helps!
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Youphoria - I like the sound of using Dettol to spot clean - it is waaaay cheaper than brush cleaner. Thanks! :)
cfabello
4 posts
Hiya, I use baby wipes to clean my Sigma brushes in between deep cleaning. And i use baby wash for deep cleaning also and are perfectly fine. Baby products are a gentle wash, and obviously not harsh. Best of all, so much cheaper than brush cleaning products :-)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!