Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

The Ordinary Skincare range

78 posts, 21 members
Imoshen
461 posts
Was watching Angie from Hotnflashy50 the other day and she reviewed a couple of products from a company called The Ordinary which I'd never heard of before. 

A couple of days of researching - reading various reviews, comments and articles about them I wondered if anyone from here had heard of them or tried their products.

It sounds like an interesting line.  They have stripped all the fillers and use only proven active ingredients such as Retinol, Niacinamide and Vitamin C serums etc and their aim is to revolutionise the beauty industry by not charging stupid prices for them.

Apparently Wayne Goss has also done a quick review of their products.

Can anyone recommend any must haves from their line?
MareeB
5241 posts
I hadn't heard of them but they sound interesting. I'll be watching to see what other people think of them!
tannygirl
3392 posts
I think the person to ask would be Head Pixie she mentioned it recently in The Beauty Guru Made Me Buy It.
Imoshen
461 posts
Oh yes!  I did read that article but completely forgot about it so thanks for reminding me.

How about Corsx?  That is another brand that has started popping up too for their fantastic AHA and BHA's.  Just wondering if anyone has tried that out?
tannygirl
3392 posts
Actually Shaz, is the person to ask about Corsx. And I'm not sure if she frequents the forum often but I thought idomakeupnz, might have mentioned it once.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Corsx is awesome! I love the BHA and AHA I have. I shall ask idomakeup to come and answer any questions you have - she started me on them :-) 
idomakeupnz
150 posts
Hellooooo. I have been beckoned :P
Cosrx are an amazing minimalistic Korean brand, they have some really fabulous products for affordable prices. 
I use their BHA and AHA religiously, they're both in hefty pump bottles which dispense the right amount of product and the formula has been perfected so that they're at the correct pH to exfoliate. BHA goes on first, wait 20-30 minutes and then apply AHA and wait another 20-30 minutes. If you've never used acids before I highly suggest patch testing one at a time along the jawline and waiting 24-48 hours to see if there's any reaction. If not, you're good to go. Only add in one at a time with at least a month between each product. The percentage is quite low on both the BHA and AHA so they're good starter chemical exfoliants and if your skin can handle it, they're great for regular use. 
Just remember that since they are active ingredients they can cause purging. So if you use them and you experience any breakouts then it's highly likely it will be the BHA or AHA. If the breakouts persist for longer than 2-4 weeks then you are most likely sensitive to something in the formula and you should stop using it immediately. 
Start off using each product once a week, maybe once every two weeks if you have sensitive skin and then slowly build yourself up to more frequent use. You can over exfoliate with chemicals and it can be very painful. Your skin will feel tight, itchy and sensitive to touch. It will likely be red and scaly, shiny looking through the t-zone and very dry+oily at the same time. You may also experience little breakouts. Immediately stop using them and go back to a simple routine, over exfoliating destroys your moisture barrier and you have to start from scratch again basically, I've been there and it isn't fun.
One more thing, you want to be using a pH balanced face wash (anywhere between 3 and 5.5 is good) but if you're using something higher (6+) then you need to use a pH adjusting toner to force your skins pH level down after cleansing. Your skin needs to be at an optimal pH level for the acids to work. I believe BHA needs to be around 3/3.5 to be effective and AHA around 4/4.5 so definitely make sure your cleanser and/or toner is pH balanced first.

Sorry I rambled for so long! I hope that asked any questions you may have had. If I didn't cover anything, feel free to ask. Costx also have a variety of toners, moisturisers, sleeping packs, masks and essences. I highly recommend them (:
shazatron101
5112 posts
speak of the devil and she shall appear ;-P thanks Sav :-D
tannygirl
3392 posts
Oooh my interest is piqued as well. Thanks for the instructions on how to use them idomakeupnz is there a facial cleanser or toner you would recommend to use with them or will any gentle, natural facial cleanser like Moreish for example, work well with them?

Should we tone our skin first before applying the peel or is that only if your facial cleanser has too high a ph?

How many times max a week should you use this?

And if you do these should you stop using any other exfoliators or clay/mud masks? If you do want to use these in conjunction with other exfoliants how often should you use them?

Are these supposed to be used straight after each other in the same night?

Sorry for so many questions I'm just curious about how to incorporate these in my skincare routine, I already use a really gentle facial cleansing device every night. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
I can answer these weeee!
You can always message the company and ask what pH their products are, I've done that with a few companies and they're usually happy enough to help. 

I use a toner (this one is what I was told to use) before applying. I'm not entirely sure the pH balance of Skinfood Cleans All but I think it's low (5ish) but I still tone cos that how I was taught so I do it. So yes. 

I started off using it once every 2 weeks I think, but now I do it once a week if I remember (usually I do). 

I do BHA then AHA, and then I follow with Freemans Pineapple mask, a clay mask/Lush mask/Lush Cup o Coffee mask, and then a sheet mask. Always in that order. The Pineapple mask has AHA's in it as well so it's a nice follow up when using acids. Plus Sav told me to, so I do. lol. I use a clay mask if I have breakouts. Lush masks are just cos I can, plus I love how my skin feels after using the coffee mask. It's baby bum soft. The sheet mask is on for as long as possible, and then I do regular skin care (emulsion, oils, snail gel, sleeping pack).

Yes you do these one after the other. As Sav said, tone, then apply the BHA and leave on for 20-30 minutes. Then apply the AHA, wait again. Then the masks, and I also tend to wait between 15-30 minutes for each. Depending on how fast the clay masks dry, they don't last on my face very long, so I don't use them all that often unless its a spot treatment. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
Thanks so much, Shaz. Very helpful to know how to incorporate these.
Imoshen
461 posts
Oh wow!  Very helpful thanks :).

I do have one question, I have been using the BHA's and AHA's from Paula's Choice but with researching The Ordinary I found a few comments that said Cosrx was so much better.  Have you tried the BHA's/AHA's from Paulas's Choice and can you compare with the Cosrx?

I also noticed that Cosrx uses castor oil which a few people commented on that this can be attributed to break outs so I'm a little cautious of trying this.

BTW I never wait between applying my BHA's/AHA's and the rest of my skincare,  I lack the patience for it so it all goes on one after the other :).  I haven't had any problems with sensitivity in this method but something to be mindful of.
Imoshen
461 posts
Another question!  Where do you buy your Cosrx products from?  
shazatron101
5112 posts
Yeah, I think thats why idomakeup said to do a spot test - to make sure it doesn't break you out. 

I buy mine from roseroseshop (link is to the brand). I'll tell idomakeup you had more questions tho :-) 
idomakeupnz
150 posts
@tannygirl - typically foaming cleansers are higher pH than a gel. As Shaz said, you can always contact the company to see what the level is. I personally use Korean cleansers, the 3 I have tried and liked are the Hada Labo HA foaming cleanser (in the pump, not tube) which is pH 5.5, the Innisfree Jeju Bija cleansing gel which is around pH 3 and the Etude House O Le Mong Morning Gel cleanser which is about a pH 5.
The toner Shaz linked to is what I'm currently using but I plan on trying out the Cosrx AHA/BHA Clarifying Toner soon.

You really only need the toner if your cleansers pH is on the higher side but the toner can help to push the pH level down even more and some people say that it can kind of boost the acids. So not necessary but I prefer this method.

Starting out I would use an acid once every two weeks and only use ether BHA or AHA to begin with. Eventually you can work up to once a week and then once a week with both acids. See how your skin feels and reacts, some people can only handle acods once a month, so it's very different for each individual. Personally I can use both acids every second day without any issues. Just listen to your skin.

As for other exfoliants, I would cut all physical ones out for the first couple of months when beginning to use acids just because your skin really needs to adjust and you need to know how your skin is reacting to JUST the acids. After you know how well you can cope then you can add in other exfoliants accordingly. I like to use a physcial scrub the morning/day after using acids as it really helps to slough off any lifted dead skin cells. I use clay masks regularly after acids and love to follow up with a sheet mask.

To begin with you only need to use one. For example, say you start on the 1st only use BHA once between the 1st and the 14th. See how your skin reacts. If it's okay try for once a week so once between the 15th and 22nd. Then after a month you can do the same with AHA. After that try both in one week but not staright after each other. I can't stress enough how careful you need to be with chemical exfoliants. Once you feel your skin agrees with them you can try using them in the same night. It would look something like this - CLEANSE, TONE (pH), BHA wait 20-30 mins, AHA wait 20-30 mins, REST OF ROUTINE.

@Imoshen - Sorry I have not used the Paula's Choice ones but I have heard that they're much stronger than Cosrx, people seem to prefer the Cosrx ones because they're more gentle so can be used more frequently.

My skin clogs easily as it's quite oily and I haven't had an issue with the castor oil. All it;s used for in this formula is to help make it more cosmetically elegant I believe, there will be a very small % of it.

You can buy Cosrx on Ebay from different shops, just check their rating. Also RoseRoseShop, Jolse and I believe Beautynetkorea.
Julieal
915 posts
The Ordinary sounds interesting . Is it NZ made ?
Imoshen
461 posts
Thanks so much for all your helpful infomation!  

Interesting that you say you've heard the PC ones are stronger because from what I've read the Cosrx ones are :P.  But, I also read they are gentler on the skin.  I've never had a problem with PC's BHA/AHA's though and found them gentle enough to use everyday.

I did find that the lotion/liquid from her line tend to leave my skin with an oily looking shine so I prefer to use her products formulated for the body on the face (in the purple tubes).  Might try the Cosrx for a change though, see how it goes.

The Ordinary is a Canadian line under a brand called DECIEM.  They have a more expensive line, a line for shampoo's/conditioners and other stuff too.  In my research I have read mixed reviews for them but like anything, what works for someone simply doesn't work for someone else.

Timeless Skincare on the other hand, everyone seems to love.
tannygirl
3392 posts
  Thanks so much idomakeupnz. This may sound really stupid, Shaz but are you supposed to rinse off the BHA/AHA in between and after using them or just wait 20-30 mins to let them absorb and then continue on with the rest of your routine? 
   I'm asking because I've used a treatment that was 25% gycolic both ways. I used to do the every other night thing and I was using my Foreo Luna everynight as well. I was all gung-ho on the acids and actually some milia I had at the time disappeared. Then I decided to slow down and just do peels once or twice a week and my skin was alot less irritated. So I currently just use it maybe once a week if I remember and leave it on for a few minutes and rinse it off.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Nah just leave them on. If you do a face mask they get washed off anyway I guess, so it doesn't really matter. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
Cool. I'll try it in that order.
MissQT
1547 posts
I've never heard about these products or brands before. I've never used BHA or AHA products either. This thread was very interesting so I'll have to look into these products.
Macs
5351 posts
I dunno what their talking about MsQT. I need to do some reading about it. Sounds complicated lol
Imoshen
461 posts
It sounds complicated but it really isn't :).  

BHA's (Beta Hydroxy Acid - usually Salicylic Acid) and AHA's (Alpha Hydroxy Acid - either Lactic or Glycolic usually) are acids used for chemical exfoliation.  The fact that they contain the word "acid" shouldn't scare you, they are quite gentle on skin and excellent at removing dead skin, improving skin tone and removing blackheads etc.

BHA's work deeper into the skin whereas AHA's work on the surface layers of the skin.

As I said, different people have different reactions to including these in their skin care routine.  Do your research and find a product that you think will be suitable and go from there.  They are very effective.
MissQT
1547 posts
ok so I looked into these products a bit more. Has anyone used the cosrx galactomyces whitenig power essence?
Salli
3 posts
The Ordinary skin care range is just fantastic!!! There are so many positive reviews on this range! Everyone seems to be raving on about it! I have used the Rose Hip oil and the buffer so far, it is great! Been wanting to try the Viramin C suspension as well. Highly recommend it!
Imoshen
461 posts
I quite like the Vitamin C Suspension but it's not for everyone.  I would like to try the 12% and 20% but Beautylish have been sold out for weeks on this now.  

Once a week for the past 3 weeks I have been using the AHA/BHA Peel and wow, if you can get your hands on this it's really worth it!  If you aren't used to acids, don't leave it on for more than 5 minutes the first couple of times.  In the morning after I've used this product my skin is so soft and smooth and it continues to look nicer throughout the week (which could be because of the other products I'm using too).

Not a fan of the Toning Solution or the Lactic Acid though.  This causes a great deal of irritation to my skin but might be fine for others.
Salli
3 posts
Hi Ladies, just a bit of a heads up...it seems that you can get The Ordinary skin care in NZ now! Just thought I'd let you guys know! The site is www.lafemmebeauty.co.nz cheers x
Imoshen
461 posts
Thanks for the heads up on La Femme Beauty!  Their prices are more than I'm willing to pay when I can get it far cheaper from Beautylish.com but could be useful if I need something urgently once they have sorted out their stock levels (a lot of stuff is pre-order).

My Beautylish order arrived just the other day so that is about 3 weeks (21 days, not working days) that I received it after ordering.  

In that parcel I ordered some of the Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate 10% (some people refer to this as MAP) which is a less irritating form of Vitamin C.  I have used this a couple of times and I'm quite impressed!  If you're going to put in an order for The Ordinary, be sure to include this one.  It's a thick white liquid (think sunscreen thick) but gets completely absorbed into the skin and doesn't leave your skin feeling or looking greasy.

Oh, the new products I refered to are set to be released Mid-July.

Salli
3 posts
That's good to know, I had no idea that the vitamin C can cause irritation. Will try the new product, MAP sounds easier lol. Have you used the caffeine solution before, I have been wanting to try this product but was not sure if I should. I have sensitive skin especially around my eye area, just looking for something to get rid of dark circles and fine lines! hate the lines under my eyes.

Thanks for letting me know about beautylish, the prices are in USD, after the exchange and postage work out to be the same :( shipping is $10usd, I don't want to spend more than $60 to get free shipping. I have to pace myself as I am impatient to wait 25 days :( might have to get onto Mr Google and see who is the cheapest hahah Thank you :)

Imoshen
461 posts
L-Ascorbic Acid can be irritating to sensitive skins (especially the 23% Suspension).  The other formulas they have are very nice and easy to use.  One of the reasons I chose the MAP was because I want to wear a Vitamin C during the day and the more watery/oily formulas don't tend to sit well on my face during the day.

I haven't tried the Caffine Solution as I don't need a product like this but the MAP would probably help you a little bit.  There is a product by Paula's Choice, Radiance Renewal Mask, which I see on their Australian website is now unavailable but still available on their US one that I noticed decreased my undereye circles a little.  This is an expensive product that uses the Vitamin C form of MAP in it.

You could try the Argireline Solution for fine lines around your eye area.  

I get free shipping if I spend USD35 so you might want to have another look at Beautylish.  Prices are in USD but you use the exchange rate of roughly .69 (USD9.60 / .69 = NZD13.91).  I use .69 because the USD has been going up and down recently and use it as worst case scenario.  It's acutally sitting on around .72 which would make it even cheaper!

Hopefully with Estee Lauder behind the line they will make it more easily available to us but check out some Australian websites and see if they will ship it to NZ.

Koni
444 posts
After using The Ordinary for a few months on my oily sensitive skin I'm very happy with the products.  It has helped to keep my skin clear (and no I haven't changed my eating habits or water intake - though I should really do myself a favour in this area).

Daily (already repurchased)
1. Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%
2. High Adherence Silicone Primer

Weekly
3. Niacinamide 10% - Zinc 1%

Fortnightly (for less than 5 minutes due to sensitivity)
4. AHA 30% BHA 2% Peeling solution

Whoa 3 weeks for delivery!?  That's quite long for Beautylish!
Imoshen
461 posts
I have backups of backups now :).  I've been giving some to others to try since I've been so impressed with the product line that I don't buy them in one's anymore, I buy them in two's or three's.  Nearly got a whole drawer full of the stuff (hope the husband never sees in this drawer!).

Koni - You only use the Niacinamide once a week?  I love this stuff and use it twice a day. 

For those that have never used the AHA30% Peel, use a thin layer!  I used a slightly thicker layer than normal and boy did my skin pay the price for that.  I see that Wayne Goss has done a video for this line and suggests using this product twice a week.  I think my skin would freak out from that.

I think 2-3 weeks is about the norm for delivery from Beautylish.  It's good to know for when I start to use up my "spares" and have to look at ordering back ups. 

I wonder how I can convince my husband to try MAP .... I'm so impressed by this one that I can't believe I took so long to try it. 
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Makupobsessive now has an online store where you can purchase The Ordinary skincare where she has a regimen for the skincare line for certain skin types
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Oh gosh, love the sound of this skincare.  Went and had a look on the site but wow, so many different ones, where do you even start.

I have super sensitive super dry skin, so is there any point in me looking into these or do they have a suitable product? Any suggestions as the price is pretty reasonable compared to the money I've wasted over the years on brands that don't work.
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
@Mumof3munchkins they split their products into different categories depending on your skin here.

I think I might try it after reading so much about it, but it's free shipping over $35 and I've only got my eyes on two things. So anyone want to combine an order for that free shipping?
Chaotic82
522 posts
This looks interesting.  My skin has gone absolutely crazy, I was thinking about looking into the Dr Pimple Popper range - but might give some of these products a go first!  
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I really need to look into this range a bit more, thanks for the skin type/ordinary options. I have been tempted on this since the Beautylish email saying they had the brand online.
Imoshen
461 posts
Have a read through this page that Wayne Goss put together to help you decide which products you want to try for what skin concerns you have.

He doesn't suggest the 5% Lactic Acid at all but if you can afford it, buy it and use it once or twice a week.  It's very gentle and absolutely amazing (in fact you could use this if you're scared by the 30% AHA Peeling Solution).  

I have oily breakout prone skin and my routine for the evening is:
MAP
2% Advanced Retinoid - every second day (Retin A every other day)
5% Lactic Acid - 2 or 3 times a week but wanting to use every day
Cosrx Salicyclic Acid - 2 or 3 times a week - as needed
The Buffet
PC Moisturiser mixed with a drop of Niacinamide and Squalane
Azeliac Acid 

I don't wait for them to soak in, I apply one immediately after the other.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Ohhh i just checked it out. Great prices. Definitely going to place an order soon.
Chaotic82
522 posts
I watched some videos last night and made a late night order, can't wait to try it out!   
Koni
444 posts
Imoshen, I love Niaciamide too however I had to reduce from daily to weekly because my skin including the palms of my hands / finger tips started to react.

I tried AHA peel once every week for less than 10 mins then reduced to less than 5 mins but it was still too much for my skin. I find it works just great if I use it every 2 weeks.
Imoshen
461 posts
How odd that your skin reacted to it like that.  My fingers are always peeling from something so I never thought it could be from this.  Still, I love the stuff so much that it won't stop me from using it everyday :).

Chaotic82 what did you order?

So I figured the women in my family will be getting some of these for Christmas this year.  Yep, need to spread the funds out a bit so Christmas shopping has started.
eysi
10 posts
I was actually planning to hoard The Ordinary products but this thread made me think twice about it. Lol.
Chaotic82
522 posts
Imoshen I got

Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%
High-Adherence Silicone Primer
High-Spreadability Fluid Primer
Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%
AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution
Retinol 1%
Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA

And then I snuck in an IT Cosmetics  Bye Bye Pores Pressed  hehe

Thought I would just grab what Wayne Goss recommended and then throw some extras in as well to test out.   Looking forward to getting them!
Imoshen
461 posts
Excellent starting products!  You'll be wishing you'd bought more of the other stuff :P.  Start the retinol slowly, every 2 or 3 days, it made my chin flake after two uses.

I didn't think I would like the High Adherence Primer but I absolutely love it.  I even contacted The Ordinary to ask if this is suitable to use at night and they said it was but I haven't been brave enough to wear it at night yet.
Rezee
1964 posts
I've got my eye on a few products from this range, I'm just trying so hard to be good and use up other things first. I love how affordable it all seems to be as well!
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Just did my first order, $51 with free shipping for 5 products so pretty happy. I got:

Hyaluronic acid
Marula oil
Peeling solution
Lactic acid
Natural moisturising factors

Looking forward to trying it all. My skin type is very dry and dull.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Lisalou was that from Beautylish? Go easy with the peeling solution to start off with! My skin is used to peels and acids but I find it feels a little hot after that one. I like to use a sheet mask afterwards, to cool things down. 
MareeB
5241 posts
I'd love to try some of those acids and peels but it is a bit scary.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Maree, the scariest thing about them is the names. Just that less is more to start off with.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!