Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Stretch Marks

39 posts, 24 members
Kia
550 posts
Evening ladies, 
So I've recently lost a lot of weight in a very short space of time, and now I am literally, covered in stretchmarks!! It's so bad, I look like a zebra! Nohing on my stomach or arms, but my thighs and buttocks are in a terrible state. 

I've read that Bio oil isn't really that effective, so I'm wondering what any of you can recommend that will actually work - even just a little? 
Please and thank you
1139 posts
Unfortunately I don't have a solution (still looking for the perfect one myself!) but I typed it into the search bar and a few links came up. Hopefully something helps :)

Here, here, here, and here may be helpful.

Not all are about stretch marks in regards to weight loss but they are still relevant :)
trudijoy
8375 posts
Bio Oil worked for me... and fake tan to cover them up in the meantime :p

I've heard rosehip oil is meant to be good too
shazatron101
5112 posts
I haven't been using Trilogy's rosehip oil on stretch marks but I've been using it on a burn scar the size of a 50 c piece, and the results I've had from it is amazing. It's faded ten fold and in some lights doesn't even look like its there anymore.
trudijoy
8375 posts
shaz - I ripped my arm up pretty badly on a sequinned dress and it faded the scratches to almost gone in nearly a week. Amazing stuff!
shazatron101
5112 posts
Oooh Trudi your dress sounds violent!! (but sequins make it sound so pretty) Bahaha rosehip oil is like smelly liquid gold!! :P
trudijoy
8375 posts

Let's see if the pic thing works. This is nicknamed the 'evil ballerina' dress and the whole bodice is sequinned, and they are all hurty!
shazatron101
5112 posts
Aw look at you, you are gooorgeous Trudi!!! and that dress is amazing too even if it is hurty haha beauty is pain??
trudijoy
8375 posts
for a $10 dress I'll take the pain haha.

Thankyou! I'm trying not to look at the bulgy bits I'm now gymming off so I'll take the compliment haha.
sam_clarkson
205 posts
haven't used it myself but have heard great things about johoba (spelling) oil
shazatron101
5112 posts
Uh... What bulgy bits!? You look fantastic ya silly woman! P.S sorry to hijack your post about stretch marks haha and its Jojoba, so you're pretty close! And it is amazing too :-)
trudijoy
8375 posts
Lol thanks...

and yes no more thread hijack - I've also heard good things about jojoba oil and I think (could be wrong though) it can be used as a carrier?
Macs
5351 posts
Hey there, I tried Bio oil and it didn't work. I even tried coco butter palmers still nothing. I hear laser treatment could lighten it. I haven't tried it myself. I even seen creams that claim to remove them. Would love to find a miracle product that takes them away. Everyones body is different though. My sister inlaw did Bio oil and it lightened them. But didn't take the lines away.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Rosehip oil is really good for fading/reducing stretchmarks.  I used Palmers Cocoa Butter Stretch mark cream and I have also used Trilogy Rosehip Oil for face acne and really has worked.  Hope that helps x
Rezee
1964 posts
time helps, I got really bad ones after my first and those ones are pretty much faded off now- shes 8 1/2 now. Bio oil and just moisturising in general hasnt really seemed to help. I never thought about rosehip oil, I love it for my ace. I guess it would get quite eexpensive using it on your body though!
SandieNZ
424 posts
I used Bio Oil religiously and it didn't make any difference on my ones unfortunately - like the others have said either Rosehip or you can get them lasered.  I've heard some good reviews about coffee scrubs, but again I haven't seen any improvement using that myself just yet...
SandieNZ
424 posts
Oh, and congrats on the weightloss (assuming it was intentional that is!), do you have any tips to share?  ;)
I wish there was some magical cream that took care of them! or a magic wand! 
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Personally I found bio oil as useless as... well I better not say.
Rosehip oil and silberhorn collagen pills have helped so much. I have 2 large scars going from by butt Crack (sorry for images) right up my spine to around my rib cage height. Also scars on my tummy from 5 ops means i have heaps of scars. since using this combo they have faded to you have to look for them.
Stretch marks have faded heaps and heaps. Also when I forget to keep hydrated makes them more visible as well.
TillysMum
30 posts
Stretch marks come from the tearing of collagen under the skin surface.  Nothing can be done to "fix" them, although a regular good moisturisation regime with Vitamin E containing moisturiser will help to make them less noticable by keeping the surrounding collagen and skin cells well hydrated.  The best way to stop stretchmarks is to prevent them by regular moisturising of the area.  This is a bit more difficult when they have arisen from weight loss rather than pregnancy.  With pregnancy, the best way is to rub a good amount of moisturiser into the affected stretching areas at least once a day (I used to do it morning and night).  It makes not much difference which moisturiser you use, as long as it is a rich one (as opposed to a light runny lotion) containing Vitamin E that is thick.  I used to use St Ives Vit E moisturiser and when I did use it (2 pregnancies) I got no stretchmarks, when I didn't (middle child) I got a LOT of them, although these were improved greatly when I used the moisturiser with the next pregnancy.  One bottle of St Ives (with the pump nozzle) lasted me around 4 months of everyday, twice a day, use.
Lutece
1849 posts
Congrats on your weightloss hun!

Bio oil didnt work for me and i used it alot over time, my body is covered in stretchmarks, about 85% is stretchmarks, the sun helps lighten them, also a fake tan x
kaajal
27 posts
Bio oil hasnt worked for me either :( Im currently using Frank (the body scrub thing) and seeing if that makes a difference, after using it about 5 times in 2 weeks I havent seen a difference yet but ill keep trying and see how it does!
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
please don't hate me but I've found and this is just my experience that once you have stretch marks there's no going back:( they stay. They fade with time but they don't go away. 
Macs
5351 posts
Good point Fi. Definately don't hate you. To be honest I've stopped trying. I tried my own homemade coffee scrub for month no change. I think as I grow older I learn to accept my flaws. Make the most out of my good points about my body. 
ajrees23
41 posts
I've tried bio oil on my scars and it didn't make mine fade. When I lost weight my stretch marks were really noticeable but after a few months they started to fade and are now more white than the purple they started off at.
After reading your comments I think I will give the Rose Hip Oil a go to see if they can fade them abit further.
Thank you for starting this thread Kia and congrats on your weight loss.

ChristineHoll
152 posts
Another one here who didn't like bio oil! I didn't like the smell though and found it too runny so actually gave up on it before having a decent go. My pharmacist did say that there is a silica type gel that they give heart surgery patients for their scars and apparently works better than rosehip oil etc. Has anyone tried this? I just had major stomach surgery so in a few months will be venturing down this path again myself.
Mila
1209 posts
Congrats on the weight loss :).
I agree with the other ladies bio oil did nothing for me.  I have stretch marks on my hips and things and i've always been an avid moisturiser day and night I think the only thing that has really helped them has been time. 
MrsO
196 posts
Kia, I use the Essano Rosehip Oil, which I have found to be just as effective as other more expensive oils, I got it in a fairly large bottle from Countdown, on special of course. I found it reduced the scars and blemishes on my skin. I don't have stretchmarks luckily, but I think you should try this and see if it makes a difference. Good luck!
tannygirl
3392 posts
I have growth marks on my hips, thighs and butt and even though they're not severe they never disappeared. The bit of coloring in my skin makes them stand out, maybe the same white lines don't show up on caucasian girls. I just learned to accept them and avoid tanning as that makes them stand out more on me at least. One good thing though is no one has ever pointed them out to me or called me ugly for having them.
1139 posts
Tannygirl - white stretch marks definitely show up on this Caucasian girl ;)
StayClassy-xo
240 posts
Haha here here Elena. Sad but true!
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
thanks macs :) that's so true we just have to accept our bodies. Wise words xx
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Do what you need to minimize the appearance of your stretch marks but wear them as a badge of honour, for the achievement of your goal. Congratulations on that too.
Kia
550 posts
Thank you sooo much ladies for all the responses!!
I have to same, I am very disappointed to learn that they never really go away, because my body looks terrifying right now. 

I'll be investing in some rosehip oil and collagen pills and I'll keep you posted on the details. 

@1mamabear - I lost 16kgs in just under 2 months, on a no carb, high protein diet. You have to have a lot of will power, but I am proof you can do it and that it works! I cut out all sugar, wheat, gluten, and only eat lean meat and vegetables. Although if I were to do it again, I would probably not 'rush' the weight loss progress so much, because I now have a lot of stretch marks to get rid of. I've heard gradually losing weight helps prevent stretchmarks. 
SandieNZ
424 posts
Well done Kia, that is incredible!!  I really admire your dedication, that is a huge amount of weight to lose, you must feel so much healthier for it.  I have lots of stretchmarks, mostly from my babies but some on my thighs from weight - when I first got them, they were AWFUL.  I hated them, I hated looking at them or hubby seeing them....but....they have faded hugely over time, and now I don't mind them at all.  I feel like they kinda tell my life story, and in a weird way I'm proud of them.  One thing I read on facebook (good old facey) that really resonated with me was about stretchmarks and it said something along the lines of "I'm a tigeress who has earned her stripes!"

I really hope you find something that works for you chick, but you should feel so incredibly proud of what you have accomplished. xx

Kia
550 posts
I do like that line of advice! And I'm so proud of myself. I guess I'll have to learn to deal with it right.
Cesy
162 posts
I try and tell myself my stretch marks are tiger stripes and I'm just a bad ass for having them ;) 

Marcel
335 posts
I think stretch marks are something we all dislike and fuss over ourselves about but we don't care/ aren't bothered that others have them, and actually most people probably aren't going to be bothered whether you have some or not. I had one boyfriend who was mean about it but who cares he was an ass, the others thought they were cool and most had some also, in fact most even more so than me. If I see a woman in a bikini (or a guy) who has stretch marks I honestly don't believe that it makes them look any less attractive, so I just need to remember that of myself also and not let it bother!
Marcel
335 posts
Oh but there are some things you can do use to greatly minimize the appearance of them, (because while it's best to have some acceptance of it as the chances of erasing are minimal, I think most of us would still rather they weren't there.) What has worked best for me is needle rolling, exfoliating, massaging and moisturizing, routinely. I think it matters more about consistency in paying attention to the affected areas rather than the actual product you are using. I've tried countless products and I honestly think the expensive specifically formulated creams are no better than something like olive oil or a vitamin e moisturizer from the supermarket.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!