Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Split ends!! Is it possible to fix them without trimming?

18 posts, 14 members
Marcel
335 posts
Split ends are a problem for me it doesn't help that I have a really bad habit of pulling at them! I've tried plenty of products that claim to repair split ends but nothing has worked so I can only conclude thus far that it is impossible for any product to have the ability to repair them. What do you think?

I recently heard something about burning off split ends with a candle, sounds dodgy I know but looks like it might be the answer..?? Anyone heard of this or tried it? See the article here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2664089/Could-BURNING-split-ends-better-haircut-FEMAIL-puts-hot-new-Brazilian-trend-test.html
Susilia
484 posts
I wouldn't go near my hair with any kinds of fire, do you know how quickly hair burns? You blink twice and you're bald! I know as I've had an accident when I was little (yeah, shouldn't have played with that candle, lol)
Kia
550 posts
That sounds ridiculous! I would not trust it what so ever. Burning hair is way more dangerous and bad for the hair than any split end ever! 

While there is plenty of products that claim to "fix" split ends, none of them work 100% and a trim is the only way to really fix it. 
courtspace
84 posts
I don't think i'd be game enough to set my hair on fire!
I would just say lots of deep conditioning treatments focused on the ends. Coconut oil is supposed to be really good.

If you catch them early you generally don't lose much in a trim anyway! 
cushlaH5
178 posts
becareful hun!! i wouldnt risk it if i was you. is it really that hard to have a trim? its just a couple cms

Bird
231 posts
I'm hoping I dont get in trouble for saying this but I think half the time those online articles are pretty poorly researched!
Heavens to goodness please dont burn your hair! The thought seriously makes me cringe lol, I might suggest having a wee trim & getting a good hair mask.
Marcel
335 posts
So that's a negatory on the hair burning then lol
100_percent_ash
488 posts
No product can repair split ends you are right there. Once the hair splits the only way to return it to unsplit it to cut it. Don't pull at it as it will just further weaken the ends and lead to a new split.

The best strategy for split ends is to get a good trim - don't be afraid it's just hair it WILL grow back!!!! Then work on the condition of your hair. Styling and colouring are the worst culprits for damage but to an extent they can be managed with regular treatments, heat protectants, and minimising styling (give your hair a break from blowdrying and straightening when possible). 

Other culprits are over-washing and brushing while wet.

There are some great treatments available but most supermarket ones are external so not overly effective. Internal treatments that you recieve or purchase to take home in salon are much better as they work on the inside of the shaft not just sealing it from further damage.

A cheaper option that I personally use is coconut oil. I apply the tiniest little amount to my wet hair and let dry naturally. It smooths it, makes it shiny and leaves it really soft. I'm a bottle blonde and haven't had a single split end since I started doing this.

Burning split ends seems like a time consuming and smelly way of getting rid of them even if it did work and won't prevent new ones unless you address the damage that's causing them in the first place.

Marcel
335 posts
Brushing hair while wet that must be what I'm doing wrong!! Thanks for the tip never would have thought that would be causing the damage and been wondering why my hair does get so damaged as I don't color, wash around every 3 days, use a heap of repairing serums, and only use the straightening iron a couple times week.
kirstysays
762 posts
Oh my gosh there's no way burning your split ends is safe or effective a good trim is the best option and then taking good care of the hair to prevent further damage.  I like to use coconut oil also as well as jojoba oil too.
You can't fix split ends but you can help to prevent them.  No way should you try burning them off!  Hair burns really fast you could end up with a very uneven hair do!  Not the mention the smell of hair burning is sooo bad!  Better off to get then trimmed off then use good products to protect  your hair.  Better off getting a tiny trim every 8 weeks than leaving it too long then needing to get heaps cut off.  
100_percent_ash
488 posts
A wide toothed comb is the best tool for detangling while wet
Kia
550 posts
The detangler works like magic! definetly recommend investing in one! 
Jesse
745 posts
Yeah reading this after picking at my split ends in the car earlier.... I really need to book in for a trim!
MissQT
1547 posts
Try morrocan argan oil. It won't fix the split ends completely but it will heal some of them, and its also good to use to maintain your hair once you get the split ends trimmed. I used to blow dry my hair a lot and it was very dry. After using argan oil after I wash my hair (I apply it to damp hair) my hair has become so much softer. You can buy cheap ones from the supermarket. Garnier and organix have one. Or farmers sell several brands.
Macs
5351 posts
Hi there, yes I am also having problems with split ends. The only was I can deal with it is by cutting it off. Not an ideal situation. Ive always had my hair long. But when its time to get the split ends done I get it cut and the hair grows back renewed. I used to straighten and blow dry my hair every day, but it just damaged my hair so bad. I only do it on occasion and argan oil or morrocan oil seems to be the go to. Havent tried it though.
Hollie
320 posts
I have no idea about fixing them once they are there, but I did used to be very split-end-prone but now very rarely need a trim (and then not due to split ends but just give my hair a bit of shape as it grows out).

Using a deep hair conditioner mask (like De Lorenzo, Fudge, Giovanni, Andolou etc) a few times a week helps no end, as does using treatments for the ends (there a tons out there) plus a good hair oil serum or leave in conditioner after washing. And it's no more split ends for me for the past year, despite being a recovering bleach addict!
jaybeejack
116 posts
Once you have them there is no cure other than to trim them off.

Masques and deep conditioners will smooth the cuticle and make you hair feel nice but it wont repair split ends.

Hair grows from the scalp, not the ends - so trim off the bad split ends and take care of new hair coming through (and the rest) so hopefully you get less of them going forward :)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!