Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Spidery cheek veins

9 posts, 5 members
VickieM
18 posts
Hi ladies, apologies if this has been discussed before, if so, can you point me in the direction of the thread.  If not, does anyone have any experience of having spidery veins on the face/cheeks treated? 

I've done a bit of research and laser seems to be the answer but I'd love to hear from anyone who has had this done.  How many treatments?  How uncomfortable was it?  What was the recovery time afterwards in as much as how soon before your skin returned to normal?  Where did you go and would you recommend?  An approximate cost, I'm assuming this would be per session and everyone is different, but I'd just like a ballpark figure.  Any recommendations of a clinic in Auckland would be appreciated!!!

Lots of questions....hoping for lots of answers  :)
Robertsj
1 posts
It depends if they are new or deep-set?
I occasionally get them after a cold or sneezing a lot and they disappear after a few weeks.
if they are deep-set you would need to go to somewhere like caci clinics and get a quote, photo rejuvenation can cost up to $680, so it's worth shopping around.
Photo therapy would hurt a LOT less
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Unfortunately, the Beauty Review search function on forum posts is still not working, so I can't find and link the thread I posted when I had IPL treatment done on the veins on the side of my nose, cheek and under my ear.   

My two rounds IPL were done 5 weeks apart.  After each IPL session, the stinging burny feeling lasted around 20 minutes, the blister/slight swelling for about 24 hours, but the bruising lasted 3-4 days.  Cost varies depending on the area to be treated, size, colour, severity, etc. There's a downloadable detail sheet on here detailing downtime, what to expect, etc. 

The IPL was done at the Skin Institute, and it worked on the spider veins on my cheek and under my ear.  I had two rounds of IPL treatment, and I'm not going to lie, it hurt like hell, bruised and blistered, especially on the outside of my nose. And, after all that, the veins on my nose reappeared after 3 months. I have chronic rhinitis all year around, so I know the veins are allergy related and I'll never get rid of them completely.

I'm now my using DMK's Red Vein Cream (from Chrysalis Beauty), and it seems to be helping.  They don't bleed as often as they used to since using this cream. 
VickieM
18 posts
Thanks Silvene for the response and the link.  Would you mind saying how much you paid per treatment?  I just have no idea, is it a few hundred or are we talking several thousand?  Would you recommend the Skin Institute?
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I paid for the first consult and treatment, the follow-up consult and second treatment was free (included in the initial treatment price based on the size and area to be treated).  I don't remember exactly how much it was,  but I don't think it was more than $150 for the small area that I had treated. 

I was happy with the service I received from the Skin Institute.  I've used them multiple times over the years for various skin checks.  They do offer a virtual free vein assessment, where someone will assess and chat to you online before you need to decide or book any appointments.  I did my free vein assessment in person at one of their clinics, as it was pre-Covid, and I was given all necessary info, cost quote, treatment options, etc. during the assessment. 
VickieM
18 posts
Thanks again, turns out there's a Skin Institute about 5 mins from home so I've made a consultation appointment for 3 weeks time (they must be busy!!), $80 for the consultation, redeemable on the first treatment.  

Will keep this thread posted in case anyone is interested.
VickieM
18 posts
Thought I’d post an update. I had my consultation with the Skin Institute, turns out I have rosacea. Who knew? I certainly didn’t. Very common in those descended from the Celtic countries, which I am. I don’t have the lumps and pustules that some get, just very red cheeks and chin, along with the spider veins. Consultation cost was $80, redeemable on the first treatment.

Had the first round of IPL, which was very intensive, and as someone else said, I”m not going to lie, it wasn’t one of the most pleasant experiences I’ve had. Some areas were more sensitive than others. She gave me a good going over and was very red and burny afterwards. She recommended antihistamines in case of swelling and advised ice packs as much as possible. I thought I had antihistamines at home but sadly they’d expired and no way was I leaving the house again to get some. I didn’t start the ice packs until the following day as I was scared to put anything on my face, not the smartest move in hindsight. I was very puffy for the next 5 days or so, thank goodness for working from home under the covid conditions. Cost was $495 less the consultation fee.

Over the next 3 weeks I saw quite an improvement to the redness but knew I’d be up for another round of IPL, they do say 2-3 appointments, so no surprises there. Second round was another intensive zip-zap to the remaining pinker patches on my cheeks and chin. She has told me that that’s about all she can do and if I want to progress further I’d need to look at laser treatment that will be more direct on the remaining veins, whereas IPL tends to cover more of a broader area. Cost was $0, not sure why, but I wasn’t going to complain. This time round I spent the first 2 days swallowing antihistamines twice a day and ice, ice, and more ice for the first 12 hours. It’s now day 3 and I think most of the swelling has gone, lesson learnt.

I’ll see how my skin looks in another couple of weeks as it continues to improve after the treatment and then I’ll make a decision re laser. I’ve been told not to get anything further done during the summer months due to sun exposure, so I’ll spend the next few months smothered in sunscreen and enjoying a much better looking complexion than I’ve had in years.

So for me, it seems to have worked, my skin colouring isn’t perfect by any means, but the improvement is very noticeable so I’m happy with the choice I’ve made.  The recommendation is a maintence course of IPL every twelve months which I intend to do going forward.
siouxsannah
261 posts
That's great that you have a diagnosis, and a solution, VickieM. I hope the treatment continues to work for you.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Vickie that sounds really good! Glad it is working for you.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!