Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

20 posts, 10 members
MrsO
196 posts
Hi everyone I was wondering if I could get some advice on my nails. I get Excema on my hands and it has affected my nails badly, they are pitted, soft and constantly breaking, peeling and flaking. Any tips?
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Hi MrsO, pitting of the nail plate can be caused by a few different nail conditions that all have very similar symptoms (for example, eczema and psoriasis of the nail).  My advice, as a nail technician, would be that you show this to your doctor or dermatologist and get a proper diagnosis, as nails often reflect underlying medical conditions going on in the body (and it may or may not be related to your eczema).  Your GP or dermatologist will need to determine what is causing this, as well as give you advice on how to treat or manage it.

A nail strengthening treatment (like IBX) may help with the weak, flaking nails, but ideally, you need to treat the cause as well. 
MrsO
196 posts
Thanks, Silvene, I do have steroid cream for the excema but it doesn't seem to help my nails and I don't like using it too much. I might try a collagen supplement again and maybe zinc supplements. I thought about getting gel nails but that would hide the problem.
MrsO
196 posts
I just looked up the IBX nail treatment and will definitely look into that.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
There is nothing wrong with putting gel polish on pitted nails to disguise them once a medical diagnosis has been done.  I say this simply because some of the chemicals used during nail prep may make whatever is causing the pitting worse. 

If it is eczema related, you might have a flare-up from the gel polish remover, acetone or alcohol based products used during nail prep, prior to the gel polish application. 

If you’re interested in finding a professional salon near you that does IBX treatment, this Salon Directory may help narrow your search (just select your area and IBX Treatment from the dropdown menus). 
Tattooprincess
68 posts
Defs check out IBX, I had a couple of treatments a while back, under gel polish, and was amazed at the difference it made to my nails in just 2 treatments - and it was like $10. 
MrsO
196 posts
Thanks, I am pretty sure it is excema related, will double check with my doctor. I will try the IBX treatment it looks good and is affordable. 
Sophia
203 posts
Have you tried Blackmore's Hair Skin and Nails supplement ?
I'm taking it now, my nails have improved but they aren't as troublesome as yours sound! I tried one with marine collagen and it gave me burps so went back to this one. It's taken some weeks to be noticeable but thats to be expected by the slowness of nails. I have less problematic skin also, since taking it.
MrsO
196 posts
Thanks, Sophia, there are a lot of hair skin and nails supplements to choose from, but I will try the Blackmores one. It has good reviews and is on special at Unichem and Life pharmacy's.
Sophia
203 posts
One of my previously flakey nails has actually stopped flaking. I've got one with a big ridge that I'm really hoping will grow out and stay out. I might even be able to use polish if I keep up the treatment. 
Shop around for cheapest price as it can be anywhere from $13 to $21 for 1 month worth, and that's quite a big difference!
SmileyPisces
253 posts
Yes sometimes the foods we eat can also help improve nail strength, such as foods with biotin, collagen and gelatin.  I also use Sally hansen's nail growth miracle for a little support. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
  The times when I've had the strongest nails have been when I've been eating lots of veggies, particularly cruciferous ones and leafty greens. I have eczema on my hands too so I have to wear gloves whenever I wash dishes or cook a meal or hand wash laundry. I haven't been able to completely get rid of eczema it at times, although a thick barier cream does bring some relief and a medical ointment. I've also avoid using really hot water to wash my hands or shower and no longer use freshly boiled water for dishes. I also avoid heavily fragranced hand creams and stick to more gentler and unfragranced ones, especially when I have a bout of eczema or just go with Oasis Beauty Rhino Repair. I hope you find something that helps.
MareeB
5239 posts
6 weeks inot my vegan diet and my nails are shiney, strong and the spots and ridges are gone. And do you know what? I didn't notice until I just read this thread and looked at them - amazing!
Macs
5351 posts
My nails are doing the same thing lately . Might try some of these suggestions out.
MrsO
196 posts
I've started taking Blackmores Nails, Hair and Skin to see if it makes a difference, hopefully. 
MareeB
5239 posts
MrsO have you tried taking tablsp of flaxseed oil every day? you can buy it from New World in the same place as cotton balls and shampoos etc for around $10. I highly recommend it. You can read about it online. Or eat avos and/or take avo oil every day.
shazatron101
5112 posts
My midwife insisted i take flaxseed all through pregnancy and then some... 6 of the horse sized pills a day.. ill never touch it again for as long as i live lmfao
MissDilly
229 posts
I cook with flaxseed oil, and use it in dressings - it's great in food, and has the health benefits too!  Even our labrador gets it drizzled in his dinner each night!
MareeB
5239 posts
LOl you did it the hard way Shaz. You can't taste the oil in a smoothie. I just swallow a tblsp each morning. I've just started recently and I'm taking it to improve my thin hair.
MrsO
196 posts
Thanks ladies, I have heard good things about flaxseed oil before, so I will try this. I am going to start making healthy smoothies so will add the flaxseed to this.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!