Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Soap products - so called "handmade"

12 posts, 11 members
Nzjersey
7 posts
I have noticed lately, in garden centres, malls, some certain shops, that many have "hand made" soaps, all looking identical to ones that you would see in the likes of Lush. 
Is there any real way we can tell that these products are most certainly hand made like they are suggesting? Or moreover that they are indeed "natural" ?
it has sprung to mind because I saw two identical looking soaps but with different manufacturing details so I bought them and compared. 
Now I do understand people have better things on their more beauty conscious minds but this has bugged me, as I like premium priced soaps to give as gifts to be as unique as they can be.
thoughts? 
cushlaH5
178 posts
pretty sure lush soaps are actually hand made. if your not sure buy it from a market where the person who actually made it is selling them. i dont think  there is any way to tell
notjaya
62 posts
If I saw identical soaps with different branding, I'd say it's coming from a bigger supplier and people reselling it with their own label. That said, it will be really hard to tell the authenticity of the product being handmade. Try talking to the seller to see how well they know their soap?
Kia
550 posts
It's not very difficult to make hand made soap - so I dont think a company would take the time out and claim that it is handmade when it isn't. But in saying that, some companies could.

I know that Lush do genuinly make handmade soaps - there are even youtube videos that explain the process inside the Lush factory.

Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
I'm pretty sure most are handmade. I've tried myself and it's really not hard. They might look the same because they use the same mold. No much difference to me anyway. But I do like when I get gifted with handmade presents made by that person. 
Lutece
1849 posts
That's an interesting question, I would like to know too
Nzjersey
7 posts
Thank you everyone, it is such a confusing world in trade out there, that at times no one can tell if the labels are true to their words. Thanks for the advice on lush I will check it the videos 
in the meantime if anyone knows of Genuine Soap makers let me know:) 
jenni_bird
37 posts
Fancy seeing you face pop up in here :) Have you checked down at the markets on a Saturday hun, I have the feeling theres a stall there that sells soaps and things
Mila
1209 posts
I guess you'll never really be totally 100% sure but there are so many places that make them I cant see why people would want to falsify it but you never know :)...I love handmade soaps, I use handmade solid shampoo's and stuff aswell.  I just started buying of a lady who makes them and  I love hers they are all totally natural which is why I like them :)
Ataraxia
82 posts
I don't know how I missed this thread!
I think the best way to get an idea is by looking at the ingredients list, soaps are mostly made up of fats found in various oils and milks, lye and sometimes fragrance & colouring agents of some kind.
I make all of my own soap at home because I can better control what goes into them and make sure colouring is as natural or skin friendly as possible and my scents are from essential oils and so on. There really is no need to put SLS or anything like that in as you can use certain oils to create a bar that foams more and so on :)
melly650
375 posts
I agree, the ingredients will usually tell you if something is handmade or not. Most people won't put all sorts of additives/preservatives/things you can't pronounce in handmade things - or too many products, so the longer the list of ingredients the more likely it will be manufactured in a factory...
mamaK
75 posts
Interesting thread. My mum and I love handmade soaps, I don't use them but love popping them in my linen cubboards or in my dresser draws they make our towles and clothing smell delish!
We normally buy from markers and little boutique stores where its guaranteed they were hand made

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!