Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Since joining BR have you changed your preferences?......

27 posts, 22 members
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
Good morning my gorgeous ladies!  I was just thinking this morning how much my makeup, skincare and hair care preferences have changed since joining BR. Making decisions based on what other people think of them.  I used to just pick up drug store makeup and make do but now that I have a better idea of my skin and its needs I have raised my expectations. I used to go for nothing but normal skin skincare and matte finishes but now I know my skin is uber dry so changed up the skincare to match that and like a dewy finish now.  It got me to thinking, have any of you changed your mind on things like that since joining BR? 
chikoboo
3402 posts
Definately!! I've tapped into my need to try lots of different things and to review them.  I tend to buy way more than I used to, and probably need because I have this need to write about them, I want to see first hand how something is.  Oh that made me sound super greedy!! lol.

I love how BR has opened our eyes to so many alterative brands, some of which aren't so main stream =)
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Morning :)
Totally. Before spending $20 on a lipstick or single item was breaking the budget. Why spend more when you can get the same item cheap. Well Crikey now I go for products that are good for my skin, fur babies and not good for my bank account ;)
Lutece
1849 posts
Good morning beautiful!

I agree with you, BR has changed the whole beauty thing for me, before I went for bargains and the cheapest options.

Now I go for more pricey better quality products, I own about 15 lipsticks when before BR I owned 2, a have a growing candle collection when I had 1 before BR, and I have more confidence when shopping for beauty related items when I go to a store (or online) but in saying that my wish list is x100 bigger now too.
-Bex-
611 posts
Totally!! If I read a great review on something wether I need it or not I will buy it, whereas before I would umm and ahh and ponder. I have been introduced to so many great companies, my makeup collection has probably tripled since BR. I didn't know about serums pre BR. Changed almost everything... I could go on and on 
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Ummm that's a BIG YES I have changed so much in my ways and opinions of products. I have quite a collection from what I had at the start of 2015. I've also changed my skin care brand totally when I swore by my previous brand but I think it was the affordable side doubled with the GWP of that brand why I purchased it. Now I'm all about seeing great results & I've ALWAYS had exspensive taste & now I've reestablished that tastefulness& have a few highend products that once I thought was high end was more that our brands are exspensive in NZ. I think I've began rambling now. The short of it all is in under 12 months I've changed so much & obtained products I never ever knew off even for example BOSSY COSMETICS AND OASIS BEAUTY.
Macs
5351 posts
Hey Shana, 

I went from one BB cream and two lipsticks. To now over 20 lipsticks . My skin care was st Ives scrub and a nivea face cream. Now my skincare is all anti ageing and spf. I get enabled easily and fall into hypes sometimes. I've changed big time. 
Rezee
1964 posts
My collection has grown like crazy now too, I actually need to make myself not read so many good reviews on things!
I've learned about NZ brands now, I would never have found out about oasis or even trilogy.
I found real techniques and I herb from here too.
I also look after my skin so much more, I very rarely go to bed with makeup on (I have to be sick-dying first). I use oils and serums now too.
A lot has changed for me since joining up here!
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Yes! Thanks to reviews I now read before I look at buying certain products. I have also been introduced to many techniques when applying my make I normally would never of imagined doing before joining BR. I look at nz based products before any others and I've learnt to be bold and beautiful not shy and reserved when it comes to makeup. You have to try right?! :)
Advice from the BR babe's on forums has also been helpful, and the articles written are great!
I actually take care of my skin now and know what works for it and what doesn't :)
shazatron101
5112 posts
Good afternoon lovely! I'd have to agree, certain aspects of my life have changed for the better because of BR. I now know what I can use on my face without it hating me and breaking out further. I moisturize most of the time when it used to be only some of the time ;-). My hair has never been better thanks to handy hints. And I, like many others, come to BR to read the reviews before making a purchase. It's just such a handy fountain of never ending knowledge (and enabling). 
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
What I forgot to also mention is the reviews they're the ultimate reason to make a purchase and if I fail to read reviews then asking in the forum is the next best bid something that life can't give us in an everyday cionvo that BR can do. I mean when I talk makeup to my friends they look at me awkwardly so here it's not foreign it leads to enabling each other hahaha & it's just down right fun.
MareeB
5244 posts
I think my greatest change is that I now use serums all the time and love them. I didn't know about them before BR. I've tried tons of products/brands I probably would never have even heard of if I hadn't come on BR and gotten more experimental :)
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
Oh I totally get where all of you are coming from.  I too didn't know serums existed before BR.  For my hair sure but not my face!  My makeup has tripled too hehe from thin lizzy 6 in 1 with all the extras all the way to now having to have two chests of draws for everything I have now.  I too have learned that spf is a must have and not just a sometimes thing.  My skin and hair have never looked better thanks to the lovelies in the forum answering my questions and finding out about brands on here.  Makes life easier knowing we can come here and make a more informed decision.
chloednz
217 posts
Yes abolutely! I used to have a small collection of drug store makeup, and thought that coughing up for high end items was crazy- I'm definately now seeing that some items are absolutely worth the extra $$. Also I finally have a decent skincare routine, which I'm sure my skin will thank me for as I age, although currently my skin is worse than ever (stupid hormonal acne). And Korean skincare/cosmetics are absolutely amazeballs- something I was totally unaware of before BR.
kirstyj
1732 posts
I love this thread! It is really cool to hear what people take from BR.

I think my collection has definitely expanded! I love how many different brands I try now though. Especially NZ ones that I had never heard of before BR. I have always been a fan of high-end because my Mum pushed me in that direction, but now I have learnt that there is some amazing drugstore items around and I am a huge fan of them too. I think I have pushed myself a lot more with techniques since joining BR... I don't think I would have ever tried Clown Contouring before seeing it on BR.
Mila
1209 posts
Yes for sure .... I owned a lot more drugstore and cheaper items before than since i've joined BR.  I've tried way more products than I ever thought I would, found a few holy grails im not sure how I ever lived my life without.  My brows and skin have thanked me for the last year or so of learning haha :)...My wallet however has not :(.....

I've learnt so much and found so many wonderful products I honestly cant remember my makeup/skincare before BR 
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Not to sound dramatic, but BR has changed my life.. and my preferences too. I always use to love makeup, but had just the basics, a mascara, eyeliner, foundation, and maybe a couple of cheap quads from Maybelline.  BR has changed all of that (Don't make me post a pic of my messy makeup collection), and I have also got a taste for the more expensive things in life.
Yes. I have started using more expensive products and trying more in skincare such as serums.
Koni
444 posts
Hello lovelies! It's great reading how BR has contibuted to our preferences and ummm our common struggle with our bank accounts haha.

BR has fine-tuned my preferences to the extent that I've reduced my collection - so liberating - and making room for brands I'd never think twice about. Oasis Beauty and EOH who? This is not to say I've stopped buying (a little hard with all you enablers haha) I just exercise more self control (highlighters don't count).
chikoboo
3402 posts
Koni you are so right highlighters don't count lol I think over the past month I have brought 5 new ones, because I needed them....yeah right hehehe
janini9
341 posts
Oh I have completely changed. Before BR, I didn't own any primers, eyeshadows, eyebrow products or highlighters, and only had one blush that I never used. I only used makeup for "going out" which was pretty much non existent anyway. So now I have a collection of lovely products and am having a blast learning about makeup application - something I never really grasped in my youth. I have been introduced to some wonderful enterprising NZ companies, cult products, and the low down on high end products. The reviews and info from BR. Members are invaluable in helping to make choices. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Oh god. So so so much. Ive gone from a random collection of cheap stuff to..well... is makeup insurance a thing?

Lol

I think the biggest change is that i have lost the fear of 'what might ppl think' & i just trust myself and my instincts now
kirstyj
1732 posts
Lol Trudi! I know one of the girls on here had an insurance issue and the insurance assessor didn't believe that she had all that makeup just for personal use!!! I feel like I would pay for makeup insurance... but how would they cover my limited edition products :P ... this reminds me of that age old question if all your makeup dissapeared what would you actually repurchase.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I believe it kirsty. It was so hard to itemise my jewellery when it all got stolen esp as it was half gifts from over a dozen countries. I got about a third of the value paid out i reckon. If it were other hobby related gear it would be different!
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Yes as I like to think I am more aware of what is going on my face. I have also tried items that I wouldn't necessarily use.

Trudy & KristyJ - check your contents policy as thats where you make up should be covered but as it is used you may find that it is only covered for market value not replacement. eg brand new perfume $100 - replacement would be $100 market value maybe $50.
Jewellery is different and if you don't have items specified if over a certain amount/value they won't cover it any higher. It's not just stolen or lost though. Say you have a diamond ring and it loses the stone, insurance should replace that.
Make sure you are covered for taking your items out of the house as well as accidental damage because you don't drop your phone down the drain normally.
tannygirl
3392 posts
Oh yes reviews are definitely what influence my decisions on here. I have discovered so many brands besides what I found on Healthpost and at Farmers. I have to say the ammount of stuff I buy online has gone up heaps.
SandyGedge
394 posts
ahhh heck yes!! before BR, my makeup collection consisted of black mascara, black eyeliner and thin lizzy.  yes that was all I had right up untill I turned 30.  I then got a retail jon which stated in my contract that I had to wear makeup, at the minimun lipstick.  ahh i hated lipstick and never owned any, I actually thought that makeup was a waste of money! (can't believe I just said that! haha)  I googled something one day and up popped BR, I joined, was introduced to the most amazing women who were so kind and gave me the encouragement to get out of my comfort zone and try ew things, the rest is history so to say  ;-)  I now own so much that it would take me years to get through it all and I always find myself eagerly reading reviews before I purchase now.  I even take better care of my skin...heck even my feet get pampered now!  hehehe

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!