Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Share your beauty disasters!

26 posts, 21 members
Lutece
1849 posts
I thought this would be fun since we have been given our weekly fix of articles and one of the topics was on avoiding beauty disasters, 

Mine was when I first started drawing on my eyebrows, I used powder and didn't set them, it wasn't until I saw photos of a gathering I went to that I saw I only had half an eyebrow on one side, the part I had drawn on must have rubbed off, this was when I used to shave the outer edges of my eyebrows and draw the rest on,

what are your beauty disasters?
Rezee
1964 posts
Oh no!
Well I'm sure I've had lots of disaters, over doing blush etc but my most recent one was when I was using mineral foundation. I put it on a bit heavy handed in the morning but it looked pretty good and I even got comlimented in the morning but I went to my course and then went up town to do groceries and only after I got home did I check my makeup! The powder had cracked so badly on my cheeks and around my nose, I looked like a clown really, totally awful.
This was in April I think, I haven't worn mineral foundation since then!!
nemesisroxx
506 posts
Oh gosh!! I've had many!! But my most disturbing one is when I went to my cousins 21st I was trying a new foundation and in my room, it looked so great!! I felt gorgeous!! Then a few days later I saw photos of me and I wanted to gag! I looked like a ghost! I'm normally light-mid brown... But I was ghostly/sickly white in every pic! Oh the horror and shame -.- haha
isemonger
224 posts
Hahahah - oh dear.... Just thinking about this makes me laugh!

I decided to wax my bikini line myself..... my phone rang and I reached to get it while wax was setting on me, as I reached for the phone.... the wax stuck everywhere and this meant I spent the next 2 hours trying to get wax off. Lesson learnt. Somethings are best left to the professionals.
chikoboo
3402 posts
When I was just getting into makeup and I didn't really know what I was doing or how to deal with my pale skin as all my friends were tanned in the summer and poor me was either white or red.  I was forever the sinner of foundation line along the jaw as I didn't know about blending and what shade was correct for me, it makes me shiver when I see old photos.  Thanks gawd for my grunge/goth period where I found white foundation and the ability to blend.   Also cheek blush......I started with an Avon pink blush that made me look like a ragdy ann doll as it was always applied too thickly and again I didn't know what the heck I was doing.
sophie4cats
139 posts
Oh man so mayny, and unfortunately I'm still making them! When I first started colouring my eyebrows I spent the first few weeks colours them so dark and thick it looked like I;d put them on with Vivid! Also I used to wear lots of eye make up but because of my semi-hooded eyes I;d get horrible creasing and smudges all over the show Thank goodness for eye lid primer! I als think most of us are guilty of wearing the wring shade of Foundation for far too long!
Mila
1209 posts
Back when I first started wearing makeup and I discovered blusher for the first time (I should add a few drinks were involved first) never ever put makeup on while indulging in a few beverages ! I was a touch heavy handed with the blush... it ended up like Mimi of the Drew Carey Show. 
and Eyebrows I have only just gotten into that this year and its really taken some practise to get that looking right I think because im so fair I have to be careful they dont look to dark and drawn on !. 

haha the mineral foundation made me chuckle...I did that when I first starting using it to but like anything practise makes perfect buff buff and more buffage less is definately more ! :)
Jeseta
34 posts
Neon yellow eyeshadow.... Enough said!
tannygirl
3392 posts
 -Mine was shading my eyes the wrong way for my hooded lids, also when I started doing brightly colored eyeshadows and creams at that it creased so badly I had all the eyeshadow at the very outer corners of my eye and where the crease was a very bright green, blue or a purple line.
-Also using the wrong foundation and too much left me looking very ghostly pale in photos and I didn't know about blending into my neck and the poorly matched foundation, simply three shades of foundation to choose from and it looked bad.
-Bright red orangey, lipstick and the wrong bright red shade for me. I tried to look glamorous in an orangey red shade and I ended up looking cheap. To top it off I didn't exfoliate or moisturize my lips either so I'm sure the orangey red, flakes around my mouth really complimented the mismatched lipstick shade. I avoided red for years and then a couple years ago started wearing a plum shade and it looked good. I now like burgundy, plum and wine shades of lippy.
-Probably also over applying blush and looking okay for now but too flushed later.
- Defining my eyebrows with a heavy hand and a black pencil. The interesting thing is my eyebrows are already dark and sometimes had a really good shape so I don't know why I went heavy handed in the first place.
MareeB
5241 posts
OH CRINGE - I totally remember applying foundation when I was young ( and skin as white as snow) and leaving a tide line around my chin. I didn't notice until I went to the bathroom at work in the daylight (went to work in the dark in those days) and noticed - dark brown face and white neck!!!! Oh the horror!! I couldn't bring myself to wear foundation for years afterwards...
Macs
5351 posts
I had liquid eye liner on. I must of rubbed my eye. When I went to the toilet I  looked in the mirror and saw I had a black eye lol . 
RianaRoera
82 posts
My beauty disaster is putting eyeliner on when I had bad hayfever and sinuses, I would continue to rub my eyes causing them to look like I had been given a black eye. Never again, must say I hate spring
MicheleC
419 posts
Putting on eyeliner and finding it transferred to my hooded eye. I recently changed my makeup routine. The reason I did this is because I discovered how much eyeshadow fallout there had been. After putting on eyeshadow one day I had cause to clean under my eyes and used some cleanser. Oh My! There was so much colour sitting there. It was hard to tell as it was dispersed and just added to the darkness under my eyes but when it was cleaned away and on the tissue I was staggered how much eyeshadow ends up there. Another thing I do is blot my lipstick before eating. I get the serviette and open it and use the inside to blot (this hides it from everyone). I have had occasion where after eating I have found lipstick all around my lips in a rather unattractive arrangement!!
MareeB
5241 posts
..and of course my best friend and I thought we were Olivia Newton-John in Grease with our awesome 80's perms...oh I hope no one anywhere remembers us from those days...dancing to Saturday Night Fever up and down the main street of Dunedin with our bad perms and starsky and hutch cardigans  .....lol..good times...
notjaya
62 posts
I attended a wedding yesterday. I came home to see that bits of mascara has fallen off under my eyes! x_x
Kia
550 posts
I've had so many, but for the life of me I can't remember many right now. I did have one where I tried to dye my hair violet with manic panic and my hair turned Oscar the grouch green! Not pretty at all. Reading all your foundation stories reminds me of a huge beauty mistake a friend of mine made on our High school graduation night. She has really dark Indian skin, and wanted to put something on her face to cover her acne, but she chose to wear a really powdery, ghost white powder foundation and the poor thing looked like a ghost the whole night! 
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
For about a year I was totally in to dying my hair black, but then decided I'd go back to being blonde, so I grabbed a blonde dye from the supermarket, as opposed to bleach, and attempted to dye my black hair blonde...the end result? My (2 months of regrown) roots were blonde and the rest of my hair was still black. It looked soo filthy! Haha

The beauty mistake I made for the longest time was wearing a mascara that smudged under my eyes. It happened every day yet I didn't think to change my mascara?! I'm sure that only stopped like 6months ago. Crazy to think about now.
pintsize
1072 posts
Just been having a read through some old posts and I thought I am sure there was a recent precious lippy disaster involving a small child.

I bring this back up as my 2yo son has recently taken to markers and I found him with my Eye of Horus teal malachite pencil just as he was about to smudge my newly painted walls with it.  My pencil didn't get off unscathed either as my son now has teal arms and fingers.
I still am unsure how he even managed to grab it but he is known to climb :( might need to start locking my bedroom door.

I hope this washes out of clothes :/
at least it wasn't a retractable pencil so he could only do so much with what was there.
Macs
5351 posts
I have set up a beauty station. Since you've mentioned your son. My son sat on my chair picked up my orange lippy and put it on. Then grabbed my new liquid liner and drew spiral patterns on his face. So now that lippy is binned because he broke it in half. He says all I need now is perfume mum. Reaches for the katy perry purr lol Luckily that lippy was a asian $2 shop one
pintsize
1072 posts
Oh No Macs, but it's kind of cute too lol
Obviously watching what mummy does :) and wants to join in.

I know the original thread was about the things we have done ourselves but I have heard many a disaster occurring to a favourite product (toddler involvement or not) and was curious if others want to share those kind of disasters as well :/

I remembered I knocked over my Linden Leaves foot refreshing spray and it smashed and went everywhere (which was odd because I honestly thought the bottle was plastic).  My house smelled like it for weeks.

trudijoy
8375 posts
My Mum recently dropped her newish bottle of Revlon gel polish in her bathroom and it smashed on the tiles - it took her forever to get the polish splashes off the loo and tiles!

I dropped a loose powder shadow on the carpet once and the more I tried to clean it the worse it got.
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
Ugh toddlers and makeup do not go together! My Mr 2 is obsessed with my nail polish, he manages to hunt it out no matter where I hide it! I'm always finding him with the lids off painting his nails (he's not bad at it lol) except the first day of Mr 4 starting kindy I stayed the whole day and hubby was in charge of the 2 year old - got home to dark pink polish all over the carpet.... :/ still working on that one
-Bex-
611 posts
Argh I feel your pain with toddlers and small children hence my profile pic! My lovely then 2 year old thought she would do a smokey eye with my mascara. Grrrr amazing what they pick up on while watching. Although I do not usually smear mascara all around my eye!!! Well try not to anyway. I also had a family member put my eyeliner in with my daughters colouring pencils.. WHY. it looked nothing like colouring pencils. Anyway lessons learnt
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
Here I am to join in the toddler woes. My 2 1/2 year old brother took my mascara and wiped it on the walls (thank God it was a washable type), took my favourite L'Oreal lipstick and put it all over my pillow and mattress, dug his fingers into some of my favourite single eyeshadows and just generally causes havoc at my make up station. He also loves using my Baby Lips. 

On the other hand it's adorable when he sees me applying body butter to my feet and legs so of course he sits down and starts digging into the tub to copy me. 
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
Oh I do know that those white wonder sponges (can never remember what tthey're called) will get ANYTHING off walls. Don't ask how I know.
Macs
5351 posts
I love watching my little ones copy me with make up its kind of cute but disaterous at the same time. I had a favourite white lace top that got ruined cause I forgot I had applied the foundation to my neck. Totally ruined it. They no longer sell this top at that store anymore too. Bit of a bummer.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!