Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Semi BR - healthy (er) eating

26 posts, 10 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
since i got home from 5 weeks on the road eating whatever was easiest that I fancied (mostly burgers) my body has launched some manner of campaign to make me be healthier, of its own accord.

Without even thinking about it i just started making things lik e'meatballs on spinach and avocado' and 'broccoli bolognaise' and i'm actually obsessed with these sorts of meals now.

SOOOOO what are your 'healthy hacks?

I think my top 5 are:

- everything tastes okay served in a bowl of veg - spicy mince? chuck it in a bowl of salad. meatballs? salad.
- the 'I love baking' cookies are worth the heftier price tag, coz they are amazing
- smoothie bowls are pretty and tasty - frozen berries, yoghurt, almond butter, a bit of coconut water... yessssss
- popcorn is as satsifying as chips are (to me)
- apples, yoghurt and almonds - best dessert ever. Well, second best, after coconut cream ice cream
shazatron101
5112 posts
i LOVE the apple and cinnamon oat satchets but i discovered 1/4tsp-1/2tsp of sugar mixed in with 1/4c of your normal oats, you get the exact same product. mind blown really. and this way you're not limited to what flavors the brand sells! and it's like, no dollars a serve!

this also isn't food, but i started doing yoga and it's started my mind on a whole positive vibe, i haven't had a headache for a month (today broke that where i've had one all day, and been cold all day so i think im sick lmao), but i've cut down on sugar in things like tea and i don't put brown sugar on my oats anymore! that's huge for me cos i have a massive sweet tooth lmao

suuuuure they're not healthy eating things but it's health related so it counts right lol
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yeah I was yoga-ing for a bit then got busy and travelly. We are nearrrrrly into the ‘walks in the beach and stuff’ phase that mellows me out but for now I’m building furniture and revamping my entire living space. Amazing how cathartic it is spending $$$ on furniture chosen because I like it and it matches, rather than bc it’s cheap and I can 

glad you’re feeling okay-er Shazam.

its a narky time of year for many ppl, I’m stressed to the eyes and so are 99% of my clients
trudijoy
8375 posts
Those oats sound bommmb too. I’d put cinnamon honey in mine I think
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I don't eat carbs so I am obsessed with finding new food. I love almond bread! I just got some on Sunday and have eaten it every night this week with garlic butter. Also sugar free cheesecake mmmmmm nom nom, while it has lots of cream cheese in it it has no sugar so it must be healthy right bhahahaha maybe not but it sure is delicious.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Ive been doing greek yogurt and lemon curd, no sugar in the oats cos the curd is sweet enough. Omg. Then if im feelin fancy i toast seeds with honey and oh my god. Blow me down and call me martha. So good. I love putting walnuts in too. Brraaaiiinnssss

It is good! I enjoy it, bits of me get in the way so i cant do it all but, ey, at least im getting my body moving first thing lol.

Yes i agree, i live spending money ;-P on things for the house. Ive been ripping out flaxes and that to me has my heart a-flutter, im finally having my garden how i want it hahahaha

What is almond bread!!?!?!
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yummm almond bread and yoghurt and lemon curd

Haha shad I feel that, it was like having boobs and playing netball :/
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Shaz as I don't eat flour but love bread, almond bread is my substitute. Its just almond meal, egg, butter or coconut oil and baking powder. It makes a wee loaf lol. I also have flaxseed bread which is just using flaxseed meal instead. It can taste a bit eggy but i smoother it in garlic butter. The other night i did garlic butter, avocado and tomato with cracked pepper. Omg it was amazing lol. Bearing in mind i don't eat bread and this is the closest thing for me :-)
MareeB
5239 posts
I love almond bread too Lisa, but I only use the whites when I make it. Mmmm gotta put your dried tomato hummus on something!!!!
shazatron101
5112 posts
gah that sounds delish, pity almond meal is too expensive for my blood lmao
trudijoy
8375 posts
Oh I also started taking probiotics (the gummy ones hehe) but omg wow. Made a huge difference 
tannygirl
3392 posts
    I just try to sneak more veg into recipes. More veggies into my eggs or into meat sauces or just steam some veg and eat it on the side. 

I never liked coke or fizzy drinks in general so I have a cup of tea with meals. 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I shall try it with egg whites Matee :-) mmmm I love hummus too but have discovered pams sundried tomato pesto and also red pepper and ricotta which make lovely dips. Lol Shaz yea it is expensive I guess, my grocery bill makes my eyes water some weeks lol.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Mix the pesto dip with cream cheese and roll it in nuts.... easiest, best cheese ball ever.

Tannygirl I don’t drink Soda either.. just fizzy water, herbal tea, coconut water or coffee during the day. Wine at night lol
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Yum that sounds amazing! I must do that, i am slightly obsessed with cream cheese lol.
trudijoy
8375 posts
It’s my ‘oh crap I forgot i was meant to take a plate’ fallback lol. My fave is the basil pesto flavour but they’re all good.

i also make a bacon chilli herb version and a drunken fruit version ;)
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Haha, healthy drinks by day wine at night, I love it. Do you flavour the fizzy water with anything Trudi? I can't stand the taste of most 'healthy' fizzy drinks, but luckily I'm not a huge soda fanatic either. I love making my own ice tea with those water flavour drops and lemon juice in tea.
trudijoy
8375 posts
i'm used to it with nothing else in it now and love it but a few faves to add in....

- herbal teabags esp the fruit ones
- frozen cubes of fresh fruit juice - if i have a half lemon or lime, or mandarin that needs using etc rolling about I juice it and freeze it into cubes, then add the cubes to the fizzy water
- a splash of coconut water, or (on the very occasional chance i have a bottle) juice
- at night sometimes a lil splash of flavoured vodka - not as much for the alcohol content as because its nice without being super sweet
- sweet herbs - a bit of fresh mint floating in water is yum
SmileyPisces
253 posts
I love oolong black tea with dried rose... and i love to add dried golgi berries to my cereals in the morning =D

I love my soups which are basically broths (oil and butter free).... I chuck in all the meat with bones and vegies of my choice, and just let it boil for at least 30 minutes (depending on the vege and meat of choice sometimes may need a little longer... add a little salt.. and drink the broth like soup e.g. carrot, pork bone, ginger, corn on cob. I even add a dried fig and a couple of dried honey dates if i had any for natural sweetness.

itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I'm trying to eat healthier. I only drink water except for when I go out for a drink or something. But I also love chocolate a bit too much.

Tried those I love baking cookies recently. They are good.
trudijoy
8375 posts
aren't they amazing crystal! i love the coconut chocolate chunk ones the best. and dark forest frooze balls, and lamington flavour whole food bars.

Gorgeous pic btw!

pisces i'm not a massive soup person but i use it to make easy risotto sometimes!

I make a lot of japanese fusion in summer - things like chicken tsukune meatballs, hiyayakko (cold tofu with soy and spring onion) and hiyashi chuuka (cold noodles with a dipping sauce and salad)

YUM
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Ive been eating a lot of prawns lately, usually with konjac fettuccine, bacon, mushrooms, green beans then a cream cheese sauce. Its super yummy! Or chicken breast stuffed with spinach, cream cheese and garlic then wrapped in bacon. Omg yes!
Haha yes I love bacon:-)
trudijoy
8375 posts
i eat the konjac noodles (which i know as ito-konnyaku or shirataki) a lot in summer - perfect for hiyashi chuuka. I use yuzu-pon, which is a citrus soy dressing, and top the noodles with that, some cold meat and some salad. SO GOOD
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Yes I love shirataki noodles too! I make them into soupy noodles and they suck up all the flavour. Ive heard they're really nice stir fried too but haven't tried it yet.
Julieal
915 posts
I love herbal teas and fish and prawns - I think if you eat a little of everything rather that excessive amounts of anything you feel mush better - Like the sounf of the gummy pro biotics though Trudi.
KiwiLass
174 posts
I've been finding eating a lot less carbs, sugar, and more fat (keto-type I guess) has been really beneficial for me. No more hangry or cravings.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!