Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Roll On Deodorant Alternatives

23 posts, 11 members
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I'm looking for some alternatives to standard roll on deodorant. Has anyone found anything that has worked for them?

trudijoy
8375 posts
Are you looking for something stronger, or more natural?
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
Well initially I thought more natural as I find roll on deodorant occassionally irritates, but none of the natural things I've tried so far have been strong enough to last all day.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
No.3’s Underbalm is a great natural deodorant that does work, and they’ve just brought out a sample pack of all the variants, so you can try all the scents before committing to full size.

My hubby still uses Underbalm, and he goes running during his lunch breaks, and has a 2km walk from the ferry terminal to his office. He swears by Underbalm and I’ve never smelled BO on him while he’s been using it. 

I’ve just switched from using Underbalm to using Ethique’s Lavender & Vanilla Solid Deo Bar.  It’s day 3 for me now, and it’s just survived a day of stress sweating without any noticeable odour.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I stopped using anti-perspirant roll ons a couple of months ago and switched to solid natural deodorants. I still sweat using these but don't smell (with anti-perspirants I don't sweat but do smell!) I'm not keen on sweating but apparently after awhile your body does adjust and you sweat less. 

I tried the no.3 balm last year and I didn't work for me. I've since used a product called Detoxapit which is (as it says) to detox your armpits to help it adjust to natural deodorants. I'm now using the Ethique solid and I'm also sampling a Lush solid and one from Dirtie Hippie. Hopefully I'll find 'the one' soon. Wearing loose clothing around your armpits helps you to not feel so sweaty too. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
    When I switched from antiperspirant to a natural deoderant my armpits went through a detox period where they were still really sweaty and it didn't seem to work as well but they adjusted soon enough and several natural deoderants have worked. 

The best natural deoderant has been the Black Chicken one the reason why haven't repurchased it for awhile is because it comes in a pot and I prefer something that I can apply without having to stick my fingers in it. And I've come across a really good option. Dept of Soul deoderants. I have been using their deoderant sticks for over a year and I really like them you do pay about 26 bucks for a stick (includes shipping) but given that you get 82g of deoderant it isn't much more expensive than the supermarket prices. I find one stick lasts me about four months and that's with using it twice a day most days. 

I do have sensitive skin and alot of deoderants make my armpits dry and itchy or have a rash but I haven't had any problems with Dept of Soul.

SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Tannygirl, how long did it take your armpits to adjust and stop sweating? It seems like it takes a bit of trial and error to find the right one. I don't want to be tempted to use my left over antiperspirants and then have to start the whole process again. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
    I can't remember exactly but I think the natural deoderant seemed to be working better after two weeks.
tabucutie
1811 posts
Not sure if this is what you are after, but I got the Body Crystal Desire Roll On Deodorant in the last vault and have been using it since June. Its great, does the job, no smell at all throughout the day. I have had no adverse reactions either. The scent of the deodorant itself, im not keen on but it works well.
Kimrose
1412 posts
Gosh, we are so lucky nowadays with so many options.
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
Thanks for all the suggestions :) has anyone tried bonbon's deodorant?
trudijoy
8375 posts
Ah I went the other way. I use either the Mitchum or revlon  clinical ones - they’re stronger and I need the antiperspirant 
MareeB
5239 posts
I use mens ones. Rexona or Lynx usually.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I've used the Bon Bon one in the past they used to have a Whiskey and Vanilla one that was marketed for men supposedly, but I actually liked it better than the other option because it smelt like cake batter to me.
    I didn't have any problems during the day, but when I did use at night I found the baking soda kinda seemed to get on my sheets and it's kinda abrasive. I use a crystal deoderant spray at night and I much prefer that. I haven't tried any of the new repackaged deoderants but they do aim to improve their formulas all the time so I'm assuming it's still good or improved. 
Julieal
915 posts
I am same as Maree =I use men's usually Lynx
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I've looked at the clinical protection antiperspirant before too, but I wasn't sure if they really were more effective.

trudijoy
8375 posts
yeah they're heaps better, i find. I do tend to set it with a powder spray just as a matter of preference. Once it's dry it's good for hours, but I like to top it off with the spray so I can get dressed quicker; it takes a wee while to dry
MissQT
1547 posts
I’ve found that the natural deodorants I’ve used too aren’t as good as non natural deodorants. I’m currently using the rexona clinical protect and find its very effective. It’s a stick deodorant rather than roll on
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
Interesting. What powder spray do you use Trudi?

Thanks again ladies for all the suggestions, so many things to look into.
trudijoy
8375 posts
the nivea 'black or white' one usually. I have the dove one atm and it works but makes me cough
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I use the Dove 48hr roll on in pomegranate. It works well and doesn't leave those dreaded white marks. The only natural one I tried was Sukin and I was not impressed by it.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I've used the clinical antiperspirants before when travelling to really hot countries and they're great! I also prefer the stick format which is quite hard to find in NZ for normal strength antiperspirants. 

There was a really interesting discussion about natural deodorant and antiperspirants on Breakfast this morning. It kinda convinced me that antiperspirants aren't so bad so I might go back to them if the natural ones I'm currently using don't work out for me. I like that a lot of the natural ones come without plastic packaging though. 
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
Less packaging and recycling friendly is always a winner.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!