Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Recycling Your Cosmetic Empties

11 posts, 10 members
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I'm forever on an environmental kick. And I'm pretty good overall at buying products with packaging I can recycle. But I'm currently trying to figure out how to recycle old mascara and lip balm tubes. Any suggestions?

Is there any special cosmetic recycling you do?
siouxsannah
261 posts
I am interested in knowing the same thing. What to do with old makeup containers? In fact, what is the best way to dispose of old makeup? I have a bunch of old lipsticks that are too old to donate to someone. I would love to know what is the best way to dispose of them. 
MareeB
5244 posts
I've wondered that too - and if anyone wants half - full tubes/bottles of stuff (especially shampoo)????
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Most containers I wash out and recycle (or cut open get excess product out, then wash and recycle). A couple of my lip balms I've recycled because the bit that holds the lip balm has fallen out leaving me an empty tube.

There is a garnier recycling program that is supposed to be coming to NZ this year which will allow you to recycle a lot of those products, but at the moment most of those programs only seem to be overseas.
Macs
5351 posts
I normally put majority of my empties recycling. I use all my half unwanted shampoos that are a miss as shaving gel for my legs lol 

EliseMM
120 posts
Macs - so glad someone else uses shampoo as shaving gel!
Julieal
915 posts
I use excess shampoo as body wash but the containers are always a problem- Most plastic can be recycled but lipstick, mascara I never know how to dispose of  the correct way. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
   For mascara, I heard that if you loved the mascara then you keep the wand, wash it out and save for use with another mascara for similiar results. Another idea if you are a DIYer, clean out the mascara tube and brush and put a DIY lash serum or blend of oils to use as lash conditioner at night. 

Otherwise I think a lot of makeup tubes would go in the recycling. Don't throw out fullsized Mac empties! I think if you take 5 or 6 fullsized Mac empties back to Mac you can exchange them for a free lipstick.
MissQT
1547 posts
I'm the same. With big tubes and containers I clean then out and put them in recycling. I re-use smaller jars and pottles for travel. But lipstick tubes and mascara tubes I just chuck in the bin.
swamphen
73 posts
All my plastics go in the recycling, once theyre cleaned out of course.
I am a scrooge so cut open tubes and scoop out the very last dregs.

APART from my MAC empties.  I have a container in the bathroom cupboard I put them in until I have enough to take them in store for a pretty lipstick.  Always the highlight of my year
tabucutie
1811 posts
I recycle what I can but notice that I still chuck out a lot of products with no recyclable packaging. It goes to show what a wasteful society we live in though part of the beauty industry is trying to combat that.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!